Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: cam chain tensioner  (Read 4845 times)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: cam chain tensioner
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 04:13:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThaiRider [+]
I thought the cam chain tensioner was now hydraulically operated... or is that just a fairly recent change?
There is oil inside, too, that - along with a coil spring - presses the grooved inner cylinder toward the tensioner blade.

*Originally Posted by CSAW [+]
If I let my bike roll back the slightest bit while in gear it overcomes the tensioner and I get rattle upon startup.
I think - at minimum - a look inside your automatic tensioner is advised?
The spring steel register circlip may not be securely addressing the cylinder's grooves? Allowing the cylinder to reverse against the spring?
(once the tensioner's inner cylinder advances to take-up accumulated chain slack, it's designed not to return...)

There have been, over the decades, many "patents" for cam chain tensioners -- and almost all seem to come with some sort of deficiency (more or less):
The simple 'manual' adjuster means someone must do it -- and, properly.
The 'spring loaded' - automatic - adjusters require a specific design that works properly (something not always found-out in prototyping). And, springs lose their energy over-time.
Neither have 'oil-pressure' sourced tensioners been a panacea -- oil pressure may vary and isn't available until the engine has run a bit.

My advice: If you hear "rattly" engine noises? - especially, on start-up - have your cam chain tensioner checked - physically - or replaced.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience gets the money and the man with money gets the experience."
Jimmy Nighttime

Offline Timalan

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800xcse
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 01:11:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThaiRider [+]
I thought the cam chain tensioner was now hydraulically operated... or is that just a fairly recent change?
It is hydraulic mechanical and spring. Spring assisted hydraulic with a cheap ass wire spring lock which I think is the problem. It doesn't lock well.

Offline Timalan

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800xcse
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 01:13:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by ccmp [+]
Hi, just an observation. It looks like you're losing a lot of engine paint. Is that from off road? I know its a problem with these bikes.
Zero paint loss, it's all dirt. :)

Offline Luciano

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCa
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 07:32:40 PM »
Hey guys!
I have a question (actually, I would like to have an advice) related to this topic.
I own a 2016/2016 Tiger 800 XCa. I picked it up at the dealer and ride 250 km (160 miles) to my home. When I got there, I have noticed an oil leakage on the bottom part of the engine (picture below).

The dealer has put more oil than necessary and that leaded to some leakage. After removing the excedent oil, the leakage stopped.

But, from time to time, I used to hear a rattle noise coming from the right side of the engine.
I made the following video for my dealer to check the noise, which is not constant and very random.

/>
The dealer come up with the conclusion that the problem was the CAM chain tensioner and not related to the first oil leakage. They changed the tensioner under warranty, but just after a feel miles I had the same problem again, as can be seen in this video:

/>
The bike was returned to the dealer and after 15 days they said that the noise could not be observed after several tentatives and it was just perfect. I got the bike back again, after argumenting that I could not keep coming back to the dealer all the time because a fault part of the engine. Nevertheless my complain, they said that the tensioner has been removed and re-inserted and everything was fine.

So, I got the bike and, guess what? Yep, the noise was back after a couple of km. Next video shows the last record of the problem. During the first attempt everything sounds fine but in the two next one it is possible to hear the rattle.

/>
So, what should I do in this case? I still have one year warranty and I am still pressing the dealer for a final solution. Is it really the tensioner? Could something else be causing this noise? Should I leave it as it is? Should I keep putting pressure in the dealer? Should I start looking for a new bike?
I know I should not be making so much question and be able to make my mind by myself, but I must say this is my second Tiger 800 with problems that the dealers cannot solve. So, some help from the wise colleagues here can be quite helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Waiting
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 04:32:53 AM »
Doesn't sound any worse than mine does.  I would just fit ear plugs and ride with it, if it gets worse then by all means go back and get the dealer to sort it out. 

By the way these 800 triple engines are quite noisy/rattly, my 69,000km 1999 fireblade sounds like a Swiss watch in comparison.  :001:
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline Luciano

• Tiger Member
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 11:07:20 AM »

*Originally Posted by Bladerunner99 [+]
Doesn't sound any worse than mine does.  I would just fit ear plugs and ride with it, if it gets worse then by all means go back and get the dealer to sort it out. 

By the way these 800 triple engines are quite noisy/rattly, my 69,000km 1999 fireblade sounds like a Swiss watch in comparison.  :001:

I have sent the videos to the customers service and they said it is not normal at all. They have sent a truck to pick it up and send to the dealer and designated a technician to check it. Let's see what happens next...

Offline Luciano

• Tiger Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 09:51:46 PM »
Just a short update on my case. The manufacturer had sent some technicians to have a look in my bike. They have found out that it had a fault oil pressure relief valve. It's seems that the bike was overfilled with oil during the activation procedure, a problem detected during the 800 km service. The valve was probably damaged by the high oil pressure and was remaining open in some cases, reducing the oil pressure in the tensioner during the starting.
That was the explanation I have received.The valve has been exchanged under warranty. So far, so good. But I will keep recording the noise during the engine start to pick up any chain rattle in case it happens again.
I hope this problem has came to an end now...

Offline Turbo100

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 10:06:33 PM »
No way possible has overfilling with engine oil has damaged the oil pressure relief valve.
If it had been overfilled by quite a bit it would have shown up with blue exhaust smoke like 007 Aston Martin and very likely a misfire.

Glad its sorted what ever the cause
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was !!

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 10:42:14 PM »
Regardless of the cause, a faulty oil pressure relief valve could cause the automatic cam-chain tensioner to become, somewhat, inoperable.
(I tend to agree that overfilling, whilst not good for the engine, will probably not affect the pressure relief valve -- at least, I don't see how...)
But, if the oil pressure relief valve did stick open (or, part-way open), oil could be lost that would normally be supplied to the automatic tensionior to push the plunger (and 'snug' the chain).
Much the same way as a faulty (or non-existent) anti-drainback valve in the spin-on oil filter may allow oil to drain back into the sump whilst sitting and, thus, need a few seconds to re-fill on start-up -- depriving the automatic cam-chain tensioner of oil for a few seconds.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:45:54 AM by AvgBear »
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience gets the money and the man with money gets the experience."
Jimmy Nighttime

Offline Luciano

• Tiger Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »
I guess the reason that was given en to me for the faulty relief valve is wrong, but since I am not familiar at with the inner parts of the engine, I am very easily fooled by technicians.
Nevertheless less, I am running the bike for four days since the exchange of the valve and no rattle so far. I  can't say the problem is solved yet, but I hope it is. Let's wait for three or four months to be sure. Until there I will keep recording my engine starting...

Recent Topics