Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starter Motor  (Read 24203 times)

Offline bigmankz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800xc
Re: Starter Motor
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2017, 09:20:58 AM »
Just a small update. The starter rotor machined off ok. The tech guy said it will be ok for another 30-40k km if the brush material is the same. If its better then it may work a bit longer. It was great that the someone took an effort and found that website in Germany who sells Denso small parts. :)   

Offline charrito

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2018, 12:19:44 AM »
Hey everyone, adding to the oldest thread with the biggest problem.  For those of us in the US, I found the parts locally at finditparts.com.  Just use the same numbers that are on the German site.  Hope this helps, at least a little cheaper with the shipping.  The only thing is the brushes come in packs of 10 pieces, so I'll have a few left over.

2011 Tiger 800
2007 Suzuki M50 (Gone)

Offline BarryW

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2016 800XC
« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2018, 02:10:33 PM »
Thanks Charrito, I'm a newb to the board and also from TX. My 2016 XC with only 2,300 miles on it has already started exhibiting intermittent hot-start failures. Took it to the dealer recently and they said they couldn't duplicate the failure and suspected the battery was just low so they topped it off. I rode it home, stalled it as I pulled into my garage, and it did it again! I've not been able to duplicate it on demand and have probably tried 20 times since then without a failure to start. Very frustrating to deal with intermittent issues, but glad to have found so many good resources for solving the issue. Hope Triumph has caught wind of this and given Denso hell, it really taints the brand IMO. :023:

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XC,CB1300,Lverda
« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2018, 08:52:53 PM »
If yours is a 2016 XC and 2300 miles it couldn't be the starter motor problem we have encountered on the earlier models (2011/2012).
Most likely it could have been a low battery, But also, occasionally after a stall, my XC will fail to turn over on the next start. A few tries and it's back again. I suspect it has something to do with the resudial compression left after an abrupt stop. A characteristic of the XC. Not to worry.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2018, 10:25:39 PM »
Also worth checking your battery connections are nice and tight.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline BarryW

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2018, 11:59:53 PM »
Although the dealer claims to have load tested the battery, topped off the charge and heat cycled the bike, I think cleaning connectors, including at the starter is the next step. It has tripped a warning code both times it has occurred which the dealer said was a low (<5V) voltage threshold measured at some location. Oddly, when it's behaving badly the headlight doesn't dim when the starter button is pressed and the starter is either laboring or has given up altogether.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XC,CB1300,Lverda
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2018, 01:04:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by BarryW [+]
Oddly, when it's behaving badly the headlight doesn't dim when the starter button is pressed and the starter is either laboring or has given up altogether.

Hey BarryW, the Tiger is wired so that the headlight is switched off by relay when the starter is engaged. If this is not the case, as it seems from your last post, then you need to check that out. The headlight and starter motor should not be on together--one or the other.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline BarryW

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2018, 02:40:05 AM »
chuckxc,
 I just checked and the light I had remembered is not actually a headlight but rather the small bulb between the two headlights called a position light bulb in the manual. The two headlights do indeed stay off during cranking as you've stated. What I discovered tonight though is the position bulb does dim when the starter is working properly. The behaviors I've observed could be caused by the pushbutton switch, but the intermittent nature of the problem make it difficult to pinpoint.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2018, 06:37:54 AM »
Have a look at the starter solenoid under the battery. I've heard of that going intermittent before failing
Although it's usually a symptom of dampness getting in and staying in, not something I would naturally associate with Texas (but what do I know of Texas?)
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Recent Topics