Tiger 800 / 900 - Main Discussion Section > Insurance

Canadian Insurance Shocker!

(1/4) > >>

Mtl_Tiger:
I just picked up my new Tiger 800 ABS ROAD bike today and got a call back from my insurance company about insurance rates for the bike and I'm in shock.

First of all, I also have a fully loaded 2011 BMW K1300GT Exclusive Edition bike, a relatively expensive hybrid SUV and I own my own home.  All my insurance is with the same agency and has been for years and years.  And I think it's about 25 years since I've had any claim on my insurance.

The shock is that the best rate I'm being offered is $654 per year for the Tiger, while the BMW which costs more than double what the Tiger costs, is more than $200 per year CHEAPER!  And insuring two bikes certainly should cost less than two bikes individually as I certainly cannot ride both at the same time.  My agent has been arguing with the insurance company but to no avail.  They INSIST that the Tiger 800 is an OFF ROAD bike and therefore insurance is higher.  I keep telling them that they're mixing up the XC with the Road version and my agent (who even had a booth at the Montreal Bike Show a couple of months ago) is well aware of that, but the insurance company refuses to budge.  (But who would have thought an off-road bike would be more expensive to insure than a road bike?)

SIGH

:465:

hsfarber:

You might try a different insurance company.   Likely that others have a more sensible rating for the 800. -- Hank

healdem:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Tiger I just picked up my new Tiger 800 ABS ROAD bike today and got a call back from my insurance company about insurance rates for the bike and I'm in shock.

First of all, I also have a fully loaded 2011 BMW K1300GT Exclusive Edition bike, a relatively expensive hybrid SUV and I own my own home.  All my insurance is with the same agency and has been for years and years.  And I think it's about 25 years since I've had any claim on my insurance.

The shock is that the best rate I'm being offered is $654 per year for the Tiger, while the BMW which costs more than double what the Tiger costs, is more than $200 per year CHEAPER!  And insuring two bikes certainly should cost less than two bikes individually as I certainly cannot ride both at the same time.  My agent has been arguing with the insurance company but to no avail.  They INSIST that the Tiger 800 is an OFF ROAD bike and therefore insurance is higher.  I keep telling them that they're mixing up the XC with the Road version and my agent (who even had a booth at the Montreal Bike Show a couple of months ago) is well aware of that, but the insurance company refuses to budge.  (But who would have thought an off-road bike would be more expensive to insure than a road bike?)

SIGH

:465:

I'd suggest you take your handbook into the insurers
the manual clearly states the 800 is a road bike, the XC is suitable of light off road use

ws888:
Have you tried your triumph dealer. Not sure if they do that in Canada but in Oz my dealer offered a very competitive rate.

Mtl_Tiger:
Called my dealer but as mine is the first Tiger 800 he's delivered, he hasn't heard anything from other owners yet.  And no, here in Canada, the dealers don't offer insurance.  I am getting other prices though based on recommendations I've received from other Canadian bike owners on another board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version