Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: tyres size . will 110/80/19 be ok for the front.  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Thazza66

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
Re: tyres size . will 110/80/19 be ok for the front.
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 07:23:48 AM »
A few questions from a Tiger newby. I've just bought a 2017 XRX which are in need of a tyre change. Could someone clarify comments made previously regarding 110/80 being officially recommended as an alternative. The Triumph chart https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/services/tyre-selector says that on the Tiger 800 (2011 on) they can be used as an alternative but for the XRX it does not specify this, instead only offering the standard 100/90. I don't doubt that people are successfully using the 110/80s but in terms of insurance are you actually covered? Is there any difference between a tiger 800 and a tiger 800 xrx rim? And finally why do they make such a point of highlighting "Tyres recommended and approved for use with Expedition Aluminium Luggage System"? Cheers guys.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 07:34:58 AM »
If you look on the Michelin or Metzeler sites, they both recommend 110/80 for the XRx
That should cover off any insurance concerns

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 04:47:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Thazza66 [+]
...regarding 110/80 being officially recommended as an alternative. The Triumph chart...says that on the Tiger 800 (2011 on) they can be used as an alternative but for the XRX it does not specify this, instead only offering the standard 100/90.
Is there any difference between a tiger 800 and a tiger 800 xrx rim?
I believe 100/90 is the standard and is fitted on new Tiger800s (w/19" F.) by Triumph -- and, 110/80 is an alternative.
Wheels are the same -- there is a diff. part # from early to late but probably due to color change?

...in terms of insurance are you actually covered?
Don't know about insurance (especially in England) -- but, I guess lawyers/ins. cos./adjusters/etc. can argue over anything (especially if there's a lot of money at stake).

And finally why do they make such a point of highlighting "Tyres recommended and approved for use with Expedition Aluminium Luggage System"?
Don't know...  :187:

*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
If you look on the Michelin or Metzeler sites, they both recommend 110/80 for the XRx
That should cover off any insurance concerns
I doubt if any tire manufacturer should be taken as the final word on appropriate fitment? Especially, over the word of the motorcycle manufacturer..?
It works both ways: I once owned a big/powerful road-burner of a m/c that just 'ate' tires and when I contacted reps. from the tire cos. they said: "The m/c manufacturer doesn't make the tires but leaves it to us to supply them. We don't make tires in those sizes that will endure the forces applied by the design of that bike." (or, words to that effect...)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:52:14 PM by AvgBear »
"I've a fine felt hat and a strong pair of brogues
and I've rosin in my pocket for my bow.
My fiddle strings are new and I've learned a tune or two
and I'm well prepared to ramble I must go."
Tommy Makem

Offline PeterR

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xrx
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2019, 11:36:50 PM »
Just an update this running thread: Continental's website specifies 110/80-19s TCK70s for a Roadie front.

I've run TCK70s for the last 6000 miles (including a trip to/fro Albania). I have been thrilled with the longevity, the wet weather performance and the much improved sense of security on loose stuff.

I previously ran with Anakee IIIs (which were a big step up from the originals - especially in wet) and had saved an only fractionally-worn pair to put back on when my 'Albania special' TCK70s wore out. Not now though, I'll be fitting shiny new TCK70s (including the wider 110/80 front) when they hit around 7000 miles and before I head off for my next trip in September.

Anyone like a lightly worn pair of Anakee IIIs?
Tiger 800Xrx (current), BSA Ariel 3(!), Tiger 800XC, Tiger 1050, Tiger 955. Interspersed with 2x Aprillia Pegasos, 2x Yam XT660s, Triumph Speed4, Triumph Thunderbird Sport

Recent Topics

winded-staunch