Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Long range (30ltrs) Safaritank...fitted  (Read 10419 times)

Offline Mickey

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XCx
Re: Long range (30ltrs) Safaritank...fitted
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 09:59:32 PM »
That's odd.  Does the tank have its own sensor, or do you install the OEM one? 

Offline xrman

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger800XCx
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 06:16:47 PM »
If you have the translucent tanks and to some degree the white one, you can see the fuel level on the Safari tank. Black is not good to see the fuel level. Made in OZ the colours are durable, unlike Acerbic tanks which fade with age. They add extra UV stabilizers.

I have purchase a  few of their tanks. Good product and good back up when things go wrong ( i.e. fuel taps can be unreliable )

I have a translucent Safari on my DRZ that holds about 30L. You notice the weight when full. Heavier springs are probably a good idea. I just added 10 L /20L/ 30L and marked the level with a texta on a slight file roughened area. I have trouble accessing the last few litres on the  DRZ. On a lighter bike you can tip it over to get all but the last 2 L into the carbie.

Offline Babbs

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xc
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 08:36:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mickey [+]
That's odd.  Does the tank have its own sensor, or do you install the OEM one?

I believe it used the OEM one, the dealership never mentioned any dramas, will have a look inside the OEM tank tomorrow!

Offline NORTY

• Tiger Master
  • RiderCoach
  • Bike: 2012 800XC
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2015, 04:55:06 AM »
I went to the USA importer for the SafariTanks. They wanted something like $750 for the tank. They had about 30 of them for the Tiger model.

I dunno if I would buy one even if I got a 50% discount...likely not. :110:

Just not worth $375 to me. :017:

I could have used that extended range once. About 2 years ago. Not a huge problem, but it would have been nice insurance.
MSF RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!) :)

Offline Mickey

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XCx
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2015, 07:16:45 AM »
I guess of the extra capacity is in the form of "width" and "length", but not "height", an OEM sending unit would work just fine throughout the range.

Offline xrman

• Tiger Member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2015, 06:31:58 PM »
Even though they are made on Oz the safari tanks cost less in USA. We are not amused!

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 06:44:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by xrman [+]
Even though they are made on Oz the safari tanks cost less in USA. We are not amused!

No they don't.
US$750.00 = Aus$1041.00 near enough PLUS you would have to add state and local sales taxes in the US that would be at least another 6-10% so you are talking in the range of Aus$1100.00 - Aus$1150.00 all up.
The tanks are Aus$925.00 here inc GST.

Having said that if I ever needed additional range on the Tiger I'd probably be more inclined to go with 2 x 1 US gallon Rotopax containers which would be getting up around the 28 litre all up capacity but would allow more flexibility that the single 30 litre safari tank.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 06:48:24 AM by K1W1 »

Offline uvp593

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 05:35:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
[...] if I ever needed additional range on the Tiger I'd probably be more inclined to go with 2 x 1 US gallon Rotopax containers which would be getting up around the 28 litre all up capacity but would allow more flexibility that the single 30 litre safari tank.

Ditto.   My son lent me an old 1.5g rotopax which I strapped on my BMW GS whenever touring.  I never used it to refill my tank but occasionally topped off riding companions' tanks so we could make it to the next town without undue stress.    He took it back so now I just have a few MSR 1L bottles.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 05:51:51 PM »
I've had both: a D-S bike w/3+ gal. tank and 1/2 gal. container on the h/bar cross-bar -- and, a D-S bike with an aftermarket 5 gal. tank fitted.
I've enjoyed having the 5 gal. tank more -- just more relaxed about distance capability, simpler set-up, etc.
YMMV  :015:
"I've a fine felt hat and a strong pair of brogues
and I've rosin in my pocket for my bow.
My fiddle strings are new and I've learned a tune or two
and I'm well prepared to ramble I must go."
Tommy Makem

Offline xrman

• Tiger Member
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 05:54:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
No they don't.
US$750.00 = Aus$1041.00 near enough PLUS you would have to add state and local sales taxes in the US that would be at least another 6-10% so you are talking in the range of Aus$1100.00 - Aus$1150.00 all up.
The tanks are Aus$925.00 here inc GST.

Having said that if I ever needed additional range on the Tiger I'd probably be more inclined to go with 2 x 1 US gallon Rotopax containers which would be getting up around the 28 litre all up capacity but would allow more flexibility that the single 30 litre safari tank.

I stand corrected! In many of the popular bikes the Safari tanks were cheaper imported from tanks R us ?? in the past. Exchange rates have probably killed that situation.
I use a 12 litre Liquid Containment fuel bladder to extend the range of my Tiger. If the trip requires 600Km between fuel stops I will take my long range DRZ400 ( Safari 28L -32L tank ) plus the 12L bladder as back up.

Recent Topics