Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cruise Control???  (Read 4230 times)

Offline Tigger800

• Tiger Pro
  • Tiggs
  • Bike: tigerr800xc
Re: Cruise Control???
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2015, 10:41:33 AM »
I fitted a KAOKO Friction version and love it,
I use it for motorways, wrist rests and it's surprisingly good at reducing that snatchyness of the responsive throttle when on bumpy ground.
That's something that cruise control would be no good for
Tiger 800 XC Khaki Green - 2014
Honda CRF 250 L - 2016
XVS1100 - 1999

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2015, 11:23:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Milemuncher [+]
...and that's before you mention driving with Melbourne's hook turns and tram lines - sure put the fear of death into me!   :110:

There aren't many hook turns left and the ones that are are only in about a 1 sq km area in the CBD which now has a 40kph blanket speed limit so you are probably more likely to cop a $200-$300 speeding fine than you are to have issues with the hook turns.
Wet tram tracks are another issue. You just have to be careful and the cyclists have way more problems with them wet or dry than the motorcycles do.
On the plus side you can legally park motorcycles on the footpath (sidewalk) in Melbourne so most motorcycle commuters literally park outside the front door of their workplace.

Offline Milemuncher

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 R
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
You are right about the problems for cyclists and wet tram lines. We were in Melbourne a year ago visiting our daughter. We hired a car for a week to do the coast route to the west, but I never did a hook turn - solved my terrors by just doing 3 right turns round the block on the one or two times it was necessary.  Total wimp I know!   :002:
... never say never ...

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2015, 11:30:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dan [+]
Yeah I read that it's a good system.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the vacuum canister sits on the left side of the bike sort of under where the carbs would be if the bike had carburettors.  MCCruise seem to mount all the vacuum canisters there regardless of the make and model of the bike. The canister is quite big (not big enough to get in the way) and I doubt there would be space to hide it on any modern bike. I also assume that it needs to be somewhere near throttle control cables they install.
If anybody can remember the vacuum canister from car cruise controls in the 1980s or 1990s they will know what I'm talking about.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Milemuncher [+]
solved my terrors by just doing 3 right turns round the block on the one or two times it was necessary.  Total wimp I know!   :002:

I hope you mean three lefts.
Hook turns are actually really easy when you figure them out. Start in the left lane (to turn right), move into the intersection in front of the stopped traffic coming from the left and when it's clear or when their light goes green go through the intersection.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:34:21 AM by K1W1 »

Offline Milemuncher

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2015, 11:45:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
I hope you mean three lefts.
Hook turns are actually really easy when you figure them out. Start in the left lane (to turn right), move into the intersection in front of the stopped traffic coming from the left and when it's clear or when their light goes green go through the intersection.

Yes,  :001: lefts of course!  You will remember my brain was upside down all the time we were in Auz! I get the logic of the system, kinda, but its so unique in my experience I saw no need to try it out when only there for a week and in a strange car.
... never say never ...

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2015, 11:49:53 AM »
Now that the topic is totally ruined.  :001:

When I first came to Melbourne the other interesting road rule that caught everybody out was that left turning traffic always gave way to all other traffic. Wasn't a problem for me because the same rule applied at the time in NZ but it caught every tourist and everybody from the other states of Australia out. That rule went I think in the mid or late 1990s.

Offline Milemuncher

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2015, 12:02:46 PM »
I guess I have hijacked my own thread!  :151:
... never say never ...

Offline feetup

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »

Now that bikes have ABS that works while cornering and traction control its only a matter of time before this tech hits the two wheel market. I'm picking that if you watch a BMW dealer near you you will see this tech on a bike within 2-3 years.

(Thread hijacked so who cares)
Sorry BMW, KTM have it on their 1190 Adventure as of last year.  System by Bosch.
http://www.sportrider.com/sportbike-news/bosch-introduces-motorcycle-stability-control

Do some googling and watch some vids of people trying to lock it up mid corner.... And can't.  It's quite remarkable.
Keith.

Road bike history: MT125, Z250, CX500EC, XJ900, FJ1200, R1100GS, ST955, 800XC.
Play thing: Gas Gas TXT250
Mouse Magnet

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2015, 08:39:04 PM »
Yep.., "Crash-proof" -- from now on it'll only be 'other road users' riders will need to be worried about...  :114:   :017:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:16:02 PM by AvgBear »
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics