Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Two questions  (Read 3233 times)

Offline shinson

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: '11 Tiger 800 XC
Two questions
« on: May 30, 2015, 12:56:07 PM »
Hi All,

I am thinking of ordering a MTC exhaust - two questions....

Firstly, I know european laws etc can be abit funny so are these legal to use in Europe?

and Secondly does anyone know if you can fit one of these whilst having the SW Motech Rack fitted to the bike??
'11 Tiger 800XC

Offline tomcat

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Re: Two questions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 11:35:33 AM »
The MTC shouldn't cause you any problems, on the provisor you purchase one of their road legal rather than "race only" versions.
The units are physically smaller than the original and use the same mounting points, so should not prejudice the fitting of luggage.
European travel rule of thumb is, if it's legal in the home european country it's fine in others.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 11:56:42 AM »
I tend to agree that Euro regulations for things like this (& the radius of the bend in bananas) is universal.

However, I did read something last year about the Gendarmes using a dB meter to test any bike they thought was too loud at Le Mans and issuing on the spot fines to any that failed whatever test it was.
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline tomcat

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 04:34:47 PM »
Stick with a road use version from MTC and you'll be fine. Don't remove the baffle though.

Offline bluesman

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 06:03:41 PM »
Sorry guys, but that's not so simple.
If can have no E-standard stamp on it - good luck to you proving that noise level is OK to German police etc.
The one and only proof that exhaust comply with EU regulation for road use is E-stamp (of course not fake one).
While French MAY let you go if Db is low enough - my friends did not manage to convince german police to let them go once. Ended up taking bikes back with car. It is purely matter of luck. If bike not too noisy nobody will stop you = nobody will give you trouble. Unless you do something stupid like winding up throttle to show off in small town center while policeman just behind you  :001: (this is what happened to my friends)

Offline tomcat

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »
MTC road cans are stamped in accordance. Their race cans of course are not..
Page two of this government publication dictates the markings required to comply. An E or BSAU approval compliance marking. MTC road cans will carry that compliance marking.
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200304/ldlwa/40525wa1.pdf
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:24:32 PM by tomcat »

Offline bluesman

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 09:30:33 PM »
Then nobody ever can cause any trouble for having that can. Not in EU anyway.

Offline james306

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 03:38:08 PM »
It's a bit of a late response, but for the sake of people searching to find an answer, the MTC can I went for fits fine within the SW-Motech frames.

Offline digger06

• Tiger Master
  • digger06
  • Bike: tiger 800 xc
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 03:50:16 PM »
One more thing for English mot,s(which is totally different to new vehicle or equipment regs) no BS orE stamp needed for mot, pipe must be comparable/similar in noise to a similar/same bike, if it says for race use (or similar), it fails, its to allow home made or low volume production...

Recent Topics