Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: "the whine"  (Read 1547 times)

Offline pgf

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger XRx
"the whine"
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:09:49 AM »
I came across this in a review of the Tigers (one of which is on my short list for next bike):  "It revs easily with the same high-pitched whine found on other Hinckley triples."   i don't recall any such whine from my 2000 Sprint RS, but i didn't own it that long (and it was a (surprisingly) long time ago).  but searching on the forum convinces me that "the whine" is real, and people either love it or hate it.

what i want to know is:  what causes it??   i've found both "something about the airbox" and "straight cut gears" as the answer.  they can't both be right.  :-)

paul
----
Tiger XRx

Offline Dave800

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: KTM 1050 Adv
Re: "the whine"
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 07:26:36 AM »
The primary drive (gear on the clutch basket) is an anti-backlash gear - i.e it has springs fitted to it to reduce drivetrain lash. This increases the gear noise and creates the whine. It does also have straight-cut teeth, but then a lot of bikes use straight-cut primary drives and don't have the whine. Definitely nothing airbox related!

Offline Greg

• Tiger Jedi
  • Tiger 800 No2.. Scrambler.. Mahoosive Yamaha
  • Bike: Tiger 800...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 07:29:10 AM »
I love it....

My VFR had it from the gear driven cams....

It's the sound of class...

Greg
It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.
Hugh Laurie

Offline C-J

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC ABS
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 07:34:04 AM »
I was told its the air box.  You can always hear a Triumph coming.  Ive had a 675, Speed Triple and now Im on a Tiger and they all make the buzzy whining sound.
My bikes: Honda CBR600F, Triumph Daytona 600, Triumph Daytona 675, Triumph Scrambler, Yamaha TT250, Yamaha WR250, BMW1200GS, Triumph Speed Triple, Tiger 800XC, Ducati Multistrada DVT

If you're fed up of using sleeping pills check out my blog instead:

www.sprocket517.blogspot.com

Offline Mart62

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Street Triple Rs
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:32:32 AM »
Was a bit of Oh that's loud on the demo street 675 I tried. But on my 675 Daytona I've got used to it now.
The Tiger I tested seamed less noisy than both 675 's..

Offline bluesman

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 10:50:57 AM »
Today I was caging to work and while standing in traffic jam heard familiar Triumph whine. It was Sprint ST 1050 and not Tiger.
Same whine or even more of it.
I heard it on Daytona, on STR and on SpeedTripple in the past too..

Offline pgf

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger XRx
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 01:30:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dave800 [+]
The primary drive (gear on the clutch basket) is an anti-backlash gear - i.e it has springs fitted to it to reduce drivetrain lash. This increases the gear noise and creates the whine. It does also have straight-cut teeth, but then a lot of bikes use straight-cut primary drives and don't have the whine. Definitely nothing airbox related!

thanks!

paul
----
Tiger XRx

Offline Jamstealer

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800
"the whine"
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »
Whether it s the gears or the airbox I don't care:

I love the whistle: if Triumph got rid of it I would be awfully upset:
Almost as upset as if I could never eat marmite again!
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.

Recent Topics