Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger Tool Connection Problem  (Read 6977 times)

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
Re: Tiger Tool Connection Problem
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 11:26:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Night Falcon [+]
...It does get a little further down the line but falls over when attempting the ECU handshake. Well at least its found the OBD2...
That suggests that the driver is OK but your interface isn't. It's made the initial connection to the interface but the ECU isn't responding because the interface isn't fully ELM327 compatible and therefore doesn't support one of the basic commands that TigerTool uses. Have a read through the main TigerTool thread for the latest on fake interfaces and the issues people have been having.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Night Falcon

• Tiger Member
  • white...no sugar
  • Bike: 2012 800XC
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 10:18:57 PM »
 :046: :046: :046: :046: :046: :046:

Huge thanks for the help and support ladzzz after many many inappropriate verbal expressions and endless driver trials it LIVES!!!

For anyone else who finds themselves in my boat, here's how I got round it.  :148:

PC Bike connection OBD2 ELM327 V1.5 - all my research said I had the right one....turns out I did  :123:
Use your wife's windows 7 based pc....thanks dear  :007: windows 10 sucks :173:

Download Prolific usb to serial port 3.3.2102 (9/24/08) driver - not hard to find
Will only work with Tiger Tool V.2 .....big thanks Stevie.P  :031:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 10:23:56 PM by Night Falcon »
I am the eggman....They are the eggmen
I am the walrus............Goo goo g' joob

Offline Night Falcon

• Tiger Member
  • white...no sugar
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 02:05:52 AM »
tiger tool throwing up another wee problem.....when I attempt to use ABS or T-Bal it wont complete the diagnostics and comes up with "ECU Ping Timeout"

Cant seem to find this error code on anything...anyone know what this means?

Same fault appears whether the engine is running or not.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 07:14:12 AM »
You won't find that error message documented anywhere because it's an internal TigerTool message. It's saying that the ECU is not responding to a 'ping' request ("are you there?") within a specified time.

I'll have to check the code later to see if the wait period needs to be extended but given that 100s of people have downloaded TigerTool and this hasn't proved to be an issue then I would suspect your interface might not be handling the message. I'll see if the debug version might help to diagnose this and send you a link where you can download a copy.

Offline Night Falcon

• Tiger Member
  • white...no sugar
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 09:22:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
You won't find that error message documented anywhere because it's an internal TigerTool message. It's saying that the ECU is not responding to a 'ping' request ("are you there?") within a specified time.

I'll have to check the code later to see if the wait period needs to be extended but given that 100s of people have downloaded TigerTool and this hasn't proved to be an issue then I would suspect your interface might not be handling the message. I'll see if the debug version might help to diagnose this and send you a link where you can download a copy.

Cheers  :031:

Managed to reset my mates service reminder ok, he has the same bike, but got the same message "ping" from his bike when attempting the throttle balance and ABS checks. So wasn't only on my bike if that helps?

He has said his throttle is a bit snachy at low speed so we wanted to check the Throttle balancing is ok, but I suspect it might be a map issue as his bike runs an older 20629 map. Mine has the 20769 and is real smooth. Both bikes are bone stock except for pre-filters on the air intakes. 

If the throttle bodies are in balance we might try updating his map and see if that helps (Have got Tuneecu to work with my OBD2 and pc but haven't connected to the bikes as yet) His XC is registered as a 2012 but has a the smaller bash plate so I'm wondering if its actually a 2011 ABS XC....which might explain the older map its got?

Any way its all pretty interesting stuff....I love a good mystery  :084:   

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 12:11:28 PM »
You should actually upload 21067 yourself as that replaces 20769
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 02:08:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Night Falcon [+]
Managed to reset my mates service reminder ok, he has the same bike, but got the same message "ping" from his bike when attempting the throttle balance and ABS checks. So wasn't only on my bike if that helps?
Having looked closely at the code, I'm not surprised that you see the same message on your mate's bike as I suspect it's a fault with your OBD2 / ELM327 lead. My guess is that it's not supporting the K-line (ISO9141-2) protocol, which is very unusual, but this may simply be due to a broken wire internally on pin 7 of the OBD connector. The fact that it gets as far as requesting the ping from the ECU suggests that the lead supports the protocol ok, but then the lack of response suggests a hardware issue.

With that in mind, I'd expect you to get the same timeout message whether you're checking DTCs, checking ABS DTCs or running the throttle balance checks as the ping command is only used on these functions.

Can you confirm if you also see the same timeout message when you check for DTCs?

Offline Night Falcon

• Tiger Member
  • white...no sugar
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 02:49:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
Having looked closely at the code, I'm not surprised that you see the same message on your mate's bike as I suspect it's a fault with your OBD2 / ELM327 lead. My guess is that it's not supporting the K-line (ISO9141-2) protocol, which is very unusual, but this may simply be due to a broken wire internally on pin 7 of the OBD connector. The fact that it gets as far as requesting the ping from the ECU suggests that the lead supports the protocol ok, but then the lack of response suggests a hardware issue.

With that in mind, I'd expect you to get the same timeout message whether you're checking DTCs, checking ABS DTCs or running the throttle balance checks as the ping command is only used on these functions.

Can you confirm if you also see the same timeout message when you check for DTCs?

Will check it out tomorrow but from foggy memory DTC gets through reading data but doesn't show any fault codes...assumed because there weren't any. Cant recall if the ping notice appears but I'm guessing its not functioning either.

Mate has ordered an OBD2 cable which should be here this week so will check it all out on his setup an see if that pinpoints anything. Unlikely both connectors would have the same fault.

will report back with all findings  :017:

Offline Rustyblack

• Tiger Member
  • Old but not too bold.
  • Bike: Tiger XRx 800
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2020, 10:00:48 PM »
Hi  when I connect up the obd2 lead to the laptop it shows it as a device but tigertool does not give any coms port option,
Any suggestions please?
Always consider that your alter ego may be coming the other way on the road you are on. 💥💀

Offline Rustyblack

• Tiger Member
  • Old but not too bold.
  • Bike: Tiger XRx 800
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 10:20:27 AM »
Hi probably something I am doing wrong but I have a connection problem 
Plug in obd2 lead to laptop usb  shows as a device. Open tigertool agree to term  go into com port no options to select from. 
Any advice please?
Always consider that your alter ego may be coming the other way on the road you are on. 💥💀

Recent Topics