Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clanking Noise off rd  (Read 3208 times)

Offline SmokenFly

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
Clanking Noise off rd
« on: April 08, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »
Hi Peeps

I do alot of offroad and i have always had this clanking noise, so a couple of day ago tied my centre stand down and thought it would dissapear alas it didnt. But i think i found the problem.

Take a look at the Youtube clip i loaded and let me know your thoughts please.

Thanks

Tiger 800 XC Chain noise
I Ride for the freedom it gives me

Offline andyrut

• Tiger Jedi
  • always willing to the extra mile
  • Bike: Roadie
Re: Clanking Noise off rd
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:33:49 PM »
Thats what I have been getting on normal roads and put it down to loose chain and have adjusted mine - going to test it in an hour so will report back if fixed.

Andy
Honda Varedero
Kawasaki Versys
Tiger 800 ABS

Offline SmokenFly

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »
WOuld be great to know if you sorted it, glad its just just me

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 02:52:23 PM »
Hard to tell due to the very wide angle lens, the chain looks too loose for a roadie, but on an XC it needs to be slacker to cope with the longer travel suspension.

In practice you wouldn't be running off road at a constant speed and your wheel would be moving around a lot more so I'm not sure what value the video is, most chains on all sorts of drives will exhibit the occaisional whip like the one time in your video, normally worse if there's too much slack.

Sorry but you need to fix a cheap bullet cam to a footrest maybe and then take it across a field to see if this is a problem or not and even then ask yourself why there's a rubbing strip under the swingarm if the chain wasn't going to contact it every now and again.

Other thinks to look at are the rear mudgaurd and number plate, mine clank when I jump off speed humps as does the hugger, but presumably you don't have one of these fitted? having said that chain slap is quite a distinctive noise and not normally mistaken for a mechanical clunk  :084:
2011 white Tiger 800 roadie, with a naff tiger decal on the tank so you know it's me!

Offline SmokenFly

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 03:04:21 PM »
mmm, some things to think about. Thanks Dilbert

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 03:12:53 PM »
If you're getting it regularly on a flat even road (like Andy suggests), then most likely a loose (stretched) section of chain, depending how well you've strapped up the centre stand, it can still clank, if the ends come into contact with the swingarm now and again, sorry, but you nee to check everything before you can isolate the actual cause  :028:
2011 white Tiger 800 roadie, with a naff tiger decal on the tank so you know it's me!

Offline Marsh Tiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Clanking Noise off rd
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
I get a clank off road. I wondered if it wasn't chain slap. Or maybe the side stand. (I don't have a center stand BTW.)

Offline SmokenFly

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 04:08:14 PM »
I dont get the noise on the straight roads even on dirt, only on the rough stuff.

Center stand is strapped down tight as hell, sometimes i think it is the side stand, but cant be sure. I suppose the bullet cam is one way to check what going on.

When listening to the chain like that it does sound very familiar to the noise i here on the corrugated dirt roads, if it is the chain is their anything one can do, I would say tighten it, but doing as much offroad riding as i do that might just limit the life of the chain and sprockets.

I tell you the bike handles like a deamon and o love it to bits especially now that i have the Heidenau k60 scouts on, the only draw back i now have is that clunking noise......irritates the crap outa me

Offline BigMike

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 04:09:49 PM »
I get it too. I thought it was the centre stand, then the side stand, then the chain. I'm still not sure. It's a clang though, it's not a slap.

Offline SmokenFly

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by BigMike [+]
I get it too. I thought it was the centre stand, then the side stand, then the chain. I'm still not sure. It's a clang though, it's not a slap.

Exactly what i get  :173: