Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Xenon HID light Kit  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Joemacster

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 White ABS
Xenon HID light Kit
« on: December 10, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
Has anyone installed a HID light?  I was wanting to increase my visibility.  I was wondering what the pros and cons are.  Here is the link of what I was looking at:

http://www.xenonhids.com/triumph/dual-beam-bi-xenon-h4-9003-hb2-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html?find=1

Offline greaseweasel

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Re: Xenon HID light Kit
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »
I fitted them to my previous bike (TDM900) as the lights were terrible,  but the tigers lights are so good I don't think it needs them, better to add auxiliary lights to increase visibility IMO.

Pros are a very white piercing light.

Cons are they need a warm up time before they are at full brightness and you'll probably have oncoming cars flashing you a lot unless you dip them a lot. Also you need special ones if you want a main beam - on the TDM I only changed one light to HID and the other remained as a normal high beam.

You can get cree LED auxiliary lights now that are as piercing as HIDs and less effort, so id just go down that route like I say.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 12:49:52 PM »
Don't know how much of a "pro" they are in reality, but there's a big "con" they just don't work with a standard reflector and you just end up dazzling and annoying everyone  :151:
2011 white Tiger 800 roadie, with a naff tiger decal on the tank so you know it's me!

Online KildareMan

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 01:13:06 PM »
You want extra visibility then fit some auxiliary lights.  The Triangular shape created between the headlights and the aux lights definitely catches peoples attention.
Stupid is as Stupid does

Offline greaseweasel

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 02:08:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
You want extra visibility then fit some auxiliary lights.

Wish I'd thought of that ;)

Offline Hamishc

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 09:24:22 PM »
I was told by the dealer that they didn't advise fitting HIDs.  This was because the focus of the lapmps wasn't al that good and sometimes they failed the MOT because of poor headlight alignment and focus.  Their view was (and I agree with them) to fit uprated  halogen lamps such as night breaker.  These focussed very well and produced a strong light beam which was much better than the spread out HID beam.

Start there and if you still think you need extra light, fit a pair of LED fog/driving lights such as Bike Viz's cree lights. There's a very good chance that the end result will be much better than fitting HIDs and not al that much different in price.

Regards,

Hamish.
"Haud forrit"
A weegie in the East with a biker wife and 2 crazy border terriers.

Offline Rodders

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 10:04:17 PM »
Kildare man is right, go the auxiliary route if you really feel that the standard lights are not enough (personally I think that they are better than my car lights!).  The only cautions about the use of the auxiliary lights are:
a) that they are closer to the indicators and I feel that this may make it more difficult for some people to see the indicator lights
b) I think that they do make you more visible, but I suspect that they may make it more difficult for some drivers to judge your distance and approach speed.

Offline The Stealth

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Black Tiger 800
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 04:14:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
You want extra visibility then fit some auxiliary lights.  The Triangular shape created between the headlights and the aux lights definitely catches peoples attention.
I have that exact set up the lights and aux lights are plenary and like kill man says it catches their attention

Offline greaseweasel

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 06:07:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rodders [+]
Kildare man is right, go the auxiliary route

Wish I'd thought of that in the first reply :D

Online KildareMan

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800