Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TKC-70  (Read 5285 times)

Offline Burt

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
Re: TKC-70
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 07:48:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Charleston [+]
It's been a  week with no replies, so I ordered a set. I'll post if I have a problem.

Most of the reports I've seen have been on the GS.

Not with the TKC-70 but with the 21" front Metzeler Tourance.... A very sad affair.. Wobble at any speed below 100... Never again. Great grip but you can't take the hands off the bar. Just thought to pass this on... :151:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:40:41 AM by Burt »

Offline JAYMAC

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 06:08:10 AM »
Just about to change my set of TKC-70's after about 16,000km. Found them great on both road and occasional dirt/gravel. Great confidence in the wet and much less prone to tracking on cracked tarmac etc than the OEM Scorpion Trails. Reasonable amount of tread left on both, but front cupping started about 13,000km and the noise is now unbearable, hence the change. Thinking of going back to a more road oriented tyre - any thoughts on Battle Wings?

Offline Remy

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »
Fitted and balanced myself a tkc 70 in place of a ruined Scorpion trail 1 yesterday on my xc. Easy game.
On the road I didn't notice any noise or shimmy, just easier to turn. On gravel he is more stable and comfortable, despite inflated to the same pressure (2.4kg). But on light mud it's really night and day, no more permanent sliding, I can run a lot faster feeling safe.

Very happy with it, so far I recommend it.

Offline Yousif

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 10:23:02 AM »
Well I have had TKC-70s on my XC for around 5k miles and have just noticed wobbling at the 96-98mph mark- haven't had the b**ls to see what happens above that. It is very noticeable at the front end, tried with and without my top box on the back same wobble, otherwise unladen. Front pressure at 2.5. bar. Don't think i had taken it up to this speed before on these tyres until recently but had done so on Conti Trail attacks before with no issues. So I wont be putting TKC-70s on again. Trouble is they wear so well it will be ages before I change and I don't make a habit of tootling around at these speeds so will bide my time. Absolutely no issues below that speed and they grip well, wear well. Perhaps a bit less smooth at motorway speeds than road tyres, to be expected.

Offline JMc

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 01:51:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yousif [+]
Well I have had TKC-70s on my XC for around 5k miles and have just noticed wobbling at the 96-98mph mark- haven't had the b**ls to see what happens above that. It is very noticeable at the front end, tried with and without my top box on the back same wobble, otherwise unladen. Front pressure at 2.5. bar. Don't think i had taken it up to this speed before on these tyres until recently but had done so on Conti Trail attacks before with no issues. So I wont be putting TKC-70s on again. Trouble is they wear so well it will be ages before I change and I don't make a habit of tootling around at these speeds so will bide my time. Absolutely no issues below that speed and they grip well, wear well. Perhaps a bit less smooth at motorway speeds than road tyres, to be expected.

Obviously you are only using the tyres and those speeds on a track day so might be best to get yourself a new set of wheels fitted with some Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's for such occasions. On s serious note, you may find the TKC70 is not speed rated for the higher speeds anyway and therefore could de-laminate!!

Jmc

Offline Yousif

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 02:17:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMc [+]
Obviously you are only using the tyres and those speeds on a track day so might be best to get yourself a new set of wheels fitted with some Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's for such occasions. On s serious note, you may find the TKC70 is not speed rated for the higher speeds anyway and therefore could de-laminate!!

Jmc

Of course wouldn't do this on UK roads but they are V rated so technically to 149mph without delamination I would hope. To be fair on Triumph however they have not homologated these tyres which were not available when the 800XC came out, and to be fair on Conti they are designed to be compromise between road and off road use so fair dos if they don't like track speeds. But the OP asked if anyone had had wobble at speed on these tyres on the XC and I for one have.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 02:18:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMc [+]

Jmc

The 21" front TKC-70 is T rated. 180kph.

Offline Yousif

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 02:23:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
The 21" front TKC-70 is T rated. 180kph.

Just so, thanks for the correction,  its the rear that's V rated.

Offline PuddleJumper

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: TigerXCA800 2016
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 10:24:30 PM »
I have recently installed TKC 70 front only and Mitas E07 rear. This type of combination (TKC70 front) is very common amongst the adventure bike fraternity here in the South Island of NZ. There was a shortage of TKC70 21 here in NZ earlier this year. The real debate here in NZ is what you put on the rear. As we know there is nothing scarier than losing the front and nothing more grin inducing than braking out the back in gravel in a controlled power slide. I like the four-wheel drive tracks and stock route and the non-tar seal available in my backyard so my bike spends resonable time in the dirt.
As for wobble, absolutely nothing. Taken the tyre to its speed rating of 180km/hr. I was sceptical about the performance of the TKC70 with its open block tread pattern. As other threads are saying you can still rub your pegs if you feel the need! I am riding winter roads, the TK performed well in fresh snow over one of the passes recently, it holds very well in all condition on and off, I was very surprised their stability on gritted roads the open tread block clearly assists. The back tyre twitched a bit in the grit but that was possibly power related.
They will fill with sticky mud, as any other tyre does, so be mindful about your mudguard clearance if you are trying that sort of riding.
I have had heard of people riding with TKC70 on a cornering track day and the disbelieve of other riders when they try to beat the TK rider is very funny. You cant do that with that sort of tyre! :013:
Regrets, yes not binning the OEM tyres on day of receipt of new bike/s, one (Pirelli Scorp1 and Bridgestone BW) positive is at least having run the OEM tyre I know how much better the bike is with the TK70. I have also have had two sets of Heidi Scouts before the TK70, Mitas E07 combo, the Heidis were stable and hard wearing some people do Heide Scout rear and TK70 front. I think my current combination is better than Heidi front and rear. I only have travelled 4500 kms on the TK/Mitas combo so far yet managed to have put them through all conditions. So I,m a Happy Chappy.
Note hearing good things about the new TK80, for those wanting a less aggressive tyre more road but still want to do gravel from time to time.
 :418:

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 10:35:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by PuddleJumper [+]
Note hearing good things about the new TK80, for those wanting a less aggressive tyre more road but still want to do gravel from time to time.

I think you mean the Trail Attack 2 as the less agreessive road oriented tyre. The TKC80 is essentially a knobbly tyre for ADV bikes and is proabably one of if not the most off road oriented ADV bike tyres on the market.

Recent Topics