Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Broken Gear selector Pin  (Read 1322 times)

Offline dashesonly

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Broken Gear selector Pin
« on: December 08, 2016, 01:40:51 PM »
Well I have become a victim of the Broken gear selector pin.

Coming Home last night and It Would not shift down.

I have taken off the cover an can see the broken pin but cant get the clutch off.
 Any suggestion on removing the clutch? The service manual say to put in second and apply the rear break. But the nut just won't come loose.  The flange has been bent in to the groove. Is there a way to loosen this nut or is it a case of brute force and ignorance.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Broken Gear selector Pin
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 04:09:56 PM »
Brute force and an impact driver (might help)
Lost again

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 05:55:42 AM »
The pin on my 2011R, 21,000 miles broke three weeks ago. My dealer tried to get Triumph to cover the cost but was refused due to the age of the bike. It took two weeks to get the parts and cost $475.00 including oil change and filter. in my opinion this shouldn't happen after 21K miles. :232:

Chico

Offline dashesonly

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 01:09:10 PM »
My bike only has 26000 km on it and it is 2.5 years  old.  Because I didn't get the 20000 service done in a triumph approved garage they have refused to do it under warranty.

I was quoted 200 for parts and 160 - 200 labour and a 6 day lead time before parts would be in.

A pack of m5 bolts and gasket seal cost 7.49 and halfords isn't the cheapest place to by car parts!

Took a bit of time and some muscle but the fix has been done and the bike is back on the road.   

Offline rubberdown

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger xc
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 04:37:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by dashesonly [+]
My bike only has 26000 km on it and it is 2.5 years  old.  Because I didn't get the 20000 service done in a triumph approved garage they have refused to do it under warranty.

I was quoted €200 for parts and €160 - 200 labour and a 6 day lead time before parts would be in.

A pack of m5 bolts and gasket seal cost €7.49 and halfords isn't the cheapest place to by car parts!

Took a bit of time and some muscle but the fix has been done and the bike is back on the road.   
Good effort,  :062: That is what I did quicker and cheaper!  :152:

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 07:59:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
The pin on my 2011R, 21,000 miles broke three weeks ago. My dealer tried to get Triumph to cover the cost but was refused due to the age of the bike. It took two weeks to get the parts and cost $475.00 including oil change and filter. in my opinion this shouldn't happen after 21K miles. :232:

Chico

Definite weak point of the early(ier) Tiger 800.  If I have any sympathy with Triumph here it is that the bike is well out of warranty.  I wouldn't trust local fu*kwit of a dealer to do the job anyway.
Lost again

Offline Nelizzz

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Snot green
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 10:34:54 PM »
Hi, digging up an old one... There are a lot of topics covering the same, so I just took this one
It cost me a lot of effort to get the nut off, but finally I could get it done.
After removal of the clutch inner drum, the manual says:
"Slide the clutch outer drum assembly gently backwards and forwards to dislodge the inner bearing sleeve."

I tried that, but I couldn't move it

Then I followed Haynes: "Jiggle the clutch housing backwards and forwards and draw out the sleeve, using a magnet or a pair of pliers (...)"
That went better  :001: but still movement was only little and very difficult: I cannot get the sleeve out.
Any suggestions? On Youtube video's the drums seem more loose  :003:

Still don't know if it's the pin or the spring. Friction plates are still on spec after 177000kms though...
Thanks Nelizzz

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 06:35:00 AM »
Hit it (soft faced hammer) and jiggle, it can be a right PIA
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 02:26:29 AM »
I think your question was how to get the nut off---either a long arm on your socket wrench or a rattle gun should do it as long as you hold tight the clutch cage. A clutch tool is really the best way to hold that firm but you would probably get away with rear brakes realising you are going to load up the gearbox.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline ped

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 04:03:15 AM »
HI the best way i have found over many years of rebuilding engines is a impact gun, but you need to lock the clutch
basket. i have a home made tool to lock the basket with, but you can buy one of eBay here is the link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Flywheel-Clutch-Locking-Pulley-Holder-Tool/161434035773?hash=item259637e63d:g:2cMAAOSwDk5UJZE8

Recent Topics