Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Warning about Hein Gericke online  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Topcat

• Tiger Pro
Warning about Hein Gericke online
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:49:19 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd post a little something warning people not to use hein Gericke online shop at the moment.

I placed an order a while ago, had the payment taken and the confirmation email saying delivery in 3 days.

Item didnt arrive so sent an email asking where the item was and have yet to receive a response. After another week or so i got annoyed and phoned the number they list which is has either a message saying call back another time or a message saying mail box unavailable and then the phone goes dead. 

Speaking to the store they've added notes to the system to ask that people get in contact with me but this seems to be not working either and I can't seem to get a refund. Yet it seems they still have time to spam me with offer emails asking me to buy more stuff  :023:

My next step is to write to the head office and then contact my bank to see if i can get the money back but pain in the *@!$ really so wanted to make sure no one else gets the same problems. (this isn't just me it seems after a googling)

TC

Offline SeanD_Colorado

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: T800XC ABS White
Re: Warning about Hein Gericke online
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:06:18 AM »
Have you tried going through your credit card company or bank, letting them know you have not received your item and your inquires have gone unanswered? They should be willing to work with you to reverse the charges.  Then you might find Hein Gericke more responsive, if they are not, at least you have your money back.

Offline BigMike

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:22:03 AM »
Hein Gericke (UK) Ltd

The Tower

Fourth Avenue

Hornbeam Park

Harrogate HG2 8QT

t :  +44 1423 878 605

f :  +44 1423 873 090

Offline paul_o

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Roadie
Warning about Hein Gericke online
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:51:32 AM »
Bit odd - HG have always been a good reputable outfit

Hope it's not another George white about to happen! Good luck with the credit card company. If a visa debit, you can still go to your bank TC - I did this with a remap box for the car that was faulty
-------------------------
11 Tiger 800 Road (gone)
13 Tiger 1050 sport?.........
06 Beta 450RR

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
Your credit card cannot refund you for a purchase contract that you made voluntarily unless they fail to supply within a reasonable time (read at least 28 days from order acceptance), or the supplied goods are faulty and even then you have to give them the opportunity to replace them.

Sorry, I know it's not good, but that's what I've been told by several credit card companies in the past, if you can't get any joy from HG direct then contact your local Trading Standards Office for advice  :028:
2011 white Tiger 800 roadie, with a naff tiger decal on the tank so you know it's me!

Offline SeanD_Colorado

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 02:05:53 PM »
In the USA, you are protected by the FTC's Mail or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule. Which requires stores to ship telephone, mail, fax or internet orders within 30 days, but does go on to say if a merchant promises an earlier shipment date, it must meet that deadline.  Otherwise they must seek your consent for the delay or issue a refund.  In this case they promised delivery within 3 days and failed to meet the claim, or seek consent for the delay.  But I don't know how other parts of the world deal with such claims.

Edit: Looking up the rule for the UK on Directgov, it seems to basically state the same thing...

The laws says that:
you must be given clear information about the goods or services before you buy
you must get written confirmation of this information after you have made your purchase
there is usually a cooling-off period where you can cancel your order for any reason
you can get a refund if items arent delivered on the agreed delivery date

If youve paid using Visa, Mastercard or Maestro, you may be able to complain to their chargeback scheme. This will cover you if theres a problem with the goods or the seller has stopped trading. You will need to contact the card company to make a claim

So, even if in the UK, I would imagine he is entitled to a refund if the items were not delivered by the agreed delivery date?  Of course, I imagine it depends on your credit card as to how willing they are to work with you on this, but I have always found American Express, to be very helpful in resolving issues.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:27:25 PM by SeanD_Colorado »

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 02:32:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by SeanD_Colorado [+]
In the USA, you are protected by the FTC's Mail or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule. Which requires stores to ship telephone, mail, fax or internet orders within 30 days, but does go on to say if a merchant promises an earlier shipment date, it must meet that deadline.  Otherwise they must seek your consent for the delay or issue a refund.  In this case they promised delivery within 3 days and failed to meet the claim, or seek consent for the delay.  But I don't know how other parts of the world deal with such claims.

Edit: Looking up the rule for the UK on Directgov, it seems to basically state the same thing...

The laws says that:
you must be given clear information about the goods or services before you buy
you must get written confirmation of this information after you have made your purchase
there is usually a cooling-off period where you can cancel your order for any reason
you can get a refund if items arent delivered on the agreed delivery date

So, even if in the UK, I would imagine he is entitled to a refund if the items were not delivered by the agreed delivery date?

in EU/UK law there's various provisions
Im not certain there is a term demanding delivery by a certain date and or a supplier pushing back and agreed delivery date, but Ive no doubt there is provision for you as a customer to demand they supply by a certain date and right to cancle (assumign your demand was in writing and reasnable'
there is legislation concerning payment by credit (not debit) cards ie Visa/Access/Mastercard not Visa debit/switch/maestro which makes the purchase covered by Consumer Credit Act and makes the issuing bank jointly liable for defective goods or refunds.
there's the catch all sales of goods act referring to goods must be of 'merchantable quality' amongst other terms
there's the distance selling legislation grantign a consumer the rigth to send any goods bought by remote (ie not face to face) for a ull refunmd providng its within a 'reasonable' timeframe.

like all legislation there's  concepts of reasonable expectation, something which seems to be going out of the window as customers /consumers egged on by scumbags, sorry lawyers, sue any and everyone for 'compo'. to whoit the daft instruction on hot drinks "caution drink may be hot" 
:138: whoulda thunk that.

Im not to certain what the position of HG is, considering that the original is a German or Austrian concern and the UK arm is a franchise or licence set up. its quite possible they could be flaky under the current trading conditions. on the few occasions I've been into one of their outlets they always seem fairly quiet, some with masses of expensive stock and soemtimes and air of desperation selling cheaper items.

Offline BigMike

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »
You're covered if you pay by debit card IF your account is overdrawn at the time of purchase ie you have used credit to make the purchase.

Distance selling regs cover UK only though, so it depends where the order was placed and with whom ie the uk arm or the german site. if the former, you should be covered if you paid by credit card (or debit overdrawn).  If neither of those, you'll need some good luck.

Offline SeanD_Colorado

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 05:35:30 PM »
My only similar experience, here in the USA, was with a company that sold computer peripherals. I had ordered an item online, as it was far cheaper than the local stores. I like to support small local businesses when I can, but the "local" stores where CompUSA and Best Buy, so hardly local, and beside the point.

I don't recall the exact wording, but to paraphrase, the item was being listed as in stock and would ship with 3-5 business days. I figured that was fine, since I wasn't traveling until toward the end of the following week, I actually had about 8 days. I selected overnight shipping, so that it would only add 1 day to the 3-5.

At the end of 7 days, I still had not recieved any confirmation that it shipped, so I called the company. They started giving me the line about it being back ordered, and that the 3-5 days only applies to items they have in stock. I pointed out that the website said it was in stock, and that I wouldn't have ordered it otherwise. They started going on about how the sight is only updated at the end of each day, and that the information isn't always up to date. They were not willing to refund the purchase, but they were willing to waive shipping charges when the item was back in stock. Worthless to me, as I needed the item prior to the trip.

Long story short, I called American Express, explained the situation to them, and they credited back the purchase price.  But again, I understand that things vary from country to country and credit card company to credit card company. So, what they are able to do, or willing to do even if able, may differ greatly.

Offline mike2294

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 06:18:42 PM »
Yeah, I've not had my stuff either, no email replies or phone answering. at least i didn't spend alot with them. :232: