Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sprint GT SE, New Sport, or New Explorer  (Read 7592 times)

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Sprint GT SE, New Sport, or New Explorer
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2016, 12:07:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by rozzer [+]
My new 1050 Sport is being delivered to Bridge tomorrow,so I will have it for May 2nd. Yeayy!!!!

Excellent news Rozzer, hope to see that big daft grin of yours soon  :028:
Now available in "Batman"

Online rozzer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: '16 1050 Sport
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2016, 12:38:54 PM »

Cheers mate,1200hrs tomorrow,the grinning comences.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2016, 01:17:34 PM »
Not been on for a couple of weeks as I've had another extended stay at Royal Stoke Hospital, where I've got to with regards a new bike when I finally get fixed and have some cash in the bank :

1. Sprint GT, lovely bike, good price with all the panniers, screen, etc as standard, concerned about the ergonomics, much more leaning forward than any of the adv style bikes and while the styling appeals to a degree, it's just not the same as an adv bike, final word, Mrs D doesn't like it at all, so that's it then  :181:

2. Explorer, I rode one for about 4-5 days while my last T800 was in for a service and gear selector mod' excellent bike, absolutely loved it, would have one like a shot, downside, if I were to get one I would want the new version with RBW, etc and that puts it way outside my price bracket, TBH I would probably struggle to get a good SH one with the accessories I would want.

3. Tiger Sport, I could probably get an older one like the one I broke at a reasonable price, however I was starting to feel the limits of the suspension and would probably need to do some upgrades, so again price could well end up outside my budget, I also think that the extra power could be a problem for insurance, I haven't dared look at insurance quotes just yet !
New Tiger Sport, all the good things of the old one, but with lots of good improvements, same flipside comments as the Explorer regards cost and not sure whether Triumph have rushed this model to market, they were saying nothing for a long time and then all of a sudden it's here ?
Fuel consumption was pretty good for the 1050 engine, but a full tank disappeared in 187 miles ridden hard up the M6 to Alnwick with pillion and luggage.

4. Tiger 800 XR/XRx, not really considering the older models as the newer ones with RBW, etc aren't that much more expensive, suspension could still be an issue, but there appear to be one, or two upgrade options available, my local tyre dealer and race prep' mechanic http://www.bikerzracing.co.uk/ has a fork kit and spring upgrade (not progressive, but properly weighted for rider) for around 420 fitted and Nitron rear for about 450, or there's always Maxton (again), or Wilbers maybe.

So favourite has to be another 800, I had my last one for 3 years and 40,000 miles, so it can't have been that bad  :008:

While the Sport was fun for a while and certainly the extra capacity made it a more capable tourer (Like the Caponord 1000 I had a while ago), it was never as nimble and back road friendly as the 800, the fact that the Xr/XRx models have been out for about a year now means that there are good secondhand ones available for around 7,500 and there will be more as more people trade up to the new Sport and Explorer, even if I have to shell out for some of the accessories I would want and sort the suspension, on price alone it just blows everything else right out of the water  :028:

Offline fozz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 road. t595
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2016, 09:58:03 AM »
Good review.I test rode a Sprint GT to replace my ST.
GT was barge like in comparison and the geometry completely different.Plus my wife still says the ST is still the comfiest pillion perch shes been on.ST had to go due to a shoulder problem as you say heavy on the wrists.The ST could also melt top boxes if ridden hard. :001:
Have also test rode the old model Tiger sport,still love the 1050 engine but too many annoying niggles for me.
I am test riding a new Explorer next week as the factory low version appeals to me and had a good review in MCN.But as you say stick on all the extras and its a bit Gulp!
Now we are touring a bit more two up with luggage I could just do with a few more horses for quick overtakes but that's my only reason for changing.
I have my Roadie set up perfectly for me and the missis,just need to squeeze a 1050 engine in. :084:
I can highly recommend the Maxton rear shock with progressive springs set up on mine,less than 600 all in fitted.
Cheers,
Fozz.

Offline Ming

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2016, 12:45:40 PM »
I took the new Tiger Sport out on Saturday.

Very quick, especially when the speeds are high, seems to have loads more grunt in the upper reaches.
Brakes are awesome, especially in comparison to the 800. I'm not heavy on brakes generally but if you need them in a hurry, they're great.
Couldn't hear the exhaust above 20mph, but when I did it sounded quite fruity, although it would need to be changed as it's bloody huge and I just like a bit more character in my bikes.
Seat was very comfy. It averaged 46mpg  and that was with me dicking around, so I reckon 50mpg should be achievable on a sensible run. About the same as my 800 but with more grunt.

However, there were a couple of downsides........

Screen was bloody awful. I had it in the lowest and the highest position and neither was much cop. In the low position it was like riding a Street Triple - no wind protection at all. Put the screen up all the way and although there wasn't much buffeting knocking my head around the noise was ridiculous. I'd need something much more upright - when I ducked down behind the screen at 80 mph all was silent, but it's not a position I'd want to hold for any length of time.
The footpegs dig into the sides of your lower leg when you put your foot down - I can get my legs comfortably behind the pegs on the 800 but as the ones on the Tiger Sport are set further back they get in the way.
The gear lever angle is too much like a sportsbike for my ankle, which has limited movement. I'm sure it could be adjusted so it sits higher as I have had to do with my Roadie.
Took a while to get used to a 17" front wheel as I've had 2 years on the 19" front.
Bars were tingly throughout the rev range and sat way too low for me, although I think you could get risers.

All in all I think it's a good bike for the money. Couldn't live with a matt black finish so would have to be the silver one. I'll see what Rozzer's looks like when we get together.

I'm hoping to take the KTM 1190 out next Saturday so we'll see whether 150bhp and a ton of torque is going to be overkill.

Won't make a decision until after the Spanish trip in 5 weeks and I see how the 800 gets on. One thing of concern is that 2 year old Roadie's with 12k miles start from 6k and I've still got 5 grand to pay on PCP, so there won't be much of a deposit after I've taken a lower part exchange price. May have to wait another year and buy a used version of either of the bigger bikes.
Here comes Mr Clumsy........

Online rozzer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: '16 1050 Sport
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2016, 03:52:14 PM »

Picked it up at 1200,left Bridge at 1230,just as it started to rain,by 1300 it was absolutely covered in cack,did a 100 mile ride in rain and blustery conditions but enough to tell me I made the right decision,even at restricted revs you can feel the grunt, mine didn't tingle through the bars like the demo bike did,and the mirrors didn't blur too badly,weather forecast for the next few days looks good so should be run in by the end of the week.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2016, 08:46:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by fozz [+]
I can highly recommend the Maxton rear shock with progressive springs set up on mine,less than 600 all in fitted.
Cheers,
Fozz.

I had Maxton reworked forks and rear shock on my old 800, who's progressive fork springs did you use ?

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2016, 08:57:59 PM »
Ming

Brakes, deffo awesome compared to T800, but not so they lock up unduly.

46mpg pretty standard for me, once got it up to just under 48mpg, but that was through winter and undickable-about weather.

Don't know if the new one still has the SAI (secondary air intake) this gives a lovely induction roar that compensates for the weedy exhaust note.

Fozz

Quick overtakes yes, overly optomistic ones ............................. take care, that's all I'm saying  :155:

Offline fozz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 road. t595
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2016, 08:25:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
I had Maxton reworked forks and rear shock on my old 800, who's progressive fork springs did you use ?

Maxton

Offline Drunkndumber

• Tiger Member
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2016, 01:27:29 PM »
Good review Ming. Cheers mate.

Recent Topics