Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: clutch plates change  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Adey Bee

• Tiger Master
  • Must change that Avatar, new one is white
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
clutch plates change
« on: November 19, 2014, 01:25:07 PM »
Anyone thinking of changing your clutch plates, take a look at this vid first, quite informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB2k5mokj_o
Bandit 1250, Tiger 800 XC, Tiger 800 XCA, Tiger 800XRT

Offline CrashMad

• Tiger Member
  • Fixing Bikes, Riding Bikes, Fixing them again
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Re: clutch plates change
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 07:48:50 PM »
Sorry, but the only information I gained from watching that video, is that I wouldn't let that guy anywhere near my bike.

This method might get you out of a fix, but is not best practise. It always amazes me that people post up videos like this on YouTube, which are full of basic errors. No wonder his clutches don't last very long.

Offline ElliotReidMD

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 mk1
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
Do tell what was wrong for those of us who do not know.
My names Pete and I'm no doctor

Offline blizzard800

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 08:35:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by ElliotReidMD [+]
Do tell what was wrong for those of us who do not know.

For starters you really shouldn't dry fit the friction plates. The Triumph workshop manual says the plates should be coated in oil before fitting.

Another  thing I noticed is that he didn't simply undo the clutch cable guide to get the necessary free play

Offline CrashMad

• Tiger Member
  • Fixing Bikes, Riding Bikes, Fixing them again
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:38:54 PM »
Using Pliers on the barrel adjuster: No. If you can't move it by hand something is wrong.
The outer clutch basket is badly grooved. This will prevent the clutch plate sliding properly, and lead to premature wear.
He didn't change the oil and filter. The existing oil will be contaminated with particles of the old clutch. This will then contaminate the new clutch plates.
The new clutch plates should be ideally soaked in clean engine oil for a while, not just smeared. This again will lead to premature wear.
He didn't check the steel plates were straight on a flat plate with feeler gauges. This is highly likely based on the state of the rest of the components.
When he is showing how to adjust the clutch free play at the lever, the clutch lever pivot is moving excessively. So you won't get the correct adjustment and actuation. It is also likely to fail at an inconvenient time.

It's not rocket science. It's basic workshop practice.

Recent Topics