Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starter Motor  (Read 19915 times)

Offline Manxytiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Starter Motor
« on: April 15, 2014, 11:27:49 AM »
I was having intermittent starting problems with my 2012 Tiger 800 last week. Battery checked out ok, turns out the starter motor is knackered. Fortunately it's still under warranty, but it seems awfully young for this to happen. Has anyone else experienced a failed starter motor?

Offline TampaJim

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800,
Re: Starter Motor
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 04:04:49 PM »
The starter motor on my original 2011 T800 went out at 38,000 miles. It was out of warranty but Triumph replaced it anyway except for the labor.

It worked fine when cold but not when the bike was hot.
Jim

Offline bob4026

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: White 800R ABS
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:27:23 AM »
These things happen mate...

Not necessarily a Triumph issue, as they are made elsewhere and are sourced.

I'm sure Triumph will sort you out. Well, I'd hope they would. Their after sales is quite good overall. One or two less than helpful dealers, but find a good one and I'm sure you will be fine. Not sure what ur dealer options are on the Island?

ATB

Bob
SV650, 900SS, GSXR600, SPRINT RS, SPEED FOUR, DAYTONA T595, DAYTONA 600, DAYTONA 955i, SPRINT ST1050, MTS1000S, TIGER 1050, SPEED TRIPLE 1050, MTS1100S, TIGER 800R ABS

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 05:36:28 PM »
It could be, too -- especially if the history of the bike -- since new -- is unknown? that somewhere along the line someone operated the starter motor in excess and overheated it.
I've witnessed it when, for some reason, a bike (any bike) didn't start. Non-mechanical types sometimes think more cranking will make it go.
Back in the good old days, if an engine didn't start? -- the next thing to fail was the kick-starter...  :018:
I've ridden all-around the United States and parts of Arkansas.

Offline Jamstealer

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]

Back in the good old days, if an engine didn't start? -- the next thing to fail was the kick-starter...  :018:

Well in the good old days starter motors were unheard of! 

So it was the kicker:   and then bump starting:   

In fact one of my first bikes had a knackered kickstart and I could not repair it (the whole housing was knackered,) so it was bump starting every time.     :005:

Must admit, I am old enough to not like the idea that my bike does doesn't have a kick start as a back up.    :012:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:03:42 AM by Jamstealer »
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.

Offline Warod

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2013 800R ABS
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 07:16:58 PM »
In the "Good Ole Days" I used to have a really slutty girlfriend who could Suck Start my Harley Shovel-head......aaaaahhhhh !

Offline Manxytiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 08:35:45 AM »
I've owned the bike since new. Jason Griffiths is my local dealer and he's fantastic. Bike is being repaired under warranty as we speak.

Meanwhile he has loaned me a Bonneville. Which is erm different!

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Manxytiger [+]
I've owned the bike since new.
Okay (thanks), we can cross-out abuse / improper use.
It would be interesting to know just what went wrong with the starter motor -- bad coils / brushes / ? (electrical or mechanical?)?  :187:
I've ridden all-around the United States and parts of Arkansas.

Offline Manxytiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 12:53:11 PM »
Update. I had a call to say my bike was fixed...new starter motor fitted. Apparently it is a known problem, not just with the Tiger model. So off I went this morning to pick it up...got it home and lo and behold.......exhibits same symptoms. So I have just taken it back to the dealer who is a bit puzzled. I wouldn't be especially bothered at this point, except that hubby and I are supposed to be taking the bikes to France next Tuesday. I have continental breakdown and recovery service, but we are two ferry trips away from home (live on Isle of Man) and would rather not be in the position of having to go home on a truck.
I have spoken to my insurance company and my policy doesn't cover me for riding someone else's bike in France and I can only add a bike to the policy if I own it, so that means I can't borrow a friend's bike.

Offline Manxytiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 07:09:42 AM »
Just to update.....Jason Griffiths fitted another new starter motor, stolen from a bike he had in the showroom, as there wasn't time to get one from the uk before my French trip. The guys at the dealership couldn't have been more helpful and the bike has just done 1400 miles with no problems, so let's hope that's that.

I can report that Triumph have been experiencing problems with starter motors, so be aware.

Recent Topics