Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starter Motor  (Read 41003 times)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: Starter Motor
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2019, 05:39:24 PM »
I believe there's a post on this (somewhere on the forum -- but I can't find it) -- where the poster said he replaced his failed starter motor with Rick's unit and the only size difference issue was a bigger terminal for fitting the battery lead (needed a bigger hole in the end of the battery lead).
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Telstar

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2019, 05:50:05 PM »
Hi AvgBear it was me that wrote the post regarding the Ricks starter motor it is a direct replacement you just need to drill out the eyelet on the cable that attaches to the starter motor with a 1/4 inch drill as the connecting bolt is a little thicker on the Ricks starter had mine fitted for 5 months now has been perfect no issues at all and less than half the cost of a denso /triumph starter.
My Bikes- Suzuki AP 50 YAMAHA RD 250 Honda XL600 Honda CB 400 Four Suzuki GT 250 Suzuki GSF 650 Harley Davidson Sportster 883

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2019, 05:52:25 PM »
Thanks  :028:
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2019, 12:51:32 PM »
Looks like I have a hot starting issue  :023:

Just back form a day out to France and on two occasions I stopped the bike and immediately went to fire it back up, first time nothing when I hit the button second time it only just turned over, so guessing it's the same problems as has been mentioned here - 2012 roadie with 31,00 miles.

The bike seems to start no problem if it's been left a minute or two and turns over as expected.

Is the problem likely to get any worse  :261:

Doesn't help if you stall it at a set of lights and need to start it quickly, but I don't want to replace it if it's going to fire up when starting normally  :187:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 12:53:59 PM by sezian »

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2019, 05:01:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by sezian [+]
...on two occasions I stopped the bike and immediately went to fire it back up, first time nothing when I hit the button second time it only just turned over
The bike seems to start no problem if it's been left a minute or two and turns over as expected.
Doesn't help if you stall it at a set of lights and need to start it quickly
Might be two separate issues?
One, the ECM may need to check through its start-up checklist and get an electronic 'handshake' from all sensors after a (inconvenient) shut-down? Immediately pressing the start button may, then, get no result.
Two, "only just turned over" may indicate a starter motor issue -- or, a low voltage issue.
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline gallen13

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: tiger 800
Re: Starter Motor....not working when hot fix
« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »
2013 triumph Tiger Road, I had the "won't turn over the engine when hot...works when cooled" starter motor problem. New brushes did not work.
Solution: armature rebuilt by Essex auto electrics (something like that), in fact they sent it away for rebuild. Cost, half the price of a new one.
Also did the "upgrade of the cables to the starter motor" mod which I found on this site somewhere. Essentially thicker cables...this seems to make a big difference...spinning the starter motor faster...I'm assuming that is better. Anyways been working fine since it was done...some 5k miles ago.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 05:45:35 PM by gallen13 »

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2019, 12:00:57 AM »
Many on this forum have reported failed Triumph/Denso starter motors after 40k km. This one is on a 2012 800XC.
Typically, the motor won't turn over when hot,  and when opened, the brushes are completely worn and the unit is trashed with carbon dust.
After getting ripped off by Triumph to replace the first motor (Denso -5540), now the SECOND motor (Denso -5542) has failed with exactly the same characteristics and use!
Here are pics of the worst starter motor design in motorcycle history. Triumph and Denso should be ashamed of this. And to add insult to injury they want $1100AUD for another inferior replacement motor. Take a hike Triumph.
Any lawyers on the forum want to start a class action ?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 12:06:19 AM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2019, 05:23:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
Any lawyers on the forum want to start a class action ?

Ring ACCC. That second starter is only about 2 years old isn't it.
A mate of mine has a 5 years old 80,000 km Commodore and the main ECU just sh*t itself ($1000.00 plus labour). GM paid for the complete replacement parts and labour. Why can't Triumph do something similar?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 05:26:08 AM by K1W1 »

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2019, 06:38:18 AM »
Wow, that is one dirty starter motor :012:

Probably a silly question,  but is that reddish powder desert sand?

Safe Riding
Dave
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,tiger800 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2019, 09:05:49 AM »
No red dirt there, the unit is sealed to external dirt.
That powder is all carbon---the ground-up  remains of the shite brushes.
So what happens is this. There is a very tight tolerance between the spinning  armature and the surrounding magnets on the case.
 As the motor heats and expands that spacing decreases. Add in all the waste carbon powder from the brushes and the motor jams and won't turn.
I have a Honda CB1300 with over 140k km on the clock and the starter motor is spotless inside and the brushes show only a tiny amount of wear.
Good motors can be made. Just not by Triumph/Denso!

Laterally unstable unless moving.

Recent Topics