Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Noise from front brake  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Doggy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Noise from front brake
« on: July 06, 2017, 03:38:49 PM »
Hi Guys and Gals

At the weekend my Roadie started making a honking type noise from the n/s front brake.

It only happens just as I am pulling up and almost stopped.

Bike is a 2013 with ultra low mileage, I am the second (and recent) owner.

I did find a thread from 2016 on the forum regarding this but no definitive answer to the issue.

Any updates or advice please.

Thanks

Doggy
Too old to die young!

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: Noise from front brake
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 10:51:44 PM »
i would start with the basics. I would clean the rotors with a brake cleaning solution and cleaning pad like the scotch brite green grade. Then road test and see if you still have the problem. Next, I would move to clean the pads with the same solution and cleaning pad. If no success there then MuddySump has an excellent video on thorough brake cleaning. My 2011 roadie has very quiet brakes but I do follow MuddySumps cleaning advice. Good luck.

Offline Terry Ryan

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 12:05:52 AM »
I'd suggest checking the rotor for warping, my 2015 XRx warped the r/h front rotor for no apparent reason & had similar symptoms, checked with a dial gauge & found 60 thou run out

Offline Doggy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 10:08:32 AM »
Thanks Guys

Rotor cleaning seems to have done the trick!

Many thanks

Ride safe

Doggy
Too old to die young!

Offline NORTY

• Tiger Master
  • RiderCoach
  • Bike: 2012 800XC
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 05:10:02 AM »
If it happens again, you might try greasing the back sides of the pads. This seems to quell vibrations... :169:
MSF RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!) :)

Offline Rustyblack

• Tiger Member
  • Old but not too bold.
  • Bike: Tiger XRx 800
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 06:17:12 PM »
Mine has done this from new, rotors are clean and straight, pads are clean. 8000 miles on the clock. Can only put it down to the pads as fitted.  Does anyone have this on the 'new' Tiger 800 with the Brembo calipers? or is it just the Nissin s that do it? :465:
Always consider that your alter ego may be coming the other way on the road you are on. 💥💀

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 10:24:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rustyblack [+]
Mine has done this from new, rotors are clean and straight, pads are clean. 8000 miles on the clock. Can only put it down to the pads as fitted.  Does anyone have this on the 'new' Tiger 800 with the Brembo calipers? or is it just the Nissin s that do it? :465:
It is not normal for Nissin brakes to make a honking noise. I would suggest going through Muddy Sump's brake service. In 50k miles i have never had a honking noise. I'm guessing that for whatever reason the calipers are not closing properly and a good clean, lube and reassembly may fix it. Also look for strange pad wear. Good luck.

Recent Topics