Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear Position Sensor Replacement - SOLVED  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Romain

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xc Bl
Re: Gear Position Sensor Replacement - SOLVED
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 10:30:21 PM »
  :493: Thanks a lot... Now I think I'll have it done by my dealer... I don't want to mess it up...
Cheers

Offline IronJackWhitton

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2011 800XC
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 05:07:58 AM »
Hey Romain,

It's actually very straightforward. If you use Muddysump's videos to talk you through tearing off the tank down to the airbox, the rest is a piece of cake. The connectors only really go one way so you can figure it out pretty easily. Use my drawings and compare them to the bike when you have it in front of you and you should be good to go!

Good luck and save that $200 bucks for gas money!

Cheers
Craig

Offline Tigerrrr

• Tiger Member
  • Roll on Summer!
  • Bike: Tiger xc800
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 10:10:25 AM »
Hi IronJack,  I suspect that I am having intertmittent issues with my gear position sensor and seeing that there has been a lot of info and detail posted here on this.
BUT, I cannot access any of the images (By any means) that have posted here.   Any chance you could repost them or mail them direct?

Appreciate it...........

Many Thanks

Andy
Each morning heralds the dawn of a new error!

Offline Ollieisla1

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2013 tiger 800
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 12:34:37 PM »
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH FOR THIS.

Offline travisn000

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2013 800XC
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 08:46:44 PM »
 :493:

Thanks for posting this.. I bought a new to me 2013 800xc ABS with about 12k miles about 6-8 months ago (now at ~16k mi), and have been noticing inconsistencies in the display regarding the gears.. N, 2nd, and 3rd are misread / displayed incorrectly on the LCD.  I haven't had check engine lights because of it, and it often seems to correct itself after a few moments, but it does lead to lots of fiddling with the shifter to get it to start at times.  I have the bike tore down for a clean of the stepper motor (as I recently experienced that issue as well), and install of a uni air pre-filter.  ..it looks like I should be checking to see if I need the upgraded sensor and wiring while I have it apart!

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,CB1300,Lverda
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 12:45:03 AM »

Looking at the schematic it seems the older model Gear Position Sensors got their 5V supply directly from the ECU, thus the single 3-wire end-to-end connector. But your newer cable is wired to so that it can access  the 5V supply available on the Throttle Position Sensor. That's the extra 4th wire. I'm guessing that sometime during the development the cable looms were changed between models.

Anyway, good find Craig. Thanks

Laterally unstable unless moving.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch