Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Blown fork seal @ 2 months / 2700 miles. Dealer says not warranty, "wear item"  (Read 3193 times)

Offline GearHd6

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 98 T595
Yes it's paid for by Triumph but it's a low flat rate that usually comes nowhere near what the mechanic actually has in it for time.
2015 Tiger XCx
1998 Daytona T595

Offline Andylaser

• Tiger Jedi
  • Heavy Metal
  • Bike: Black Roadie
Also highlights why it is worth paying the dealer for servicing during the warranty period. You have spent money with them, they will more likely fight your corner with Triumph.

Taking in donuts when you drop off your bike for work also helps. :)

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
In the UK the Sale of Goods Act covers things like this as "Not fit for intended purpose", "Not of merchantable quality" and "Not having a reasonable life", I'd suggest taking it up with the dealer again along these lines  :028:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline DaMonk45

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Explorer
I am missing something here.
You spent a WEEK in Utah and you are surprised you blew a fork seal?
I am surprised that is all that happend.
I love Utah the roads, trails, country and people.
Every time I get home I look to see what I broke this time.
Yes, there is always something.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
*Originally Posted by DaMonk45 [+]
I am missing something here.
You spent a WEEK in Utah and you are surprised you blew a fork seal?
I am surprised that is all that happend.
I love Utah the roads, trails, country and people.
Every time I get home I look to see what I broke this time.
Yes, there is always something.

A few years back I went mountain biking at Moab, broke a collar bone :)

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Jamstealer

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Did you check the thread that was suggested? Grit in the seal; just wipe it out with a piece of thin plastic ; 90% of " blown " seals just have grit in. Try it.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2015XC
Sorry to come in late on this one.

Spent a lot of time investigating fork seals on WPower.

They are common on KTM's and can be problematic, including some people I know.

I was planning a huge trip 6500klm over nearly a month in all conditions and given my bike (which was second hand) appeared to have 'not' been in the dirt and mud I thought now was the time to act.

The consensus in my investigations appears to be that if you ride dirt and mud, then if the fork tube is not 'cleaned' before starting the next day that the dry mud and crap is 'forced' past the wiping seal and into the oil seal.

So I bought a pair of watersuit type neoprene boots, the velcro type that mounts onto the upper fork leg with a cable tie and sits tight around the chrome tube.

So the tube stays pretty much clean all the time and unless you stop straight after a big bog it is certainly clean first up the next day.

Cost around $30 to $40 dollars, 15 mins to fit. Kreiga I think.

One other style that I did see online (Ballards in Australia) was like the old dirt bikes which had the concertina style rubber boot but they were out of stock plus you had to pretty much drop the forks to get them into position.

When I got home I undid the cable tie, washed them, let them air dry and refitted.

Suspect that they were dollars well spent and if nothing else the tubes will stay nicely polished and have reduced stiction... or whatever that word is.

One other good old trick I used on my old XR400 was to pop up the dust seal and wet a thin strip of air filter foam with fork oil.
Pop that under the seal and re seat.
Given the XR have a noticeable scratch on the fork leg and had gobbled a few seals in the past, that actually stopped the inner oil seal from deteriorating and never had that problem again. Just occasionally popped the dust seal, cleaned the foam and re oiled and voila.

So will get around to doing that on the Tiger, maybe... then doubly protected.   :001: :001:

Offline Lopez

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: '18 XCA
*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
Sorry to come in late on this one.

Spent a lot of time investigating fork seals on WPower.

They are common on KTM's and can be problematic, including some people I know.

I was planning a huge trip 6500klm over nearly a month in all conditions and given my bike (which was second hand) appeared to have 'not' been in the dirt and mud I thought now was the time to act.

The consensus in my investigations appears to be that if you ride dirt and mud, then if the fork tube is not 'cleaned' before starting the next day that the dry mud and crap is 'forced' past the wiping seal and into the oil seal.

So I bought a pair of watersuit type neoprene boots, the velcro type that mounts onto the upper fork leg with a cable tie and sits tight around the chrome tube.

So the tube stays pretty much clean all the time and unless you stop straight after a big bog it is certainly clean first up the next day.

Cost around $30 to $40 dollars, 15 mins to fit. Kreiga I think.

One other style that I did see online (Ballards in Australia) was like the old dirt bikes which had the concertina style rubber boot but they were out of stock plus you had to pretty much drop the forks to get them into position.

When I got home I undid the cable tie, washed them, let them air dry and refitted.

Suspect that they were dollars well spent and if nothing else the tubes will stay nicely polished and have reduced stiction... or whatever that word is.

One other good old trick I used on my old XR400 was to pop up the dust seal and wet a thin strip of air filter foam with fork oil.
Pop that under the seal and re seat.
Given the XR have a noticeable scratch on the fork leg and had gobbled a few seals in the past, that actually stopped the inner oil seal from deteriorating and never had that problem again. Just occasionally popped the dust seal, cleaned the foam and re oiled and voila.

So will get around to doing that on the Tiger, maybe... then doubly protected.   :001: :001:

Another old trick is to use vaseline in the forks. Not only when having a little leaking, but to prevent it. Vaseline will help the seal to slide. Only use it with neoprene covers, as you do, because dirt could adhere it, causing the opposite effect.

Recent Topics