Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TigerTool - A Diagnostic Project  (Read 31578 times)

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
Re: TigerTool - A Diagnostic Project
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 12:30:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by busterdan [+]
Well done mate.... sounds like you've made great progress :)
Thanks. Your old ECU has proved to be really useful. I left it hooked-up to a PC for over a week recently, while some software I'd written decrypted one of the (previously un-published) security keys for me. I had to leave it running 24/7 due to the number of possible combinations, but it got there in the end.

Now on the back of that I'm putting the finishing touches to the next release of TigerTool which adds support for the Explorer & the new 800XRx & XCx. It should also display the DTCs and allow you to reset them.

I still need to get my hands on a spare instrument panel to complete my virtual 800 for further testing...

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline busterdan

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2011 XC Orange
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 12:56:49 AM »
That's nothing less than brilliant and whilst on the one hand I did well on selling all the parts I am genuinely very pleased that a drowned Tiger has proved very helpful to so many.

On the clocks, try Silent Mobius (Carlos in Portugal).  He had a few bits off me after a front ender.  I'm not sure if his clocks were damaged, I think the housing may have been.  I'm sure if he can help he will, he'd also be interested in your ECU work as he seems to be an accomplished bike mechanic.

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: tiger 800Xr
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 09:02:54 AM »
Hi
I still waiting for my bluetooth thing to arrive to talk to my Torque tool but is your software better ?
Dave
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,2013 tiger800,2018 Tiger800Xr, CG125 and loads of C90`s  :)

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by grizzlybear [+]
Hi
I still waiting for my bluetooth thing to arrive to talk to my Torque tool but is your software better ?
Dave
Depends what you're looking for. I would say different, not better.

Best to read the TigerTool thread at the following link to find out what it is and why I created it....
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,13841.0.html

The next release looks likely to add throttle body balancing in addition to what's already been mentioned above. I wasn't planning on adding that, but after some recent re-reading of my old notes, and some changes to the user interface I've decided to try to add it.

I'm away for the rest of the week so the new release could be a couple of weeks away.

Be careful what version of Bluetooth interface you buy. Some of the newer devices that claim to be V2.1 don't work very well.

Offline MikeG12

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 12:43:29 AM »
eagerly awaiting the throttle valve balancing feature, you are the best!

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 05:18:31 PM »
Waking this up again....

My original TigerTool project was never intended to be a PC-based system but something that could be connected to the bike and used anywhere. Matters took a different course some time back and all of the software writing & testing was moved to the PC and so TigerTool V1 & then V2 were released, with the handheld version put onto the back-burner.

Recently I decided to resurrect this and I bought a cheap but well made handheld diagnostic unit, the Autophix OM123. There are several units in the Autophix family, but I was looking for something that I could simply use as a donor and the OM123 seemed to fit the bill. It has a usable LCD screen, enough buttons for most applications, is in a decent sized case and has OBDII and USB ports. There's no way the firmware on the internal PCB can be rewritten to suit ECU access on the Tigers (and other Triumph models) unless you have the original source code, so the plan was to take the unit apart, throw away the PCB and keep the other parts. The PCB would be replaced with one of my own design.

After a couple of very late nights tinkering this week, the TigerTool HandHeld version has taken a step towards reality. It took a while to figure out how to talk to the LCD and get the images on the screen, but I got there in the end and the following is a preview of what it looks like....(it's a real photo and not a superimposed screen image!)...

I used a board design from a recent project to talk to the LCD and display the image above, but it is proof of concept so now I have to go away and design the full PCB to go inside the donor housing. I know exactly what the design needs and have much of it already sketched out, but I need to sit down & spend some decent CAD time to complete the job.

The design has internal nonvolatile memory so the tool could be connected to the bike and left to record a number of sensor parameters. It also has a USB port for connection to a PC to download the recorded data or (hopefully) to allow firmware upgrades.

The handheld version will have all of the features of the PC version  but will also most likely add ABS bleeding and sensor reading functions. I've also realised that it could be made compatible with Dealertool but I'm not sure if I'll be adding that feature.

This all takes time, but now that I have the last pieces of my jigsaw in place I know it's 100% possible, so maybe watch this space....
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:57:34 PM by T800XC »

Offline gfleck

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: none
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 07:38:17 PM »
Very nice idea!

Will be perfect! A very useful tool to carry always with the Tiger under the seat.

You already have one sold!  :169:

You could use a raspberry pi board to make the firmware. I work with Linux embedded systems, if you need some help pm me.
San Pedro de Atacama, Chile and Machu Picchu, Peru - 2013 (http://gfleck.qsl.br/primospicchu)
Ruta 40, Argentina - 2014
Pantanal, Brazil - 2015
Italy, Rome to Siracusa - 2017

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 09:07:34 PM »
Would like to support this so I'll take one, as long as there arn't toooo many zeros involved.   :300:
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline uvp593

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 10:11:47 PM »
Mark me down as interested, too.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 10:55:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by gfleck [+]
You could use a raspberry pi board to make the firmware. I work with Linux embedded systems, if you need some help pm me.
Yeah the Rasp-Pi could be used, but it would need a daughterboard with at least the OBD interface components on there. The processor I have in mind is very powerful and I've used the same family for a few years so hardware & firmware are not an issue. The hardware design is bespoke so will be just a single PCB with the OBD interface stuff included. I'll be using genuine ELM327 OBD chips with the latest ELM firmware instead of cheap and flaky Chinese clones. Both hardware & firmware will be designed to suit the application without unnecessary overhead. The firmware will be an extension of what's already been written & used on the PC-based version of TigerTool as that's already well understood. The most laborious part is the menu structure and deciding what features I should include....

Recent Topics