Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ride like a police biker  (Read 4295 times)

Offline Greg

• Tiger Jedi
  • Tiger 800 No2.. Scrambler.. Mahoosive Yamaha
  • Bike: Tiger 800...
Re: ride like a police biker
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 09:48:17 AM »
Being smooth and good observational skills are the key to efficient riding... Notice I used the word efficient not quick!

Good thread  ..  :028:

Gears to go ... Brakes to slow...   Depends on the bike ridden as well, a big V Twin with loads of engine braking would require less brakes than a 4 cylinder machine.. However be wary of the brake gear overlap...

You should get rid of all your speed using brakes and or engine braking before selecting the correct gear for the given road speed, rather than using your gears to slow... But as part of the information stage of the system (Give as well as receive Information) You can "Show" a brake light to road users following you to indicate your slowing down.

Greg
It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.
Hugh Laurie

Offline billcmartin

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 08:37:38 AM »
I have just enrolled on the Institute of Advanced Motorists' 'Skill For Life' course to prepare me for the advanced riders' test. This post and the responses in this thread are all fascinating to me. Thanks for sharing, everyone.
Bill C Martin
IAM Advanced Rider
Member: Rotherham Advanced Motorcyclists

Offline Milemuncher

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 R
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 10:47:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by billcmartin [+]
I have just enrolled on the Institute of Advanced Motorists' 'Skill For Life' course to prepare me for the advanced riders' test. This post and the responses in this thread are all fascinating to me. Thanks for sharing, everyone.

+1. I had not seen this thread before. Very interesting and helpful discussion by all, thanks for 'reviving' it, Bill.
... never say never ...

Offline billcmartin

• Tiger Member
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 06:15:44 PM »
I'm finding it really fascinating, Milemuncher! I've also been watching some other great YouTube videos on a range of advanced riding subjects today. This edit from an actual RoSPA Advanced Test was particularly useful. What do you think? http://youtu.be/9dW9pItTFeY
Bill C Martin
IAM Advanced Rider

Offline Whiplash

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Black 800 XC
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 06:36:47 PM »
If anyone fancies a quick read, all Police riding is taken from a book called "Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook (2013)" it's a interesting read with some very relevant points. Worth booking one out from the library. You'll notice pretty much all aspects of this ride are covered in there and the reasons for it.

Offline Milemuncher

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 R
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 08:30:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by billcmartin [+]
I'm finding it really fascinating, Milemuncher! I've also been watching some other great YouTube videos on a range of advanced riding subjects today. This edit from an actual RoSPA Advanced Test was particularly useful. What do you think? http://youtu.be/9dW9pItTFeY

Excellent, Bill, thanks. Something odd about the link but found it under Rospa advanced test.

Try also these 48 under the Around the Corner series by Scottish Police.  Very helpful I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KNtuz1zrbQ
... never say never ...

Offline billcmartin

• Tiger Member
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2014, 07:50:54 AM »
Milemuncher, the Scottish police videos, and especially the commentary that goes with each one, are very helpful. Thanks for sharing them.  :028:
Bill C Martin
IAM Advanced Rider

Offline Jamstealer

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2014, 07:55:15 AM »
Nigel, who goes under the name of "Advancedbiker" on Youtube does some good vids, too.   I know a couple of bods who have had a day with him and he's a great instructor, too.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.

Offline billcmartin

• Tiger Member
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 09:26:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jamstealer [+]
Nigel, who goes under the name of "Advancedbiker" on Youtube does some good vids, too.   I know a couple of bods who have had a day with him and he's a great instructor, too.
Jamstealer, I've watched some of Advancedbiker's YouTube content and have learnt a lot from it, so much so that I've now subscribed to his feeds on YouTube. Very worthwhile for anyone wanting to learn more about advanced riding techniques.
Bill C Martin
IAM Advanced Rider

Offline D8ona

• Tiger Jedi
  • I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Bike: 865 Scrambler
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 08:58:01 PM »
Yep would thoroughly recommend IAM advanced test / Skills for life program.... cos i just did it and passed the test last week... :046: they always find stuff to make you better and stuff to think about..
Just go do it... :028:
There's someone in my head but its not me..?
Ducati MTS 950 - Monster 1100 Evo - Zed900RS - Scrambler 900 - 1998 Daytona 900 - 1997 Ducati ST2

Recent Topics