IMG 2642

Views: 129
Posted by: Noel.D
in: Noel.D
My XRx

Views: 254
Posted by: aledrian
in: aledrian

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Don't buy an XRT!  (Read 868 times)

Offline typo

• Tiger Cub
Don't buy an XRT!
« on: March 20, 2017, 05:20:22 PM »
But it's not what you might think.

Having had a VFR1200 knocked out from under me & written off a while back, I had a test ride on an 800 & that was me sold. Having lurked a bit & read all the helpful advice & positive vibes here, I got a white XRT in July last year, lovely machine, plenty of poke & so much lighter than my last bike. But.....

Although I'm now retired & should, I thought, have plenty of free time, I actually don't. But worse than that, I've found I don't enjoy biking any more.  :003: Nothing to do with the bike, it's all me. Reflexes not what they were, struggle with the weight on slopes so I daren't try with a pillion & feel guilty leaving my OH at home when I do go out, lots of other, small things. Only managed some 1400 miles so far, so I've decided I can't really justify the bike.

Anyone wanna buy a near-mint XRT less than a year old? <SOB>

Online GlynnJ

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: '13 T800R
Re: Don't buy an XRT!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
Sorry to see your post.

Have you considered doing an IAM or ROSPA advanced course? I am not suggesting you are anything other than a good rider, but maybe the course would help you get your biking mojo back?

What about doing something like the Welsh National Rally? http://www.clivemcc.co.uk/ It's bloody great!

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 06:09:58 PM »
If riding has been a big part of your life and essentially you have list your passion or confidence for riding due to an accident, then Id certainly agree with GlynnJ in considering doing something before jacking it all in. Whether that something is IAM or RoSPA, mebbe a half days paid training. Riding with some fruends at a less frenetic pace, or oerhaps new people to ride with. See if your change of heart is permanent in which case id agree, sell the bike, or if your confidence needs rebuilding. You cant ride half hearted, either you are 'in the zone' and dialled in to ride or you shouldnt be on two wheels....

If you cant find a local professional trainer id suggest someone like i2i.

However its your call, your life. Do what is right for you.

Offline JacquesV

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 06:23:59 PM »
Motorcycling is all about confidence and if that has gone it is not a nice place to be.

However once you can get the confidence back the pleasure is immeasurable as you would know.

My wife and I go for a motorcycle proficiency course once every year or two especially if we do not ride much for the year.

That builds confidence and the will to ride again when you've become unsure and confidence has dropped to an all time low :-)

Never give up !
Regards,

Jacques Vermeulen
Tiger 800 ABS 2012

Offline Jamstealer

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
Definitely worth doing some training. IAM used to do a " back to biking" course ; not full advanced riding; but a day  with an instructor to give you confidence. Don't know if it is still available.

Or go to one of the reputable private advanced trainers ( they are usually ex police bikers), explain your circumstance, most will do a good day ( tailored to your needs ) to get you going again.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »
The OPs situation is exactly the reason why manufacturers are frantically trying to produce new and innovative 300-500cc models with ADV styling. The aging demographic of motorcyclists means that there will soon be noticeably fewer buyers for 1200cc monsters as age and deteriotrating physical condition catches up with us. My suggestion to the OP is that if you still enjoy riding a bike even sparodically consider something smaller and lighter that will provide the fun at slower speeds, with less effort and a smaller financial outlay.

Online GearHd6

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 98 T595
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:43:35 PM »
My dad is a little guy that's getting up in age. Last year he parked the R1200RT for a new Ducati Scrambler and he absolutely loves it! It brought his confidence back and he's riding the wheels off it. He's actually venturing off road a little which he'd never do with that Beemer.
2015 Tiger XCx
1998 Daytona T595

Offline Jamstealer

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 10:32:09 PM »
Here is a possible IAM 2 hour assessment/ training session;

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/courses/ride-check-plus

Or this from Totaladvanced;

http://totaladvanced.co.uk/courses/

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.

Online GlynnJ

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: '13 T800R
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 10:36:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jamstealer [+]
Here is a possible IAM 2 hour assessment/ training session;

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/courses/ride-check-plus

Or this from Totaladvanced;

http://totaladvanced.co.uk/courses/

In Scotland we have something called Ride Scot Free which is a free riding assessment taking about an hour. It is aimed at giving a taster of what might follow in a full Advanced Rider Course but there is no obligation to carry on. I don't know if this happens in Englandshire.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 10:44:54 PM »
Theres various initiatives such as bikesafe....
But I think that typo will benefit more from someone / some organisation that can spend time with him and work out what is the best way for typo. Bikesfae is very much about go do some advanced rider training with RoSPA or IAM. A professional trainer may want to push ERS. The more i think about it the more i think typo will benefit from a skills academy such as i2i. Spend a day having fun on a bike in company of other riders led by oeople trying to build or enhance a riders confidence in both the rider and the machine.

Recent Topics