Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Changing the parking light bulb. A Warning!!  (Read 14448 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Rocket

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2155
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
  • Location: Derbyshire
Re: Changing the parking light bulb. A Warning!!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 06:56:43 AM »
Insurance companies in the UK seem to have evolved a simple business strategy which I am sure is very profitable for them:
"don't talk to us about whats on your bike and you'll pay, talk to us about whats on your bike and you'll pay"

Offline Bravo Tiger

  • Ex Member
  • Tiger Pro
  • *
  • Posts: 122
Re: Changing the parking light bulb. A Warning!!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 09:22:47 AM »
 :187: So how MANY of you have actually told your Insurance Companies of ALL the Changes/Modifications you've made to your bikes (?)

..................... And how many of you are going to 'whine like little girls' when an Insurance Assessor takes one look at your bike after an 'Incident' and then tell's you your NOT INSURED (even when an accident was not caused by you!) because you did not tell them about even changing a ''Light Bulb''  :161:

Been looking for a policy for my new Tiger this week and it's a nightmare - some list modifications for you to add to your quote request - some don't, so what do you 'plead ignorance' in the hope you get away with it - OR declare each and every change you make?

Has anyone declared EVERY mod they've made and still  received a decent insurance quote (here in the UK)?

Online KildareMan

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 8833
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
  • Location: Naas Ireland
Re: Changing the parking light bulb. A Warning!!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 10:53:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bravo Tiger [+]
:187: So how MANY of you have actually told your Insurance Companies of ALL the Changes/Modifications you've made to your bikes (?)

..................... And how many of you are going to 'whine like little girls' when an Insurance Assessor takes one look at your bike after an 'Incident' and then tell's you your NOT INSURED (even when an accident was not caused by you!) because you did not tell them about even changing a ''Light Bulb''  :161:

Been looking for a policy for my new Tiger this week and it's a nightmare - some list modifications for you to add to your quote request - some don't, so what do you 'plead ignorance' in the hope you get away with it - OR declare each and every change you make?

Has anyone declared EVERY mod they've made and still  received a decent insurance quote (here in the UK)?

Rule here (Ireland) is to report performance enhancing only.  Light bulbs and hand guard extensions don't matter.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline b1kerb0y

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 504
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
  • Location: Glos, UK
Re: Changing the parking light bulb. A Warning!!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 11:13:34 AM »
Unless it effects the performance of the bike like an exhuast i dont normally tell them tbh.
If ignorance is bliss, why arent more people happy?????

Orange XC

Offline Rocket

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2155
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
  • Location: Derbyshire
Re: Changing the parking light bulb. A Warning!!
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by b1kerb0y [+]
Unless it effects the performance of the bike like an exhuast i dont normally tell them tbh.

Same here but was surprised to learn that bulbs are classed as performance enhancing. Resprayed panels in sporty colours and handlebar mods are 2 others that may affect premiums  :112:

Offline SeanD_Colorado

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1260
  • Bike: T800XC ABS White
  • Location: Denver, CO, USA
Changing the parking light bulb. A Warning!!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 02:44:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocket [+]
Same here but was surprised to learn that bulbs are classed as performance enhancing. Resprayed panels in sporty colours and handlebar mods are 2 others that may affect premiums  :112:

Wow.  Are premiums high as a result? It seems there would be a lot of administrative overhead trying in keeping track of all those little bits and pieces. I much prefer the simple method my insurance company uses, at least I understand it and don't worry when I order some sort of aftermarket farkle.

Offline Simon Smith

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 539
  • Location: Surrey, UK
Re: Changing the parking light bulb. A Warning!!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 06:08:23 PM »
When I insured mine Bennets asked if I had any accessories fitted so I said "yes", they asked if the value I had given them for the bike included them and I said "yes". At no point did they ask what the accessories were. So presumably more accessories would be covered as they wouldn't know when they were fitted.

Modifications (exhaust etc) would probably be a different matter though.
Tiger 800XC ABS in Orange

Offline RichardC

  • U-turn Champion 2011
  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 581
  • Bike: KTM950SMR+800XC
  • Location: Dorset, England
Re: Changing the parking light bulb. A Warning!!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 08:03:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by jenkspj [+]

I bought some 2 T10 168 194 Car White 10 LED SMD Light Bulb Lamp 12V (whatever those numbers mean  :187:) and switched one for the parking light on my KTM ('cos I don't have a Tiger anymore). It turns on nice and bright and white, but after a while riding (10-20 mins), the light is decidedly blue. If I turn it off for a period, it will be white agian.

Now, I know that I paid a tenth of the one you linked to, but please can you confirm that your bulb always remains white. And yes - I know the adage " you get what you pay for".

Offline oneorangedog

  • Non-Active
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Posts: 296
  • Bike: white xc
  • Location: leeds, uk
Re: Changing the parking light bulb. A Warning!!
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Simon Smith [+]
When I insured mine Bennets asked if I had any accessories fitted so I said "yes", they asked if the value I had given them for the bike included them and I said "yes". At no point did they ask what the accessories were. So presumably more accessories would be covered as they wouldn't know when they were fitted.

Modifications (exhaust etc) would probably be a different matter though.
if bennets are anything like Carole Nash, then they will have a predetermined accessories value limit which for CN is 500.
if you want anything over that value insuring then you have to specify each accessory and its value, and there is an extra  no doubt inflated) premium

Offline hartsideman

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 739
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
  • Location: Carlisle UK
Re: Changing the parking light bulb. A Warning!!
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 10:37:31 PM »
well with my extended talk's with Aviva (see insurance woes thread) owning up to luggage seat screen hugger etc did not cost me anymore and the dude told me ( aviva go up to 20% of the value of the bike with accessories) before major price hikes ( unless they are power increasing mods or specialist paint jobs ( more tempting to crooks)).

hope this helps someone
It's Here and it's Freaking Awesome "nuff Said"

I've learned sooo much from my mistakes.. I'm thinking of making some more ;-)


 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch