Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Barkbuster price  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Topcat

• Tiger Pro
Barkbuster price
« on: October 28, 2011, 09:52:13 AM »
Hola guys,

I have been looking for a new set of handguards for the XC as the ones supplied are flimsy and offer no protection in the event of a knock or protection against the elements. I've been looking at the barkbusters storm handguards, problem is the price.

Everywhere I look you need to buy the aluminium backbone and the plastics seperately. The backbone being lowest price 80 and the plastic cover being over 100, thats 180 minimum for a set of hard guards seems crazy money. Anyone know why? I mean you can pick up some nicer accessories or set of accessories for that price. And if not anyone know of any comparable hand guards that have a similar backbone idea? The touratech ones say they are basically unbreakable but they just look like plastic.

Thanks
TC

Offline SelinaXC

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Black XC & WR400
Re: Barkbuster price
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:11:57 AM »
Expensive aren't they... i fitted generic ones to my XTX and was happy with them, have the ali bar and they were 20 http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=BRG03BK&kw=hand+guards

Not suggesting they're anywhere as good as the bike specific ones made by barkbusters / touratech.... but it's a bit of a price difference nonetheless. 
Have some spare ones so may try and fathom if they'll go onto the Tiger in a tidy fashion.
Back in Black - XC#2 picked up 13/08/2011
RIP XC#1 26/04/11 - 01/07/2011

Offline Tiger Balm

• Tiger Jedi
  • South East UK
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 10:31:42 AM »
Good post, I am looking for some uprated handguards too, so keen to get a good fitting strong set.........for the least money.

I have the ram mounted mirrors already
XC in White on the road...(and off)

Offline BigMike

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 11:17:48 AM »
SW motech ones are 99 quid at louis.de

Offline yiannis

• Tiger Master
  • Greece->Seattle->Barcelona
  • Bike: XC ABS
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 12:15:48 PM »
Just a word of caution to anyone not buying tiger-specific ones.

The handlebars have a stupid design at their ends with some adaptors they use for the end bolts. You will run into installation issues with lots of generic guards.

I wrote more info here.

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,3610.0.html

Offline BigMike

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 12:27:17 PM »
the motech ones are tiger specific in case you were referring to those yiannis

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 12:39:20 PM »
The Versys has welded in tapped bushes in the handlebars, so you had to make sure you ordered the right ones for those too, "universal" ones generally use an expanding bolt type fitting (bar ends also)  :028:

I had KTM thick plastic handgaurds on my Versys, they gave better coverage than the OEM Tiger ones and were very robust, robust enough to be transferred to my second Versys after the first was written off in a "post Transit interface situation" and despite the bike having landed on the LH one and scraping along the road, it only had minor scratches and scrapes and was perfectly usable afterwards unlike much of the rest of the LH side of the bike  :138:

The ones that use an aluminium bar make me cringe TBH, sure they look roughty toughty, but have you considered what might happen to your pinkies if the bar got bent on impact? certainly a helluva lot better than nothing, but I'm not entirely convinced they're better than sturdy, well made plastic ones  :084:
2011 white Tiger 800 roadie, with a naff tiger decal on the tank so you know it's me!

Offline Andylaser

• Tiger Master
  • Heavy Metal
  • Bike: Black Roadie
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 12:54:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Andylaser [+]

Andy
Those look plenty strong enough to me and the plastic looks to give much better coverage, I'll have to ask Santa nicely  :001:
2011 white Tiger 800 roadie, with a naff tiger decal on the tank so you know it's me!

Offline Tiger Balm

• Tiger Jedi
  • South East UK
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 01:46:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Andylaser [+]

I have just ordered some.
XC in White on the road...(and off)