Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Long range (30ltrs) Safaritank...fitted  (Read 9840 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mickey

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 300
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XCx
  • Location: USA
Re: Long range (30ltrs) Safaritank...fitted
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 05:35:44 PM »
I don't doubt the tank itself is lighter, but not by enough to compensate for all that extra fuel.  It HAS to be heavier, when full, unless the OEM tanks is hammered out of sheet lead.

Nevertheless, if you have need of that kind of range it's better the weight be in the form of fuel than metal.

Offline berger

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 334
  • Bike: 2014 Tiger 800XC
  • Location: Ottawa, Canada
Re: Long range (30ltrs) Safaritank...fitted
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 06:07:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mickey [+]
....unless the OEM tanks is hammered out of sheet lead.

 :492:
------------------------------------------------------------
2014 Tiger 800XC ABS
2007 Ural Patrol 2wd

Offline Babbs

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 24
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xc
  • Location: Newbury
Re: Long range (30ltrs) Safaritank...fitted
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 08:24:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by gfleck [+]
Nice mileage!  :047:

On tanksafari site there ares 3 options of colors: white, translucent and black.

I'm so curious to see how is the translucent model, it's is really translucent?

There is a photo anywhere?  :440:

I went for the white, mainly because the Tiger I bought was white so felt like sticking with the colour.  Having looked at the Triumph Australia site, they had one with translucent and you could see the fuel level through it!

Offline Babbs

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 24
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xc
  • Location: Newbury
Re: Long range (30ltrs) Safaritank...fitted
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 08:27:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mickey [+]
I don't doubt the tank itself is lighter, but not by enough to compensate for all that extra fuel.  It HAS to be heavier, when full, unless the OEM tanks is hammered out of sheet lead.

Nevertheless, if you have need of that kind of range it's better the weight be in the form of fuel than metal.

The two fuel tanks when empty were hugely different in weight!  However, I'd wager that there is marginal overall weight difference initially until the fuel level drops!  The bike feels more like a super-moto the way it rides now, absolutely loves the bendy roads and trails!

Offline Mickey

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 300
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XCx
  • Location: USA
Re: Long range (30ltrs) Safaritank...fitted
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 09:31:26 PM »
If it's substantially lighter than the OEM tank you COULD enjoy lighter weight.   There is no law that says you have to fill it all the way up. 

All your onboard computer info, like range-to-empty, is now useless.  But what about the basic fuel gauge?  Does it just read "full" until the level drops below the standard quantity?  Do you even have  fuel gauge at all?

Offline gfleck

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 120
  • Bike: none
  • Location: Italy
Re: Long range (30ltrs) Safaritank...fitted
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 09:36:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Babbs [+]
I went for the white, mainly because the Tiger I bought was white so felt like sticking with the colour.  Having looked at the Triumph Australia site, they had one with translucent and you could see the fuel level through it!

It's a nice feature see the level inside the tank for me.

 :152:
San Pedro de Atacama, Chile and Machu Picchu, Peru - 2013 (http://gfleck.qsl.br/primospicchu)
Ruta 40, Argentina - 2014
Pantanal, Brazil - 2015
Italy, Rome to Siracusa - 2017

Offline Babbs

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 24
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xc
  • Location: Newbury
Re: Long range (30ltrs) Safaritank...fitted
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 09:44:44 PM »
A simple bit of maths cures the fuel gauge, take the reading...add 50% (roughly)! First time I ran it, I carried a 5ltr fuel container to gauge the milage, and with conservative riding (not over 70 mph, easy throttle and breaking) got 340 miles...therefore allowing for more aggressive riding and the use of knobblies id say 300 as a more conservative figure!

Offline Babbs

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 24
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xc
  • Location: Newbury
Re: Long range (30ltrs) Safaritank...fitted
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 09:45:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by gfleck [+]
It's a nice feature see the level inside the tank for me.

 :152:

That's what makes this great...each to their own!

Offline Mickey

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 300
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XCx
  • Location: USA
Re: Long range (30ltrs) Safaritank...fitted
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 09:51:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Babbs [+]
That's what makes this great...each to their own!

So the gauge does still read?  I assume it just says "full" for 150 miles or so, and then starts to drop more or less normally.  Which would be just fine.

Offline Babbs

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 24
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xc
  • Location: Newbury
Re: Long range (30ltrs) Safaritank...fitted
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 09:55:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mickey [+]
So the gauge does still read?  I assume it just says "full" for 150 miles or so, and then starts to drop more or less normally.  Which would be just fine.

It's pretty much like that, fullest i've seen the reading was 220miles, but the gauge does drop...very slowly!

 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch