Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GPS power (no splice, one bolt, 15min easy job).  (Read 35766 times)

Offline rubberdown

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger xc
Re: GPS power (no splice, one bolt, 15min easy job).
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 09:47:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by T120R [+]
What did you do with all the gubbins connected to the power lead - voltage reducer,  fuse and all the cable in between?

Nothing, it is a TomTom rider with all that gubbins built into the mount, I just shortened the cable and wired it as the photos in this link,  :187:

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 08:21:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by rubberdown [+]
Hi folks, anybody that understands this mysterious electrical sorcery, I wired my sat nav using this method, the horn worked fine but when I attached the sat nav, I got a low level faint sound from the horn,  :435: as though the sat nav was acting as a switch for the horn, where the  :172: am I going wrong?  :187:

If you're struggling give me a shout and I'll look at it for you, I'm only down the road

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline T120R

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 T120R
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 08:57:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by rubberdown [+]
Nothing, it is a TomTom rider with all that gubbins built into the mount, I just shortened the cable and wired it as the photos in this link,  :187:

That would be much tidier, Had to locate all mine under the seat and connect direct to the battery.

Offline rubberdown

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger xc
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 08:49:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
If you're struggling give me a shout and I'll look at it for you, I'm only down the road

Cheers for the offer Rtwo, I had another dabble today and sorted it,  :046:

Offline critch

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrx
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 11:18:40 PM »
I powered my rider 410 today  using this mod and it works beautifully.

Don't do what I did trying to be a smartass looking for a tidier job.  I wired both negative and positive wires from the satnav mounted to the horn terminals then scratched my head wondering why the satnav only powered up when I operated and kept the horn button pressed!

Then I realised it was a broken circuit with the horn button acting as breaker.  Press the horn button then you have power to the horn and thus the satnav powers on and charges.

Wiring the negative to the chassis leaves out  the horn button as circuit breaker so you then have ignition live whenever you need it.  Works great.

Offline CheesyWotsit

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800xc se
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2016, 06:11:28 AM »
Brilliant. Now that is funny.

You can't ride a thunderbolt without getting burned!

Offline Rascal

• Tiger Member
  • Oh #### a falling tree!
  • Bike: Tiger Xr
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 03:05:33 PM »
 Carried this out this afternoon, took me an hour but I am a complete biff on all things technical, but the diagrams and tip on the posi tap have allowed me, a complete novice to complete this. All checked with Garmin powering up on Engine start, horn works and Garmin asking to be Powered down on ignition turn off. One happy Tiger rider , many thanks for this, greatly appreciated 👍
*Originally Posted by Cobra [+]
On my previous Tiger I had spliced the low beam wire to power my Tomtom GPS, and it worked flawlessly. No permanent power, only when the bike is on, as I wanted.

So first with the new one I was set to do pretty much the same, unless splicing a wire will pretty much void the warranty.

So, done some search and found in the french forum a simple and neat solution.

For this I needed just a piggy-back crimp terminal and a wire ring type connector.

The idea is to wire the GPS cable to the horn (+) and frame (-)

So first we need to unscrew the horn support from the frame, and that will be all we'll need to undo.

The target terminal is the one with the blue line, that's where we'll connect the piggy-back terminal.

The other wire will be attached directly to the frame, right there where the screw came off.

Here's one terminal in place, and one to go.

And here's the other terminal in place, actually in this photo the horn support is missing just so I could take a nice picture.

Now, can't be much simpler than this.

Thanks to Bernardbrenat and mario from the french forum (tiger800.fr) for point me this great solution.
Rascal

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 11:21:00 PM »
Hi, I powered fog lights this way and used a separate on/off switch, which was easy once I'd figured out the wire colouring and sequence of 3 into 2.
So I thought I'd be a bit flash and add DRLs 99p off eBay.  These were really bright on a spare battery, but when wired using a connector off the piggy back live and common earth they only give a dull glow.
Where am I going wrong, or is there another handy power source to tap into?
I'd have thought that as they are all leds the drain would be. Negligible.
Thanks for any comments. Steve

Offline tonyb568

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XCA
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »
Guys,
This is my take on it using a piggy back terminal. 

No need to piggy back the wire itself into the loom terminal at all.  There is enough room for both within the horn fitting.

This way you just need to unplug the piggy back if you need to remove the Tom Tom in future.

I have quite a few spare piggy backs and 8mm terminals for the frame if anyone needs them

Just PM me

Cheers
Tony B

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 10:33:49 AM »
I have a Garmin Zumo 590 that i wired direct to the battery, I always remove the sat nav from the mount when not in use and have had this set up for over 12 months and have not experienced any issues with battery drain.

Question... Is connecting direct to the battery the wrong thing to do, if i remove the device from the mount after use, what are the advantages/reasons for wiring via a switch/relay etc???

:465: Cheers
Ride to work. Work to ride

Recent Topics