Twisty 3

Views: 155
Posted by: T800XC
in: T800XC
IMG 2369

Views: 16
Posted by: malkey
in: malkey

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: £10 for a M5 screw! Eh! Mad.  (Read 1755 times)

Offline ThaiRider

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2015 XCx
Re: £10 for a M5 screw! Eh! Mad.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 01:34:40 PM »
Are other bike manufacturers any different?
The most important thing is to have a good relationship with the bike... You have to understand what she wants. I think of a motorcycle as a woman, I know that sounds silly, but it's true - Valentino Rossi

Offline Frosties

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 (ABS)
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 08:14:45 PM »
I was in a similar situation at the weekend. Had to place an order in the parts dept, then went to talk to the lads in the workshop who gave me 4 bolts for nought. Went back to parts and cancelled the order! Worth making friends with the fellas in the workshop!!

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 09:40:28 AM »
I use these guys for any nuts and bolts, postage is steep though, depending on what's bought.

http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/ScrewBolt_M.html

Online Turbo100

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 09:48:35 AM »
I think I saw these for sale on SquareDeals at Skelmersdale web page,  stainless steel, £2 something each +P&P
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was.

Offline Billb

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 12:04:18 PM »
Needed one bolt to refit my mudguard.  Triumph parts list £3.19 each plus £4.30 postage (for one bolt!).

E-bay, identical stainless steel bolts from a firm in Alloa, £1.30 for 5 including postage!

Guess where I bought them from?

Handling charge is one thing. Even although the other company had the same handling to do, but £4.30 for postage is just a rip-off.

Offline Andylaser

• Tiger Jedi
  • Heavy Metal
  • Bike: Black Roadie
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by NORTY [+]
Thats nuts.

No, its definitely a bolt.  :001: :001:

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 12:50:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Andylaser [+]
No, its definitely a bolt.  :001: :001:

No, it's probably a screw (over)  :008:

Yes, all manufacturers are the same, spares are always 2x their normal cost and automotive 2x again for many, especially small parts, various reasons, largely as above.

If the screws/ bolts/ nuts are not directly in the load path i.e. engine bolts, suspension bolts, or just for accessories, or cosmetic parts, etc then consider getting A2, or A4 stainless steel, if they are loaded up then best to stick to the OEM ones, nuts, including rear axle nuts can usually be SS and I prefer fitting nyloc nuts than split pin castellated nuts.

Google/ eBay is your friend as long as you get the description somewhere near, check out any local Engineer's Suppliers, but Screfix and even B&Q stock many sizes - DON'T BUY SCREWS FROM CHINA, usually Ok, but some very low quality ones about as well  :028: 

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 07:49:16 PM »
Here's another good eBay source : www.tekhardware.co.uk

Offline dorsetboy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger XRT
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 02:09:23 AM »
Chinese counterfeit bolts............

Well, a good while ago when I had more hair, I was on this job..........
We had this 4" water pipeline with standard dn100 flanges with plain 8.8 steel bolts. The lads were forever shutting down the system due to leaky flange gaskets. Eventually they came to me with a very new set of 16mm bolts which had stretched and failed....while they were fitting them!
A bit concerned I sourced the bolts to a half empty box in the materials store which had been delivered the year before. I took out a few and headed to the work shop and set one up in a vice.
I started with a torque wrench and worked my way up the scale until the bolt started to stretch.
I can't remember the exact figures but lets say they should have been good and tight at for 210nm and they stretched out at 150nm and just kept on going!
Obviously made of cheese counterfeits slipped into the market in 500 piece unmarked box's.
I've always wondered how long the lads had waited before they told me the bolts tightened for ever and never actually came up hard!
So...all bolts changed out for nice proper ones and no more pesky drippy leaks.

What a nice story with a happy ending.

Loose Lips Sink Ships

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by dorsetboy [+]
Chinese counterfeit bolts............

Well, a good while ago when I had more hair, I was on this job..........
We had this 4" water pipeline with standard dn100 flanges with plain 8.8 steel bolts. The lads were forever shutting down the system due to leaky flange gaskets. Eventually they came to me with a very new set of 16mm bolts which had stretched and failed....while they were fitting them!
A bit concerned I sourced the bolts to a half empty box in the materials store which had been delivered the year before. I took out a few and headed to the work shop and set one up in a vice.
I started with a torque wrench and worked my way up the scale until the bolt started to stretch.
I can't remember the exact figures but lets say they should have been good and tight at for 210nm and they stretched out at 150nm and just kept on going!
Obviously made of cheese counterfeits slipped into the market in 500 piece unmarked box's.
I've always wondered how long the lads had waited before they told me the bolts tightened for ever and never actually came up hard!
So...all bolts changed out for nice proper ones and no more pesky drippy leaks.

What a nice story with a happy ending.

That's why CE marking was brought in  :028:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch