Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch Cable Life  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Tarkwindy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
Re: Clutch Cable Life
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 10:48:30 AM »
You can usually judge when it needs replacing as the clutch lever starts to get heavier. I had one snap in the middle of the A1 into London, middle lane of 3 at 20MPH. Managed to not drop it when it stalled but still worrying. City riding wears them a lot quicker, good thing about the Tiger is that (from owning a matter of days) you don't need to remove the tank to replace.
I was getting about 30k miles before replacing / it was getting heavier. For the cost of you're going on a long trip, why risk it?

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,XCX, CB1300,
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 06:51:40 AM »
More info on this  clutch cable thread.....the  clutch cable broke today  on our 2012 800XC with 145,000  km on the clock. Kept it well lubed over 6 years but the cable strands fatigued and sheared. Suggest it's worth a check if your pushing the odometer. The break  was about 30 mm from the lever insert. That area takes the most strain.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 06:54:23 AM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »
5 years and 55000 miles on the original cable. I bought a spare ( and lever) for my last long trip and they both fit neatly under the rear seat, cant remember how much it was, but if it goes, as one day it will, then its already there.  I didnt want to route it through and fasten it to the existing one like in the old days,  I reckon its safest and cleanest where it is!
Steve

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 02:08:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by grizzlybear [+]
Why not buy a cable repair kit which are 10 from Oxford Products or 5 from M & P .
If ya don't use them they available for next bike  :152:
They do work as I used one in 1982 on a Z650

:0461: I carry a kit on every bike, not needed it myself but helped out 2 others with it.

I recently emailed Slinky Glide, the cable people, about lubing cables, they referred the query to Wemoto who said to lube with GT85 as it contains PTFE which is compatible with the Teflon lining in their cables. Their words not mine for anybody wanting an argument.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-UNIVERSAL-INNER-CLUTCH-THROTTLE-BRAKE-CABLE-REPAIR-KIT-MOTORCYCLE-NIPPLES/121034224131?hash=item1c2e33b203:g:tIgAAOSwdbla6sWY:rk:6:pf:0

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 02:24:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Canuck [+]
I'm at 21,000 km now on my 2014 Tiger roadie. I don't do off-road at all except for the occasional gravel or dirt road. I'm going on a trip soon and wondered if I should be starting to carry a spare cable.

as Kildareman, my bkje is a 2011 model, 38,000 Miles original cable.

if you are going on a long trip, away from postoffices etc then by all means carry a spare clutch cable, heck if you are that concerned (or your trip is taking you out into hostile areas rig the spare alongside the  current one so its a relatively trivial and quick job to change over... you could do the same for a throttle cable. if you do make certain you seal the ends of the cables so no crap can get onto the cable itself.

is it a wise precaution dunno
spare cable yes
rigging it, probably not
...but its your peace of mind

Being used to the UK I was amazed how long it took parts to arrive in Vancouver. granted it was 8 years ago but it took a heck of a long time (think weeks) to get parts from the NA distribution centre. In the UK (and I guess the vast majority of Europe)  you'd get antsy after 2..3 days for small minor parts..... As to the delays in getting parts to Australia/ New Zealand I dread to think

Offline fastcat

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800/BMW450/D675
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2018, 07:36:56 PM »
Yes, replaced mine yesterday. What a difference! 57,500 miles. Original, off my 12. Not broken, but stiff pull. Happy New Year.

Recent Topics