Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TKC-70  (Read 5284 times)

Offline PuddleJumper

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: TigerXCA800 2016
Re: TKC-70
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 10:53:29 PM »
Thanks KIWI, Oops everyone that was an own goal with my thread I mixed up TK70 and TK80, actually running TK80 front and Mitas E07 rear. If you read my thread with TK80, and yes the aggressive front knobbly 21" trye is an amazing performer both on and off road.  :430:

Offline Charleston

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: XCX
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 12:08:50 AM »
12000 miles now. Front is cupped and noisy but still performing well and has plenty of life. Rear could probably go another 1000 but I have to put on a new chain so I'll replace both tires at the same time. I have been very pleased with the TKC 70 under every condition and can't think of any reason to switch.

Offline Whoa Nelly!

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800 xc
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 05:05:20 PM »
I've been running TKC-70s for a couple of thousand miles - so no comment on longevity yet, but nothing but praise for the feel on everything from smooth fast twistys to scabby broken backroads with gravel & grass. No wobbles evident. I thought they might feel a bit knobbly on tarmac compared to the Anakee 3's they replaced, but seemingly not. They work for me!

Offline asinop

• Tiger Member
  • asinop
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRX
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 08:52:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
If the front is a cross ply that is quite common particularly when the tyre is cold. Its to do with the construction rather than the actual tyre.

Greetings. Just ordered a set of TKC70's for the front and rear for replace the Metzlers which gave me 10K miles of service. The tyre construction was one reason I opted for the radial 110/80 size instead of the cross(bias)-ply 100/90 size for the front of my XRx. I gave up a little off-road performance in terms of the slightly wider front tyre, but since I am only looking for a bit more lighter off-road action, I felt that it was a better choice in my case (and for the XR version). Anyone else have a comment on running the 110/80 over a 100/90 in the front?

See https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-things-are-bias-ply-and-radial-tires for a good discussion on construction.
asinop

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 09:33:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by asinop [+]
Anyone else have a comment on running the 110/80 over a 100/90 in the front?

I have replaced the OEM 100/90 tyres with 110/80 on both Tigers I have owned and would never ever go back to the 100/90. The change transforms the way the bike handles for the better on sealed roads and despite plenty of dirt road and gravel road type riding I have never found a negative impact in those situations.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 04:14:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
The change transforms the way the bike handles...
Whilst your comment is well taken and you obviously enjoy your choice, handling remains a somewhat nebulous term. Few, is any, are the ways in which to quantify handling.
Like a similar discussion elsewhere on this forum about different sized brake master cylinders improving braking, it all comes down to rider preference.
Change in braking can, though, be quantified by measured stopping distance -- handling, not so much.
Interesting, too, that Triumph see fit to still supply the latest Tiger800 models (the more road oriented) with 100/90-19 front tires. And all Tiger800 models with bias play front tires.
Makes one wonder Triumph's - engineers' & test riders' - reasoning? I've a hunch it has to do with the bike being an "all-rounder"..?
"I've a fine felt hat and a strong pair of brogues
and I've rosin in my pocket for my bow.
My fiddle strings are new and I've learned a tune or two
and I'm well prepared to ramble I must go."
Tommy Makem

Recent Topics

winded-staunch