Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GPS power (no splice, one bolt, 15min easy job).  (Read 35817 times)

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
Re: GPS power (no splice, one bolt, 15min easy job).
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2020, 03:12:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Northern [+]
For everybody, who like me, would like to power GPS unit, using switched +12 from horn on 2018 and newer model - NOT WORKING.

Find  it out by testing, and letter get confirmation on Hynes Manual electrical diagram:
- pre 2018 models have horn wired +12 from ECU and Ground is coming throw the horn switch.
- 2018+ models, have fix ground and +12 is connected via horn relay, which is operated via horn switch.

So, for wiring GPS on 2018+ Tiger models, other options have to be found.

Use the White Connector block under the passenger seat GREEN WIRE 12v Switched or as I have, direct to battery
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Pro
  • I don't know why ,but I love my tiger
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2020, 06:59:13 AM »
Why doesn't Triumph provide an outlet around the headlamp for sat nav hook-up
I owned  a. Few beemers , they have a hard wired gps mount that only fits a motorad gps ( made special 4 beemers by Garmin) , so they can sell you a 1000 $ gps with special software to work with the left grip wheel and get a lot of additional information through the GPS ,  I took the mount off and wired all my accessories though that harness.  And the GPS is not on the can buss , that's for engine management .
(- pre 2018 models have horn wired +12 from ECU and Ground is coming throw the horn switch. )
Normally the ecu  does not feed power directly to horn +  if it did then if the horn shorted or wiring . The ecu would be damaged , ( your missing something in that diagram  )  it would have a relay , or a fuse and ecu's mostly control circuits on the ground side , the power is there to run the transistors , so they can switch the grounds on and off . Look at a injector wiring diagram .
Never use ecu in a accessory circuit or your ecu won't be happy
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:13:31 AM by Dirtbag »

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2020, 08:29:04 AM »
added a switched power unit underneath the pillion seat to run all accessories

works well except that the denali soundbomb seems to prefer permanent power (wouldn't consistently respond to first press of the hooter button) and I therefore connected the live to the input side of the power unit.

(the seperate thingie at the bottom of the pic is the dvr for the innov cameras)
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline Northern

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCa
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2020, 06:29:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bladerunner99 [+]
Use the White Connector block under the passenger seat GREEN WIRE 12v Switched or as I have, direct to battery
This is additional Bluetooth module connector, and it seems like to be more obvious choice. I just wanted to avoid routing new cables under the tank, but if it would not be any other option, I wold use this connector.

Offline Northern

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCa
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2020, 06:49:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dirtbag [+]
(- pre 2018 models have horn wired +12 from ECU and Ground is coming throw the horn switch. )
Normally the ecu  does not feed power directly to horn +  if it did then if the horn shorted or wiring . The ecu would be damaged , ( your missing something in that diagram  )  it would have a relay , or a fuse and ecu's mostly control circuits on the ground side , the power is there to run the transistors , so they can switch the grounds on and off . Look at a injector wiring diagram .
Never use ecu in a accessory circuit or your ecu won't be happy
Yes, you are absolutely right - my bad. My tiger is 2018, so I was not looking on pre 2018 models diagramm very patiently.
Older model do not have relay: +12v is coming switched from the ignition lock (yellow on diagram) and horn switch is giving earth contact to horn itself. This is why, gps could be wired to horn on pre 2018 models.
 :031:

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2020, 07:04:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Q [+]
added a switched power unit underneath the pillion seat to run all accessories

works well except that the denali soundbomb seems to prefer permanent power (wouldn't consistently respond to first press of the hooter button) and I therefore connected the live to the input side of the power unit.

(the seperate thingie at the bottom of the pic is the dvr for the innov cameras)
I like that nice unit 
Before I sold my 2016 R1200RS  I removed the custom wire harness made to connect to the GPS ignition hot wire harness that went to gps , cell power and radar detector and swapped it to the tiger .I ran power and ground under the tank from the battery on a switch and fuse and wired everything under the tank
The Beemer had connectors on the GPS harness to the man harness and it was clean I just wired upstream of the connectors
I have a hard time wiring anything to the triumph harness I solder all my connections , the fuse / relay stuff under the seat is really tight. I don't want to screw with it.
I hate to splice into factory wiring . I was a tech at auto dealerships and have been in auto repair many years   
I won't butcher anything.
I would like to jump off switched power under the seal somewhere ? 
I need to get off my butt and hang out the relay and fuse stuff and set up and clean connection of ignition swiched power under the seat.
I like using the generic bosch style  4 prong relays they are simple and safe way to run power .
I guess I will do it today I did the valve check and everything is apart I had to pull the radiator to get the valve cover off  :232:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:14:25 PM by Dirtbag »

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2020, 07:29:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Northern [+]
Yes, you are absolutely right - my bad. My tiger is 2018, so I was not looking on pre 2018 models diagramm very patiently.
Older model do not have relay: +12v is coming switched from the ignition lock (yellow on diagram) and horn switch is giving earth contact to horn itself. This is why, gps could be wired to horn on pre 2018 models.
 :031:
No problem And wiring diagrams are often wrong , the info is generic info that companies get it from manufacturer information and even that often is wrong mid year changes , part availability problems they use different parts that are need different wiring and on and on , That's why you need to test and retest when doing wiring repairs . You don't know how many times I got the wiring diagram for the right year and model and info is wrong . 

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2020, 11:33:46 PM »

Fat hot wires from ignition switch are barried . So under seat there is a two wire connector , it's always hot I didn't want the ecm power fuse box , so I connected under headlamp / fan fuse box to blue fat wire going into box to fuse 1-3 could not find any other place for ignition control that I liked for ignition controlled power . Maybe  I will try a posi connector next time . I just trimmed a open spot , soldered , used electrical friction tape , wired a fuse and a toggle switch , this controls my all my accessories now .it's kind of a hack job , but its better then having a dead battery because you didn't trunn off your farkle switch  switch  2015 xcx
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 11:57:14 PM by Dirtbag »

Offline Nick_2112

• Tiger Master
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2020, 07:44:55 PM »
Just a quick question, the 2 dome head bolts just infront of the horn (under the beak) are in a slot and if loosened can slide approx 25mm for and aft, I want to use these to mount a fog light bracket.

What are these bolts threaded into that allow them to slide, ie. if I remove them is there a captive nut of sorts?

Anyone taken them out to mount a bracket remember if you can replace themito the thread?

cheers Nj

Offline Arianta

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2020, 01:58:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThaiRider [+]
... So when you reach your waypoint its blows your horn...?

But seriously... A great idea !

TR

At least they know you've arrived..... :001:

As you say this is a great mod which I'm about to do as well.
'38 Triumph 250 single, '55 Tiger cub, more BSA Bantams than you can shake a stick at. '53 BSA A10, '66 Dunstall Norton 750 Atlas, 40 year break, MT07, R3, 650 Burgman, Bonnie America 865, 700 Deauville, Tiger 800. Phew!

Recent Topics