Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New bike veers right when hands off bars - how can this be so?  (Read 4197 times)

Online Turbo100

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
Re: New bike veers right when hands off bars - how can this be so?
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 12:25:17 AM »
Strangely enough, on the motorway at weekend I let go of the bars and it seemed to pull to the right, just thought it was the HGV ruts I was feeling, didn't think anymore about it, will have to try it some more at weekend.
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was !!

Online kokkios

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 06:24:51 AM »
My XRT does exactly the same thing since day one. Two different mechanics couldnt sort it. I just ride with both hands on the handlebars

Online kokkios

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 06:30:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by ENGLISHBANDIT [+]
I have just checked my bike and looked at some that are for sale and forks are sticking up out of the yokes by about 5mm (2013 model)  so someone could have got it wrong as not so easy to spot if they are not flush looks like the 2017 only sits up 3mm or so from what I can see. But bottom line it should not do it.

could you please explain what i should measure in plain english for us the mechanically challenged people. maybe throw a picture also please?

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: T800 FZ1N CBR929
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 07:52:16 AM »
Hi you  measure the top of each fork that sticks out of the top yoke they both should be the same depending on what model you have  mine is the tiger 800 2013 and that should be 4mm i think . you book will tell you what yours should be. but to be honest as long as both are same you will be fine,but they have to be the same. if you are doing it at home your self and do not have a front stand that gos in the center of the bottom yoke so you can pick the hole front off the floor. sometimes it helps to tie some rope/strap around the top yoke up to your garage rafter  and pull it tight so the front can not drop, as if the front drops a bit it can be a bitch trying to lift the bike 2mm and do up the yoke. so really helps to have no weight on the front end. but its only a 5 min job once you have the bike supported right. a lot of shorter riders drop the forks down 5 to 10mm as it like putting a jack up kit on but in reverse. so you get sharper streeing and easy'er steering  without having to jack the back up you just drop the front. on my fz1n i jacket the back up by 35mm and it transforms the bikes steering (do it to all my fast up right bikes, not the tiger) my wife is short so we dropped the fork 8mm in her fz8 so the steering is sharp and easy at slow speeds. anyway hope this helps some of you, really is an easy job to do if your forks are out.
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 08:05:45 AM »
it will not let me add a photo it tells me its to big ? i can whats app it if needed

Offline NEPAChuy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 08:20:26 AM »
My Tiger had a problem veering to the right when my hands were off the bars until I swapped to a (much lighter) slip-on aftermarket exhaust. I rode thousands of miles using the slip-on exhaust and didn't have a problem with my bike veering right. Just two weeks ago, I swapped back to my stock exhaust (to relive the standard sound) and the rightward veer is back.

From my experience here, I suspect the rightward veer is due to torque from the heavy exhaust high and on the right side of the bike.

Offline Mav

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 08:31:51 AM »
Just checked my forks, they are both set to exactly the same height.
The exhaust sounds plausible; it is a great heavy weight on that side of the bike.
I will still get them to look into it on the 500 mile service.

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 08:41:06 AM »
could be an option, but i am 99% its not. the first thing i did when i bought my bike was take my hands of the bars. i do it on every bike i buy to make sure the is not a problem with the front end, as about 10 years ago i bought a z1000 in mint condition but had a problem with left bends found out my forks were bent by about 2mm, so on every bike i buy hands off at 40 to 50 mph and at about 20 slow speed mine has the OEM exhaust on and gos 100% straight . i have bought about 40 bikes over the last 10 years and about 30 cbr 929 ( i strip them) and only one bike has gone left on me and that was down to the forks. No bike should go left or right when hands are taken off the bars or it would effect the handling bikes are balanced today or the handling would be piss poor. and dangerous.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 08:43:50 AM »
Discounting any setup issues discussed above,  there are other subtle things that can make a bike go one way or another without any bar input. I don't buy the exhaust theory at all.
It wants to go in a straight line but that line doesn't always follow the road lane. The road camber changes the line, as does your body input. We're quite good as humans when it comes to tiny body adjustments so that we head for where we're looking.
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 09:33:48 AM »
I am pretty sure 90% of us know the difference between road camber and a bike that wants to pull off to the left or right. it's not hard to tell the difference if you know what you are doing and know how to ride( been riding from 1982). yes camber will always take a bike off 99% of the time to the left in the uk as that's how the roads are made. but any good rider can just move his body with there hands off the bars and adjust the line, its not hard. but with a fault or something just out of line a tad you have to sort of fight it as it keeps wanting to go off line, and if it always go's off line in the same direction something is out of line. its not the exhaust 99.9% on that. the cbr 929 has a grate big bloody thing and that go's 100% straight with hands off bike and so has every other bike i have ridden.i do not think someone would be so stupid as to let there hands off the bars on a crap road going 15 mph and then think there bike has a problem without doing it half a dozen times. easy way to tell get up to 40 mph on a straight road (does not have to be dead straight) and if it still does it something is out. it will be a simple fix. I still would say forks are out in the yokes or that would be my first check. if they were not new bikes i would also say forks could be bent, but that would not be my first choice. remember the bike come over to the UK in a crate and still has some putting together when it get to main dealers, sometimes the front end is not on the bike or its fitted lose. as some of the others have said there forks are out and some are set at the wrong  height, now that was not Triumph sent them out that way, it just would not happen. its more like the lad in the shop doing it by eye or had a heavy night, the night before . i am in the trade and have seen bikes put together. i would take a bit more care myself. i have seen people riding bikes that are not fit for the road and when i have pointed this out they did not even know there was a problem and trust me some of it is a joke.i have know riders you take take the front wheel off and they would not spot the problem. and they are riding 180mph bikes .Anyway it can only be 2 or 3 things that are making the bike go off line. hope this is the fix if not at least you can move on to the next fix.

Recent Topics