Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Can the tiger 800 really cut it as a long distance tourer?  (Read 58882 times)

• Offline Pluto   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    16

Offline Pluto

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: 800 XRX
    Re: Can the tiger 800 really cut it as a long distance tourer?
    Reply #210 on: Jun 28, 2022, 03.02 pm
    Jun 28, 2022, 03.02 pm
    No. Not at all! I didn't know any of this. Thank you.

• Offline Tempesc

• Tiger Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline Tempesc

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #211 on: Jun 28, 2022, 05.04 pm
    Jun 28, 2022, 05.04 pm
    Great, if you want any help (eg a route for your satnav/phone) drop me a pm!

• Offline Pluto   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    16

Offline Pluto

• Tiger Member
    Reply #212 on: Jun 28, 2022, 05.06 pm
    Jun 28, 2022, 05.06 pm
    *Originally Posted by Tempesc [+]
    Great, if you want any help (eg a route for your satnav/phone) drop me a pm!

I've got to figure out if to mount the phone or just go without a proper satnav. I'm great following signs in the car but on a bike I'm clueless and need correcting..

• Offline Pluto   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    16

Offline Pluto

• Tiger Member
    Reply #213 on: Jun 28, 2022, 05.56 pm
    Jun 28, 2022, 05.56 pm
    *Originally Posted by Tempesc [+]
    As you probably know 3 days is not a lot to get to Italy so you may need to do a mix of roads.  Personally iíd use a bit of autoroute to buy me time on the types of roads you canít ride in the UK.

If youíve not done it and you want to ride something special on the way down, build in the Route des Cretes (in Alsace/the Vosges) - busy at weekends so better on a week day. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_des_Cr%C3%AAtes

And if you can fit in a day in the alpine passes they never get boring (list of the main passes here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_des_Grandes_Alpes  - an epic route but takes 4 days to ride).  iíve tended to use the Col du Petit St Bernard (just off that route) to cross from France into Italy.

Hope this is of some use (and sorry if you know all this and the tips you wanted were for the Tiger rather than the trip generally).

One question- security. What's it like generally? If you avoid the urban areas. I'll take my Squire chain/Squire padlock.

I've been told Italy can be dodgy.

• Offline Tempesc

• Tiger Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline Tempesc

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #214 on: Jun 29, 2022, 07.36 am
    Jun 29, 2022, 07.36 am
    Its just like here.  Ive been travelling in Europe and beyond for 15 years and not had an issue.  Most people in most places are good people who will only go out of their way to help!

But if you are in a more challenging/risky area youíll sense it - trust your gut.  I always take a chain and normally use it at night.  I also ask the hotel/campsite if I am unsure - they will tell you if you need to be careful and will suggest a good place to park. 

• Offline Paulhere   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    2289

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRx
    Reply #215 on: Jun 29, 2022, 09.14 am
    Jun 29, 2022, 09.14 am
    *Originally Posted by Pluto [+]
    One question- security. What's it like generally? If you avoid the urban areas. I'll take my Squire chain/Squire padlock.

I've been told Italy can be dodgy.

I always camp on Italy trips, feels safe with bike next to tent, never used a lock or chain, northern Italy is the wealthy industrial area. I wouldn't park my bike in Manc or Milan & walk away from it. Do as here. Ridden to Italy 20+ times, since '99 to Milan British bike owners rally, often twice a year. Moniga (south end of lake Garda) is 2 days easy, stopping in Vosges, then paying the Swiss vignette & straight through. Also spent a week getting down to the Adriatic, a more enjoyable way, with 2 night stops in Vosges to ride the Ballon then toll free route thro' Swiss Alps riding the passes, your choice. The T800 in my experience will do 60mpg bimbling along B type roads but down low 40's at 80+mph M'way. Fuel light on 30 miles before my usual fuel stop in Lux, the 1050 does that easy. Fuel is cheap in Lux. Dear in Belgium.

A Scottoiler or similar saves faffing about with the chain on a long run, carry a cable inner kit with enough tools to fit it, & tyre repair kit with a good mini compressor.
    Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

winded-staunch