Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starter Motor  (Read 59809 times)

Offline tri-vi-la

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger800xc
Re: Starter Motor
« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2020, 05:50:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Telstar [+]
Hi tri-vi-la I have family that live in Florida so had it shipped there I went over for a holiday and just brought it back in my luggage.

Brilllll.... nice one.
Facebook Ride Live Explore

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by kokkios [+]
Looking for a starter motor for my bike a 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XRT
the answer
I am sorry we do not offer a starter motor for this application.
Here's what folks are using from Rick's:
https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/New-Triumph-Starter-Motor-61_704
Fits T800 up to 2014 (eng.# 612713 - on) -- I'm unaware of any physical difference after 2014.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline tri-vi-la

• Tiger Member
« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2020, 05:53:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by kokkios [+]
Looking for a starter motor for my bike a 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XRT
Could you please quote me a price and if you can ship to Cyprus (Europe) and how much would it cost.

and the answer

Good morning,
I am sorry we do not offer a starter motor for this application.
Thank you,
Rick's Motorsport Electrics

Okay, they have replied to my email and want to know what year the bike is. So am stil waiting to hear if they have one. I also asked them some details like where it is made etc etc.

Take care Vince

Offline tri-vi-la

• Tiger Member
« Reply #223 on: March 02, 2020, 05:55:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Here's what folks are using from Rick's:
https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/New-Triumph-Starter-Motor-61_704
Fits T800 up to 2014 (eng.# 612713 - on) -- I'm unaware of any physical difference after 2014.

Strange maybe they don't realize that....  :084:

Offline tri-vi-la

• Tiger Member
« Reply #224 on: March 02, 2020, 10:11:20 PM »
I had sent an e-mail to Rick's asking them for more info on their starter motor. They wanted to know what year my bike is. It is a 2014 XC this is the reply that I got from them.

"Great thanks.

Our 61-704 is a new Rick's motorsport Electrics starter motor. We get these from our business supplier in Taiwan.

Rick's design is different from OE; The (+) positive post design for this starter is different than the OEM. The original starter uses a 5 mm threaded flag style post and bolt, Rick's uses a 6 mm stud and nut which may make it necessary to open up the terminal at the end of the starter cable with a 1/4 drill bit. Our starter is a Mitsuba style (OE was Nippon Denso) so our starter is slightly more powerful than the stock.

We do not take piece back for return, we do offer a one year part replacement warranty."

The price seems to be okay, compared to the OEM.  Now I will have to work out the best thing to do.... recondition my own or buy the Rick's. Decisions decisions...  :187: :187:  :169: :031:

Thanks everyone for the replies and input. Ride safe and have fun..... Vince

Offline Telstar

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
Re: Ricks Starter Motor Update
« Reply #225 on: August 23, 2020, 02:32:50 PM »
Hi all just an update for the Ricks starter motor that I had fitted 18 months ago sadly it has failed,it suffered the usual fate of not starting when hot but with total failure in Less than a week of it playing up just for my own amusement I phoned my local triumph dealer for a price to replace with a genuine triumph starter, I was informed by them it probably wasnt the starter as they never go and that they have only ever changed 1 in 15 years.but they gave me a quote to replace  apparently its a new part number (uprated) I was told, the price quoted would be around 900 fitted.!!!!!!!!!!
My Bikes- Suzuki AP 50 YAMAHA RD 250 Honda XL600 Honda CB 400 Four Suzuki GT 250 Suzuki GSF 650 Harley Davidson Sportster 883

Offline tri-vi-la

• Tiger Member
« Reply #226 on: August 23, 2020, 02:57:15 PM »
Wooow that's bad news. Thanks for the update, brilliant.

I have put a second hand one in and ordered and received spare parts from Germany. My old starter was a mess, full of carbon deposit and the brushes were really worn. I am in the process of rebuilding it. I will then put it back into the bike and keep the secondhand one as a spare. The secondhand one cost 100 euro. I bought it via my Triumph dealer.

I am rebuilding the bike after a two year run down the Americas and am going to Africa. But Covid happened so now I have time to get it all together.

Good luck Telstar hope you can solve your problem cheaper that the 900 quid...

Many thanks and stay safe, stay sane  :300: :031: :031: 

Offline Telstar

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #227 on: August 23, 2020, 03:50:55 PM »
Hi tri-vi-la
I have sent my original triumph starter to a company to do a complete refurbishment they have refurbished triumph starters before and told me they dont have enough copper windings and are not up to the job so theres has more copper apparently we shall see hopefully it will last longer than the Ricks starter which only managed 5k miles.
My Bikes- Suzuki AP 50 YAMAHA RD 250 Honda XL600 Honda CB 400 Four Suzuki GT 250 Suzuki GSF 650 Harley Davidson Sportster 883

Offline tri-vi-la

• Tiger Member
« Reply #228 on: August 23, 2020, 05:05:50 PM »
Nice one Telstar

That was my first choice, but unfortunately there are no companies left here that do that type of work. We live in a throwaway society. I was gonna take it to Hungary to get it done there but Covid stopped that.

The windings in my one looked to be okay so am just gonna replace the brush assembly completely and clean it all up and hope that it works :084: :084:

Take care of yourself and heres hoping that it works out okay now.... stay safe stay sane....  :008:   :031:   Vince

Recent Topics

winded-staunch