Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The planning for NC500  (Read 3536 times)

Offline deanoreynolds

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Daytona 675R
The planning for NC500
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »
Please re-locate if in the wrong forum section.

For those who have done the above NC500.
Im a Brighton boy so looking to do it from South coast, all the way up to the North.

The bike - Tiger 800, first adventure bike.
First ever road trip/tour via bike.

So, from experienced veterans who can help a 27yo like me whose never done something like this.

What advice and planning tips would you give to someone like me?

Im keen to go ASAP ideally September, my buddy however is wanting to go April next year due to potential climates!  :492:

Please discuss and advise!
Is the route easy to stay on, or am I likely to drift off somewhere away from the NC500 starting in Inverness?

Thanks as always.

Offline Mar.600

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800xca
Re: The planning for NC500
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 12:55:50 PM »
First of all  if not camping.  Book B&Bs as soon as possible it's went nuts up here for accommodation  on the nc500. Plan the route round your booking etc

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 01:10:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by deanoreynolds [+]
So, from experienced veterans who can help a 27yo like me whose never done something like this.

What advice and planning tips would you give to someone like me?

Never been to the UK let alone ridden the NC500 so I will let others do that part.
General advice. Chill, go with the flow, don't take anything too seriously, whatever happens happens so just smile and deal with it. Don't get into disagreements with your riding buddies and if one happens sort it quickly and get on with life.

Offline ghostbreeder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 01:28:38 PM »
I did it a couple of years back.   Make sure you know where your next fuel stop is and what the opening hours are.   Take at least two pairs of gloves and make sure that your waterproofs are to hand.    Depending on when you go, you might need some midge repellant.  Avon Skin so soft works well.  You'll smell weird but then every other biker I met up there was using it as well.   If you are camping, try and find somewhere near to a pub.   Not just for ease, I found the standard of pub grub really good.    You'll be going through Applecross and over the pass.   Book wherever you are staying and make sure you eat at the inn.  There's a 24 hour self service fuel pump there as well.  It only takes plastic.   

Pretty much every road you ride is single track, even the "A" roads.    They are great fun.  My personal favourite was the road from Lochinver up to Clachtoll.   I went back and did it again but it is quite easy to miss.

It's worth following the random brown signs that you pass.   You'll get to some of the lesser known attractions and many of them are spectacular.  I think allow for far more time from point to point than you expect, I ended up stopping loads of times just to take in the sites.    I think that there is some Tiger law that you need to get a photo of your bike in front of Eilean Donan castle, it's worthit though if the light is right.

Have a great time, it's fantastic roads and keep an eye out for the wildlife.   I saw whales, dolphins, sea otters and pine martens.  I had an eagle flying along side me and there's loads of ginger cows.

Offline ghostbreeder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 01:42:37 PM »
And...
You don't need half the things you pack.  Layers of clothes are useful.   The bridge to Skye was not impressive at all.   Carry water and some energy bars or mars bars in case you get stuck somewhere.   Top up your spare fuses and check that you have decent tools and a method of charging your phone.   Some duck tape wrapped around a pencil can be used to fix a suprising amount of things.   If camping, you really don't need a mallet but you do need a decent sleeping bag.  Pack whatever you do pack in plastic bags or bin bags, even if your panniers or rucksack are waterproof you will still appreciate it in the long run.

Offline glenn389

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 02:03:07 PM »
I would suggest going anticlockwise. The eastern side is relatively flat, and once you are past Bettyhill the scenery starts to build in the distance. That's assuming the weather is kind.

Offline johnnyboy101

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 02:38:55 PM »
All above is good advice. You will get wet so plan for it. Don't do too many miles, once you are past inverness 100 miles is a long way on those roads you don't want to be riding tired. Applecross is stunning, i went coast road to apple cross Inn then over the pass (a couple of times).Did get close to running out of fuel so top up when you get the chance
Oh good bit of kit for me was the padded shorts from adventure bike shop moto skivies. I did it in June no midges and light at night till gone 11 o'clock
I would do it again great route.
Enjoy

Offline Flyfifer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 03:35:12 PM »
 :064:
Learn quickly that passing places are not just to let on-coming traffic past.
Use your mirrors constantly and let the Pick-up that got on your tail past.
 You won't be the fastest thing on the road.
Folk that live in the North are getting brassed off at Towrists preventing them making progress to go about their daily lives.
You will want to dawdle and stop.

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 03:37:03 PM »
Someone mentioned single track roads of which there are many but on a bike they're no real hassle. Lots of passing place- if on the left(your side) you stop unless flashed to continue. Most cars will stop in a PP before you get to them, BUT not all.

On the Tiger, range approx 180 / 190 miles on these type of roads, petrol should not really be a problem, don't let it get below 50mls reserve.

May / June is a good time, outwith the main hols and some great weather early on. Accommodation booking is a must these days, become too popular.
And, as mentioned, 150 - 200mls can be a long day if you are taking in the sights.

Offline varonda

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: RAC orange XRT
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 04:25:14 PM »
 Agree with all previous comments but just to add about the single track sections watch out for the tour coaches full of our US colonials  they do 900 miles an hour and have absolutely no intention of using a PP and even less so for use mere mortals on two wheels , if ,and I know it's a big if, if it's dry just keep an out for the huge dust cloud in the distance and drop into the nearest PP and wait til they've gone and you'll be ok . Don't worry just go . :152: :152:
If the truth fits -- wear it !!!!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch