Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Changing the parking light bulb. A Warning!!  (Read 14447 times)

Offline firecat0_0

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XC/KDX/C15T
Re: Changing the parking light bulb. A Warning!!
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 05:44:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by jenkspj [+]

Hi, I went for one of these following your post. It was, as you say very bright, at least until the individual LED's started to fall off! I lost three over a period of about a month before it died entirely. Sent it back to ultraleds and am waiting a credit. Apparently these are not rated for use within heads lamps. Get too hot and the glue melts apparently?! Website shows them as not being suitable - now. Not at all sure that was the case when I originally bought it. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I really liked the white light and the fact I would not run the battery flat in a short period of time if (when) I inadvertently left the parking light on (old age!!) has anyone found a suitable alternative?

All the best

:465: :465: :465:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:33:26 PM by firecat0_0 »
As a bike rider you know why dogs love to stick their heads out of car windows into the breeze!!

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 06:08:31 PM »
I had the opposite when my first Versys was written off, even though I'd declared all the accessories and included the damaged ones in the claim, I had to claim seperately for them as "uninsured accessories", so since they decided they weren't part of the bike I whipped them all off before the scrapper took the bike away  :016:

MCE have only asked about accessories not fitted by the dealer at point of sale (i.e. included in total purchase price) and any performance mods and here the only one they were interested in was aftermarket exhausts.

There is no way light bulbs can be considered performance enhancing, they do not allow you to go faster day, or night, they are a safety improvement allowing you to see obstacles sooner/ clearer at night, any UK insurance Co says any different drop me a line and I'll have a word (they must all know me by now)  :001:

Where they could ask for an additional premium is if you fitted additional lighting i.e. bolted on accessory lights like my precious FOG lights, but then only because they add value/ cost to the bike.

Be quite clear with your Ins Co, performance mods are strictly limited to engine/ exhaust/ suspension mods that increase the performance or handling of a vehicle  :211:

Oh and don't just stick zenon bulbs/ HD conversions in a standard light unit, they are illegal unless the reflector is designed for that type of bulb and they're crap, scattering light randomly and dazzling everyone  :138:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:11:11 PM by Dilbert »
Now available in "Batman"

Offline Yossarian

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC ABS
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 02:04:45 AM »
FWIW, you can change the parking bulb on an XC without losing the bulb in the housing, if you remove some screws on the tank cover and just underneath and toward the back of the beak.  This allows you to lift the back of the tank cover/surround and it pivots the beak downward, allowing full bulb extraction.  I replaced my stock bulb with a blue LED tower; it shows as a nice blue light where the park light would be. 

No comments on the legality of it all.  I'm considering swapping the fog lamp bulbs out for yellow (H3 bulb) -- anyone done that yet, and if so, do you have photos?
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.

Offline RichardC

• U-turn Champion 2011
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: KTM950SMR+800XC
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 08:00:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yossarian [+]
if you remove some screws on the tank cover and just underneath and toward the back of the beak.  This allows you to lift the back of the tank cover/surround and it pivots the beak downward, allowing full bulb extraction.

Good tip - just take care that you don't exert too much leverage tilting the beak downwards as the vertical flanges holding the cockpit assembly are quite weak. On my first XC I noticed that one side had snapped off, and that was not by anything that I had done except maybe go over a deep pothole.

Offline Jonny2001

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 01:19:44 AM »
Old thread, but I just changed my bulb so I thought I'd add to it. Don't have the beak so I can't attest to how awkward it is to change the bulb with it. Mine yanked right out although the wire doesn't exactly have much slack in it. LED looks real spiffy! 2$ off eBay.

Offline firecat0_0

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XC/KDX/C15T
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 12:05:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonny2001 [+]
Old thread, but I just changed my bulb so I thought I'd add to it. Don't have the beak so I can't attest to how awkward it is to change the bulb with it. Mine yanked right out although the wire doesn't exactly have much slack in it. LED looks real spiffy! 2$ off eBay.

Good luck with it, my fell apart, apparently the adhesive used to locate the LED's melted as it was not rated to be used near a heat source like the head lamp bulbs! lol
As a bike rider you know why dogs love to stick their heads out of car windows into the breeze!!

Offline Jonny2001

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 01:20:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by firecat0_0 [+]
Good luck with it, my fell apart, apparently the adhesive used to locate the LED's melted as it was not rated to be used near a heat source like the head lamp bulbs! lol

Oh well, I guess I'll find out in the spring. I'm parked for the winter right now (and it's hell).

Offline peter

• Tiger Master
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 04:10:22 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I have the the regular Tiger but installed a beak, almost under estimated the amount of effort required.

Both Philips and OSRAM manufactures LED version of W5W for automotive applications, they should be more reliable though cost many times more, but worth it.

Offline greentiger

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: tiger 800xc
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 09:40:32 AM »
i have brighter bulbs.

Offline The Stealth

• Non-Active
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Black Tiger 800
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »
 :015: I changed my parking light bulb for a LED one !! With the beak in place !!!! It was very tight but ten mins tops !!!
Cheers
The Stealth  :017:

Recent Topics