Tiger 800 / 900 - Main Discussion Section > ECU Re-Mapping and Tuning

TigerTool - A Diagnostic Project

<< < (2/18) > >>

T800XC:
I've tested 2 different 'Dealertool compatible' interfaces recently so there may be a cheaper option if/when I finish testing some software!

T800XC:
Picking up this old topic rather than starting a new one....

Firstly, thanks to Busterdan for donating the ECU from his drowned 800XC for nothing more than the cost of postage. He also threw in the immobiliser which I'm hoping will come in handy later.

After checking the wiring on various schematics I put the ECU on my bench and wired the appropriate pins to a 12V supply and my trusty ELM/OBD interface. Then I held my breath while I turned the power supply on, and no smoke! In fact, it seems to work just perfectly so the Triumph sealing of the ECU obviously did its job while Busterdan's bike sat underwater for a week!

When I say "work perfectly", what I mean is I can talk to the ECU from my PC using TigerTool & Dealertool and I can read all of the usual data. It does have 18 fault codes stored which is to be expected as I've not connected any of the sensor inputs. I'll probably mock-up some inputs to have a play when I feel the urge, but for now I want to delve deeper into the CAN bus comms to see how the ECU talks to the immobiliser and the instrument panel. To do this I'll add a second OBD interface on the CAN bus to monitor just the CAN traffic.

What I need to do now is find a cheap instrument panel to connect to the the setup on my bench. The problem with these is their cost and too many are stolen & flogged on eBay. However, if anyone's got a damaged unit (e.g. from a crashed bike) going cheap just let me know. Failing that I might have to take the one off my 800 while it's garaged for a while. Hopefully I won't do it any harm!

T800XC:
I've still got some stuff to do to wire-up my "virtual 800" on my test bench so I decided to plug my OBD leads & laptop directly into my bike to read what's going on on the CAN bus and do a bit more tinkering this evening. A few interesting bits in there...

1/ I'm pretty sure I can see the commands that indicate the presence of the instrument assembly to the ECU. I need to disconnect the instruments and repeat the tests to confirm this. This command might be useful to know for anyone whose instruments get stolen or damaged as it should (in theory) be possible to still ride the bike if you can fake the instrument's ID on the CAN bus.

2/ I can see the command that tells the instruments to display the selected gear position and neutral light. There are also commands in there for the other instrument gauges (e.g. temperature & fuel level), but I need to confirm which is which.

3/ I can see the comms between the ECU & immobiliser when the ignition is switched on and the ignitions key's RF chip is read. At the end is a command that indicates whether the key was successfully read or not, and whether the immobilser light is displayed on the instruments. By wrapping the fob of my ignition key in foil I can block the reading and get the immobliser light to turn on.

More later....

Zaphod:
Poxy drink and drunk posts

Hijack sorry :-)

busterdan:
Originally Posted by T800XC Picking up this old topic rather than starting a new one....

Firstly, thanks to Busterdan for donating the ECU from his drowned 800XC for nothing more than the cost of postage. He also threw in the immobiliser which I'm hoping will come in handy later.

After checking the wiring on various schematics I put the ECU on my bench and wired the appropriate pins to a 12V supply and my trusty ELM/OBD interface. Then I held my breath while I turned the power supply on, and no smoke! In fact, it seems to work just perfectly so the Triumph sealing of the ECU obviously did its job while Busterdan's bike sat underwater for a week!

When I say "work perfectly", what I mean is I can talk to the ECU from my PC using TigerTool & Dealertool and I can read all of the usual data. It does have 18 fault codes stored which is to be expected as I've not connected any of the sensor inputs. I'll probably mock-up some inputs to have a play when I feel the urge, but for now I want to delve deeper into the CAN bus comms to see how the ECU talks to the immobiliser and the instrument panel. To do this I'll add a second OBD interface on the CAN bus to monitor just the CAN traffic.

What I need to do now is find a cheap instrument panel to connect to the the setup on my bench. The problem with these is their cost and too many are stolen & flogged on eBay. However, if anyone's got a damaged unit (e.g. from a crashed bike) going cheap just let me know. Failing that I might have to take the one off my 800 while it's garaged for a while. Hopefully I won't do it any harm!

Well done mate.... sounds like you've made great progress :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version