Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cruise Control???  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Milemuncher

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 R
Cruise Control???
« on: February 04, 2015, 05:56:30 PM »
With the new Tigers for 2015 in mind, am I just being old fashioned thinking that cruise control and bikes are a strange mixture?  For long motorway runs in the car I love my cruise control, but when I take the Tiger out my thinking is to find some twisties asap. Am I missing something?
... never say never ...

Offline T120R

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 T120R
Re: Cruise Control???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 06:14:09 PM »
If you are having to travel via motorway to reach the beloved twisties or in a section with average speed cameras they can be a God send.

Offline SteveB

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XCX & F650
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 09:15:33 PM »
Also very good for setting your speed to not fall foul of average speed cameras.
SteveB

jaffa1963

Offline Stonesie

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Street Triple R
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 10:00:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by jaffa1963 [+]
Also very good for setting your speed to not fall foul of average speed cameras.

This is why I wouldn't mind it, on a STR with the quick throttle maintaining a constant 50 down the M1 for 20 miles took more concentration than I thought it would, I usually avoid it but on the way down to Ride to the wall it was necessary.

There appear to be more and more 50 zones on motorways, the M62 has had one for a while now and has more recently sprouted variable speed limits with rear facing cameras.

Offline grin factor

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Blue Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 10:09:13 PM »
I'm not sure about all these "rider aids".  I like to ride my bike and don't want a computer chip doing it for me. I like to watch what I'm doing, use the throttle as its ment to be used. Whats it all tuning into? Soon there'll be auto visor wipe, lip gloss application, the list is endless! 
The less you give a hoot, the happier you'll be.

Offline Arma

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Black XCx
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 06:13:14 AM »
It's a very, very strange feeling - cruise on a bike.  But motorway isn't always avoidable,  flicking it on allows you to take away any real concern for accidentally breaking a speed limit, more focus on the road ahead.  Also saves a lot of strain on the hand and once it's on it can take my hand off of the throttle for a wiggle/shake.  Yes,  you can do that without but this way there is no change in speed.
2012 Black Tiger 800 XC ABS - Died in the Swiss Alps
2015 Black Tiger 800 XCx

Offline Greg

• Tiger Jedi
  • Tiger 800 No2.. Scrambler.. Mahoosive Yamaha
  • Bike: Tiger 800...
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 07:25:06 AM »
I have an "Omni Cruise " On my Tiger 800.

Great bit of kit, I use it all the time as we do quite a bit of motorway/Dual carriageway riding to get to some good roads down here..(We've run out of them in the South west!!)

Saves arm and wrist ache.. Couldn't be without it now..

Greg
It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.
Hugh Laurie

Offline Milemuncher

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 R
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 08:20:14 AM »
I am beginning to see this was not my best bit of thinking. Now I am retired and can ride where I want to, when I want to, I forget the miles I used to do commuting, or during work. Having a cruise control would have helped with them for sure.  And I suppose just because it's there doesn't mean you have to switch it on!  Old dogs coming to terms with new tricks - always difficult!  :001:
... never say never ...

Offline Vansflyer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Thruxton R
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 08:22:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stonesie [+]
This is why I wouldn't mind it, on a STR with the quick throttle maintaining a constant 50 down the M1 for 20 miles took more concentration than I thought it would, I usually avoid it but on the way down to Ride to the wall it was necessary.

There appear to be more and more 50 zones on motorways, the M62 has had one for a while now and has more recently sprouted variable speed limits with rear facing cameras.
:0461:
Put an Omni cruise on the Bike last year and it really does take the pressure off (literally) on long runs or camera zones.  Shake your right hand, adjust your left glove, or set it in an average speed zone... I Wouldn't be without it unless the new bike has cruise.

Ex Tiger 800 XRx. Ex Roadie 800.

Offline bippo

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 09:16:06 AM »
Huh... Hadn't heard of the Omni Cruise before but the same with Stonsie, motorways can be a bit of a bugger on the ST (I don't have an 'R'!)

I spend most of my time riding on the motorway unfortunately - specifically the M1, M60 and M62. Something like this would be great so I'm sold. Easy to remove when not needed and just keep under the seat. Perfect for the next vacation I take!

Now to work out how to sneak yet another bike purchase in under the radar...

Recent Topics

winded-staunch