IMG 20151117 142902359

Views: 176
Posted by: Flyfifer
in: Flyfifer
18 The WABDR

Views: 138
Posted by: CAPT Dan
in: Danny

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another starter post!  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Burt

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
Re: Another starter post!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 03:45:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by skydso [+]
Got it used ... 150

That's a bargain... You did pretty well.. 190 for two working starter motor...

Offline JMc

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 04:49:13 PM »
I've been pulling DC motors apart for years (from W to KW's, the biggest being a pair of 287KW bad boys) and as the OP has done, most are easily sorted by a skim of the com on a lathe and a cutback of the segments to stop tracking. A set of new brushes and away you go.  We used to use "com sticks" to clean up coms either on a running motor that you could get to or on a lathe to spin the com out of the motor.

Don't give up on one unless the windings are open circuit. Make sure the permanent magnets are still secure. and replace bearings if possible.

jmc

Offline skydso

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XC, TL1000S
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 09:22:32 AM »
Cheers!!! Windings seem to be fine. I'll have a look at the bearings if there are any, but I doubt I noticed any! There is a bush at the end so I'll spray in some PTFE dry lube, Molykote, same stuff we use on Airbus engine blades ... should be good enough I guess?! :-P

Offline skydso

• Tiger Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 10:45:28 PM »
Just thought I'd give a quick update ...
Parts for the starter arrived but the following day, before I had time to service the starter I had in hand, the upgraded -4452 starter arrived in the post!
Needless to say I just jumped on it and fitted it! I was quick to put it in place but I just couldn't gather enough strength in my fingers to push into its recess.
I took a few photos ...
Once in position, I used a sliding hammer to be able to push it into its seating:

I used a retrieving magnet to be able to position the starter mounting bolts being the starter where I couldn't see them ...

But the bolt just wouldn't start screwing into the thread ... So I got my phone in position since I ain't got a borescope and took a photo of what I couldn't see:

Aha! Holes not aligning, no bloody wonder!!! So I got a flat screwdriver and prayed it back out a few mm ...

Now the trick was to be able to reach the head of the bolt, turn it and tighten it! Good luck Dave!
So out comes the UJ and an unlimited number of different sized extensions and 8mm sockets!
Just make sure you're aligned properly and the UJ is well greased otherwise you wouldn't manage to turn the bolt!

There, easy does it.
Now the rear bolt, the one with the little bracket on it ... this is going to be a nightma ... oh hang on, where's the magnet again?

The magnet held the bracket in place and since there's a little tab on the bracket, the bracket wouldn't turn when I tightened the rear bolt!

You definitely need to shift this hose from here:

To here ...

... using the starter's lead attachment as a hook to hold the hose otherwise you wouldn't manage to get to the rear bolt to tighten it!

Then just clip the block connector to the little clip behind the starter, attach the power lead to the starter tab, mount the rear shock reservoir back in place by tightening the two jubilee clips on it to the frame tabs again and Bob's your uncle! Done!

I will now service the old starter at the first chance I get so I'll keep it as a fresh spare in the garage just in case another ordeal like this pops up!!!

Offline CSAW

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2012 Blk XC ABS
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 07:08:16 PM »
I thank you for this post.  Mine is acting up and I ordered the parts today.  I was dreading taking the whole thing apart.  :037:

Offline skydso

• Tiger Member
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 08:25:07 PM »
 :152:

Offline CSAW

• Tiger Master
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 02:31:14 PM »
Well I got my parts and took my starter out and took it apart.  Absolutely nothing wrong with it.  Brushes still 90-95% or so, commutator excellent.  Had armature checked.  All was well so I cleaned the com and put it back together.  Only been for one test ride and so far so good.  Only had problem occasionally and only when hot.

I can confirm removing starter without taking bike apart is a 15 minute job.  Thanks again.

A little bit on starters.  My bike is a 2012.  The original starter was replaced under warranty at 22,000 miles in early 2013.  I was a little surprised to find the replacement starter was the newer one (4452).  Bike now has 48,000 miles and starter looked almost new inside.  So evidently there is something different about the updated starter.

Still not sure what the problem was/is, I guess time will tell.

Offline skydso

• Tiger Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 02:39:33 PM »
Has the problem occurred again though after having taken the starter apart?

Offline CSAW

• Tiger Master
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 05:41:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by skydso [+]
Has the problem occurred again though after having taken the starter apart?

No, only ridden it once since.  Started fine when I got home.  Then started again 5-10-15 minutes later.  Started fine every time.  However it didn't do it every time before.  Hoping maybe a sticky brush, bad starter ground where it bolts to block or bad connection on starter.  However didn't see anything that would make me think this.

If it does it again I will start looking further.  I didn't really check anything but the battery before going for the starter.  All the starter posts here had me worried about the starter before I even started. :001:

Offline skydso

• Tiger Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 07:46:20 AM »
Just check all the connections then ... clean and re-assemble and cover in silicon grease/Vaseline:
the positive coming from the solenoid onto the starter (top bolt on starter), both mounting bolts of the starter (grounds), both battery terminals and both solenoid terminals (solenoid is placed under the battery!)
Once everything is clean you know you don't have electricity problems! ;)

Recent Topics