Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: front end bounce  (Read 77986 times)

Offline dhula

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Weeeeeeeeeee
Re: front end bounce
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 09:37:36 AM »
Just figured out that the bike is s'posed to do this and I've been complaining for no reason.
It is a tigger after all, and bouncing is what tiggers do best

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 12:00:35 PM by dhula »

Offline raylo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Wh T800 ABS road
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 11:12:44 AM »
My bike does this, too 40-55 mph.  Sometimes I find myself looking down at what seems to be a smooth road to try to see if there are any ripples.  I wonder if really getting the balance dialed in might help.  Has anyone tried this stuff?  It claims to adjust balance dynamically on the fly so it might help mitigate our little issue.  Seems simple enough and no real downside.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm

Offline DirtFreak

• Tiger Master
  • Motorcycle Addict
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 04:42:07 PM »
I installed dyna beads. It almost completely killed the bounce. It was a very noticeable improvement. Also, I had some loose spokes.
The guy with problems when you let go of the bars, check the steering head nut for proper torq.
Tarmac ruins perfectly good roads.

Offline raylo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Wh T800 ABS road
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 01:11:36 AM »
Thanks for the feedback on the DynaBeads.  I think I'll give 'em a try one of these days.

*Originally Posted by DirtFreak [+]
I installed dyna beads. It almost completely killed the bounce. It was a very noticeable improvement. Also, I had some loose spokes.

Offline MOTIGER

• Tiger Member
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 08:01:52 PM »
I would check the wheel balance first.
Take off the wheel and put the axle on jack stands or use a balancer if you have one.
The heavy side of wheel will drop to bottom. Just add weight at top of wheel then turn wheel it should stop at different spots when balanced.
I used the Re-Useable spoke weights they come in four sizes and you can take them off and move them to get to get the wheel balanced.

Offline plonkomaticus

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 09:16:03 AM »
I would also check 3 more things

* Check that the wheel is actually round, and not slightly oval - that causes nasty vibration/hopping. Any problem would be easily visible spinning on the balancing machine.

* Check that the tyre has no visible deformation by spinning on the balancing machine.
A few years back I had a Conti SportAttack with a manufacturing defect which caused hopping - it was replaced immediately under warranty.

* For elimination purposes I would temporarily mount any other tyre that fits - can also worn one. If the problem disappears, then that points to the tyre as the problem.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

Offline dhula

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 03:05:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by MOTIGER
I would check the wheel balance first.
Yep done this. A local bike shop has had both wheels in the shop for balancing (they added about 5g to the front, not much difference) and nothing to the back. The dealer said they checked and I've checked both off the bike and while the wheels where on the bike without brake calipers fitted.

Offline dhula

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 03:20:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by plonkomaticus
* Check that the wheel is actually round, and not slightly oval - that causes nasty vibration/hopping. Any problem would be easily visible spinning on the balancing machine.
Initially checked by local bike shop when they balanced it, I've checked at home while wheels where on and off the bike and the selling dealer tells me they have also checked. Nothing seen or found and both wheels are what they should be.
* Check that the tyre has no visible deformation by spinning on the balancing machine.
Checked as best can be for external damage/deformation by local bike shop, me at home and selling dealer. Nothing found external however can't rule it out I guess as the tyres have not been dismounted to check the inside but I don't recon there is anything there as I reckon the other checks would have found this. 
* For elimination purposes I would temporarily mount any other tyre that fits - can also worn one. If the problem disappears, then that points to the tyre as the problem.
The selling dealer had my bike for a week to do this kind of stuff and reported back that they found nothing abnormal and that it may be a normal thing on the tiger roadie as the demo bikes at the shop do it.
Other possible reasons I was given were:
*Waves in the road surface
*Suspension is designed for off road use so might need more movement/higher speed/bigger bumps to work properly
*The bearings/seals used in the forks are stickier than normal so might take a bit more to get moving
*My weight (I'm just shy of 110kg before gear)

The shop has been good and has got the state rep to give me a call to organise a time to ride/test/etc my bike back to back with the demo's at their store and hear my side of the story. I think this is a good outcome so far and cudos to the shop and Triumph for doing so I reckon.

Offline plonkomaticus

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by dhula [+]
....  The selling dealer had my bike for a week to do this kind of stuff and reported back that they found nothing abnormal and that it may be a normal thing on the tiger roadie as the demo bikes at the shop do it.
Other possible reasons I was given were:

*The bearings/seals used in the forks are stickier than normal so might take a bit more to get moving

Your bike is almost new, the demo bikes are almost new.

The Tiger's forks are a bit harsh from new but loosen up nicely over the next 1-2000km - this is all perfectly normal.

There is surely no way that several bikes from the same shop would all have a problem/defect.

Conclusion: I think you can rest easy... just ride and run it in
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

Offline dhula

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 09:56:01 AM »
Your bike is almost new, the demo bikes are almost new.
The Tiger's forks are a bit harsh from new but loosen up nicely over the next 1-2000km - this is all perfectly normal.
I respectfully disagree with you.
My bike has almost 2000kms on it now and has been given what I would call a relatively hard time for a street bike with the suspension being worked pretty hard thru almost 100% of it's travel. I firmly do not believe it is normal and if it is then in my humble opinion Triumph has got it way wrong (flame suit on, but I do feel as if there is something big time wrong on my bike).
Another random rider who was traveling behind me has commented that it looks to be bouncing along the road a bit so it's not just me I reckon.
There is surely no way that several bikes from the same shop would all have a problem/defect.
But why not, things can be put together in the same way on the same line by the same person and have the same fault. That is why they have recalls or why a certain defect effects all things (bikes, cars, TV's etc). Not saying that this is the case with my bike or the shops demos but there is no reason that it can't happen
Conclusion: I think you can rest easy... just ride and run it in
I am trying so hard to do this but the more I ride the more it's on my mind I think and it's bugging the hell out of me. Every time it occurs it's kinda like "here we go again, ride thru it, smile, think happy thoughts".
I'm currently pricing up my options if worst comes to worst.

For me this is the one and only thing that puts me off keeping the bike, the rest of it is ace
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:57:37 AM by dhula »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch