Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clunking noise from rear of bike  (Read 1210 times)

Offline 1157jonboy

• Tiger Member
  • They tell me the throttle works both ways.
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xc
Clunking noise from rear of bike
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:28:54 AM »
Hi, I have the 2011 800XC and am very pleased with it, apart from a clunking noise from the rear of the bike if I go over any large bumps or potholes etc. I thought it may be the chain hitting the roller, but now I dont think its that as its correctly adjusted, I have checked all the suspension bolts, wheel spindle, rear light etc etc and given everything a good hard shake but all seems ok. Any ideas....? :157:

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Clunking noise from rear of bike
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 09:32:13 AM »
Centre stand or maybe .......................

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,11388.0.html

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline GearHd6

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 98 T595
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »
The rubber/foam strip under the chain guide did the trick for me. I don't have a center stand and mine still made the noise prior to adding the strip.
2015 Tiger XCx
1998 Daytona T595

Offline Jamstealer

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 01:03:14 PM »
Almost certainly the chain;   My Roadie does it if I hit a large bump: and XC will certainly do it, after all the chain has some slack other wise it would break: 

No big deal: ignore it and just make sure the chain is kept adjusted:  If you really can't stand the noise, then you can do the thing with a bit of rubber strip:  I can't see the point, given everything else that is going on. 

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.

Offline RolandN

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2019 XRt
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 01:19:57 PM »
Do you have the Triumph top box?  I assume they are all like mine in that there is a lot of play (up and down).
2019 Tiger 800 XRt
Previous: Tiger 1050 Sport; Tiger 800ABS; Sprint 1050; Sprint 995; Speed Triple 1050; Speed Triple 995.... (and many more)

Offline theyeti

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:34:25 PM »
If you have a top box, then it could be the mounting plate especially if you don't have the top box on at the time, and check the tool kit is well seated and packed as well as that can make a right racket if it loose.
Look at yours, before laughing at mine.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch