Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch Cable Life  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Canuck

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2014 Tiger 800
Clutch Cable Life
« on: June 29, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »
Hi. I tried searching for information on how long clutch cables last on the Tiger and couldn't find anything, so thought I'd ask.

I'm at 21,000 km now on my 2014 Tiger roadie. I don't do off-road at all except for the occasional gravel or dirt road. I'm going on a trip soon and wondered if I should be starting to carry a spare cable.

What kind of clutch cable life have others had before needing to replace?

Thanks

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Clutch Cable Life
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 05:37:27 PM »
2011 with all original cables
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Bilo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph tiger800
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 05:44:41 PM »
Good question, I'm wandering to. But I think it should be mainly base on visual inspection, cos each bike has different route and habit of riding. For example, i ride my bike in the city quite a lot where traffic is heavy, so I use clutch quite often, but whenever ride out of traffic, i normally shift without using clutch at all.

My cable does look allright now with 5 year old. But the clutch plate need to replace already.
CBR600R
NC700X
TIGER 800

Offline Arma

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Black XCx
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 08:16:19 PM »
20,000km in and I've only had to adjust the clutch once.  I expect the cables will last a lot longer!
2012 Black Tiger 800 XC ABS - Died in the Swiss Alps
2015 Black Tiger 800 XCx

Offline samsgrandad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 roadie
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 08:57:17 PM »
If there are any broken strands around the lever or at the clutch housing, or damage to the outer sheathing of the cable anywhere along its length then change it. If it is tight lubricate it, if all is well then carry on and use it!

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
Unless it gets damaged somehow a clutch cable will last way longer than your tyres, your chain, your drive sprockets, your brake pads or your brake fluid. At only 20,000km you have nothing to worry about.
The incidence of clutch cables breaking these days is virtually nil I have seen plenty of bikes with 70,80, 90,000 km or more that were still using the original clutch cable.

Offline Canuck

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2014 Tiger 800
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 10:26:44 PM »
Great, thanks everyone.

Most of my recent bikes have had hydraulic clutches, and my real experience with cables is on the 72 Triumph Bonneville and 69 Royal Enfield Interceptor I also own. Needless to say those cables don't last so long.

One person mentioned something about lubricating the cable, but it's my understanding that the Tiger clutch cable does not require lubrication. Is that correct?

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 10:30:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Canuck [+]
One person mentioned something about lubricating the cable, but it's my understanding that the Tiger clutch cable does not require lubrication. Is that correct?

I believe that modern cables have a lining between the actual cable and the outer casing that provides if not lubrication at least a friction free surface and that if you apply lube or at least the wrong lube you can cause problems. I'm sure somebody will have the technical details.

Offline Jamstealer

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 10:53:34 PM »
Certainly on a Honda I had it said "do not " lubricate cables; the oil can damage the plastic lining.  I understood most modern cables were the same?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 10:55:37 PM »
Lots of materials have improved in leaps and bounds so I have no answer to todays cables. But I do recal in the early days of lining cables the liner was some form of early teflon and when lubricated with mineral oil, as had been the previous regime, it actually caused the teflon to swell and have the opposite effect rather than easing the inner.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch