Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another starter post!  (Read 3841 times)

Offline skydso

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XC, TL1000S
Another starter post!
« on: March 20, 2017, 08:24:31 PM »
Hi all, I've only just bought my Tiger and lately joined this forum and found it's full of useful information! In fact, it's through the info found here that I arrived to my problem!
Anyway, after following all the posts and threads regarding the slow cranking problem on the earlier Tiger 800, I deducted that the only thing left was the starter motor itself, being the troublesome -4450 model.
I searched on here and all I found was that one has to remove the tank, airbox and injectors to be able to arrive to the starter.
Not necessarily, no.
Just thought I'd let you all know, in case nobody tried it, that the starter can actually be pulled out without removing anything above it!
First up, I unbolted the battery and then the positive supply to the starter ... Then all I removed was the rear shock reservoir, unclipped it from the jubilee clips and pushed it to the side. Like that I could fit my hands as far as on top of the starter. Used a 1/4" drive U/J with a T-handle to undo the 2x 8mm hex heads right behind the starter.
It takes A LOT of fiddling to find the right position of the bolts blindly but eventually you manage to hit it. The left bolt (front if you're sitting on the bike) is fairly easy. The rear is a bit more of a bugger because there's some grounded clip holding a block connector in place due to which the socket won't sit into the 8mm head! To pull out the block connector you have to press the little tab with a long flat screwdriver and pull it up with a long nose pliers.
Once removed you can easily get the socket over the other 8mm hex head (the one at the rear of the two mounting points if you're sitting on the bike).
Once those two bolts are undone, you just push the starter out of its seating (comes out with a pop due to the oil seal fit), rotate it by some 60 clockwise ( backwards if you're sitting on the bike) and it will just come out freely.
I opened it and it's a real mess in there!  :161:
Starter and brushed don't look like they're in a good condition! I will take it to a guy here who services starter motors first thing tomorrow morning and see what he has to say.
I will keep you updated about it ...

Offline Burt

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
Re: Another starter post!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:02:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by skydso [+]
I opened it and it's a real mess in there!  :161:
Starter and brushed don't look like they're in a good condition! I will take it to a guy here who services starter motors first thing tomorrow morning and see what he has to say.
I will keep you updated about it ...

I wouldn't put that rotor back in. Is completely worn out. Even if you put new brushes it won't last very long.. You can see the amount of material missing in the picture...

Offline skydso

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 06:15:33 AM »
At only 27,000 KMS! :-( in fact I ordered the -4452 and it's on the way. I'll just refurbish this one and leave it as a spare in case the other one f*cks up again!

Offline Burt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 08:24:40 AM »
At only 27,000 KMS! :-( in fact I ordered the -4452 and it's on the way. I'll just refurbish this one and leave it as a spare in case the other one f*cks up again!

Mileage is irrelevant for a starter motor. That rotor looks like it has been working very hard or in dirty water. You are missing a lot of material... Wrong brushes maybe?....

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:50:50 AM »
That commutator is wrecked for all intents and purposes

I've not looked at the cost of replacement parts other than the brushes and holders but it may be worth pricing up

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline skydso

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:00:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Burt [+]
Mileage is irrelevant for a starter motor. That rotor looks like it has been working very hard or in dirty water. You are missing a lot of material... Wrong brushes maybe?....
No idea! Bought the bike used and didn't have a glitch when I bought it! First it started giving me starting problems as soon as I got it, butni replaced the battery and all went fine till about 2-3 months later, some 1500kms. Then it started fouling on me again and slowly losing cranking speed. I started pointing towards the battery, but since the battery was new, I couldn't blame it. Cleaned all electrical points like grounds and lives and also the infamous stepper motor, but to no avail. Then I pulled the starter out and found this mess!!!    
*Originally Posted by Burt [+]

Offline skydso

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 02:42:39 PM »
A quick spin on the lathe and easy does it, nice, straight and shiny!  :152:
Just gotta wait for the parts to get here now and once assembled I'll test it and keep it as a spare!

Offline skydso

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 07:07:06 AM »
39.13 for the parts ... not bad compared to 800 for a new starter!

Offline Burt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 11:43:33 AM »
39.13 for the parts ... not bad compared to 800 for a new starter!

in fact I ordered the -4452 and it's on the way

How much was it for the new 4452?

Offline skydso

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 03:30:23 PM »
Got it used ... 150

Recent Topics

winded-staunch