Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: what kind of dirt road, the road version can't handle?  (Read 3461 times)

Offline markbvt

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Bonnie/T800XC
Re: what kind of dirt road, the road version can't handle?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 04:02:23 PM »
Also keep in mind that all indications are that the XC will have longer-travel (and probably higher-quality) front suspension than the road model. I expect the rear suspension is probably sprung/damped differently as well. I expect that on bumpier/rockier roads, the suspension would make a bigger difference than the wheels.

On the smoother roads, it'll come down mainly to tire choice -- although here too, the XC has the advantage, as the 21" front wheel opens up the full range of off-pavement tires, from 90% street rubber such as Tourances to 95% dirt rubber such as Pirelli Scorpion Pros -- or even full-on non-street-legal dirt-specific tires. Replacing the rear rim with an 18" one would allow fitting a 140/80-18 dirt rear tire as well instead of one of the 150/70-17 dual-sport ones... but in most cases, a TKC-80 or MCE Karoo rear should be fine.

The other advantage of the XC: with tubes and spoked rims, you can safely lower the tire pressures (for improved traction) much more than would be advisable with cast wheels and tubeless tires.

So ultimately, it all comes down to what sort of riding you expect to do. If you expect your off-pavement excursions to mainly consist of maintained dirt roads, the road version would be more than capable. But if you want to go ride the Trans-America Trail, the XC would do better.

--mark

2001 Bonneville (caffeinated) / 2003 XR650L / 2011 Tiger 800 XC ABS

Offline Gustavo

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 08:23:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by sundance [+]
let's be honest! what kind of road can't the road version handle? i guess that the only ones that it can't handle are the last two probably.

The only real limiting factor is the rider.  The bike will go anywhere the XC will if shod with equivalent tires.

Gustavo

Offline hANNAbONE

• Tiger Master
  • .......patiently waiting.......
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 08:47:36 PM »
markbvt hit the nail on the head...

cast wheels and low air pressures DO NOT mix.!

the laced wheels are specific for that  purpose.

I'm am still leaning towards the XC solely for the "options & opportunities" it gives me
while not limiting my possibilities in riding it anywhere I choose.

Smallish cast front wheel and less suspension travel and an all around lower bike is setting one up for
disaster in an offroad setting. Catch a large rock on the underbelly of the lower road version
and you might be there a good long while waiting for help.

Pick your poison - but the XC is looking like the choice if any offroad is in the memory making.
hANNABONE
'07 BMW K12R.sport
'09 Kawa KLR 651 & '11 Trumpy Tiger XC (**soon**)

Offline sierra_victor

• Tiger Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 11:30:43 PM »
I thought Road at first but maybe XC  :027: :027:

Brian..

Recent Topics