Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How long does Tiger battery last?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: How long does Tiger battery last?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Measuring the voltage with a multimeter when the bike is parked and not running is basically a waste of effort. A dodgy battery can still display a decent voltage with no load and as soon as you put load on it (like starting the bike) the battery just collapses and won't work.
If you think for some reason that the battery is not charging sure use a multimeter to check it but don't bother doing that as a way of indicating battery status.

Ha, yes it can get far more complex than that if you want it to be, but that is a first line check if a good battery is needing a boost, or ready for the bin.

There's alluz one.  :192:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:34:17 PM by Paulhere »
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline prenticemarie

• Tiger Master
  • Hinckley Triples - Moto2 GP for 2019 !
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 12:44:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by xmcc99 [+]
... any idea what the life expectancy of the battery is ? ...
From day one, my 2002 Sprint ST 955i was hooked up to an Optimate .... In 2013 when I sold it for the Tiger the same battery was still going strong ... says a lot for Optimate, 11 years.
Also, Tiger, when not in use, has been hooked up to my Optimate since 2013, no problems so far !  :031:
My My, How Time Flies ... From BSA DBD34 Gold Star To Tiger 800 Road ... 1959 - 2018 !

Offline kingofZroad

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800xc
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 05:24:40 PM »
My 2012 Tiger 800xc is still on its original battery...  I have actually started looking into a replacement for next summer, just to be safe. 

I need to decide if I want to go lead acid or try lithium ion...

Offline T-Rever

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 09:52:14 PM »
My 2012 Roadie is still on the original battery, I do not 'lay up the bike' for winter...

Offline Nelizzz

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Snot green
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 09:07:37 AM »
 Just ordered a Motobatt replacement for my original Yuasa which was in my Tiger since new, 2011.

Offline ronknee

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2018, 08:08:58 PM »
 June 2011 roadie, original battery still good, riden allyear, never been trickle charged, must be lucky!

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2018, 10:49:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by ronknee [+]
June 2011 roadie, original battery still good, riden allyear, never been trickle charged, must be lucky!
You may well be lucky. Consumer Reports published in the US has tried to rate Auto batteries for their reliability and life expectancy. Their study involving hundreds of batteries bought from a variety of sources were subjected to the same controlled testing. One thing that turned up with even the popular name brand batteries was significant variation in quality within a brand and model. The impression I was left with was that for the individual consumer, it is a gamble. You roll the dice.

That said, I have had good luck with the Yuasa battery in my Triumph.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »
Quite a few it would seem still riding with 2011 batteries.  A vintage year perhaps?  :002:
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,XCX, CB1300,
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 08:08:16 PM »
Make sure you do a load test, not just a voltage reading.....on another bike last week, battery failed, no starter current, 12.6 v though and lights worked.
Cut open the battery case. Turned out the leaded solder joint inside from the plates to the terminal post was defective at manufacture and slowly breaking apart and increasing resistance as it degraded with vibration.
Otherwise, measuring directly to the plate after finding the fault, the 4 yr old battery was fine.

Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline kbar800

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2012 800 Road
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2018, 12:42:30 PM »

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-batteries/yuasa-ytx16-bs-12v-maintenance-free-vrla-battery

Now on the Winter list of to do's  -    Prevention is better than cure  ( stuck with a dying battery on remote Hebridian Island in the spring  )  :064:
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Recent Topics