Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The planning for NC500  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Cpclay

• Tiger Member
  • It may not be vital but you may as well get it right
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCx
Re: The planning for NC500
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »
There is some useful information on this site. Search on fuel and it will show where you can get petrol.

http://www.northcoast500.com/interactive-map.aspx

Beware, some close early, so my advice is don't drive past an open fuel stop if you have less than half a tank. Top up and relax.
All other advice is good. It's a great route and agree to go anti clockwise the east coast although not by any means uninteresting, it can't compete with the west. Save best to last.
Clinton

1970 Royal Enfield Interceptor series2, 1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor, 1966 Royal Enfield Interceptor, 1936 Royal Enfield Model C, 1947 Douglas T35, 1953 BSA B33

Offline felix

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 05:00:09 PM »

Some great tips above....

I dont normally like planning stops, but as above..... digs can get busy so maybe best to pre-book.

I quite liked the hotel / Inn at Smoo Cave (Reasonable price / great food & bar + a nice walk around the cave on the evening !). There are plenty of other fab places to stop tho...

The A9 - Once past Edinburgh, many head for the A9 to Inverness - i hate that road - watch out for Plod (marked & unmarked) & cameras galore. A better route is to Head over to Blairgowrie and then onto Glenshee / The Lecht / Tomintoul etc..... more scenic any you dont have to worry about your licence (hopefully !).

After the NC 500, there are lots of options to head back south. Have a look at Kyle of lochalsh to Fort William, then down to Oban (lively place for a stop over too), Then follow the coast road south (A816) to Lochgilpead, then A83 to Inveraray etc..... adds a few miles on but if your not in a rush...

Whatever route you choose.... its a wonderful place.

Few pics from my last trip:

http://s14.photobucket.com/user/felixdjb/slideshow/Scotland%20NC%20500%20Trip%20-%20April%202017?sort=9

Or a Vid from a mates bike (alas not all pics are in order):

/>
Have FUN ! !

:001:

Online GaryH

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2017 XRT Red
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 06:41:06 PM »
Done it twice now in the past 2 years and this Friday will be number 3. But this time I'm doing something different.

I'm leaving Edinburgh very early and going up the West Coast (clockwise) then along the top to my overnight stop in Tongue. It'll be approx. 440 miles. Then on Saturday I'm doing a u-turn and coming back the exact same way I came up, another 440 miles (ish). I've decided I'm not going any further East than Tongue, it doesn't interest me in the way the West coast does.

I fully understand OP you'll want to complete the whole route if it's your first time, but the advice in an earlier post from felix about heading inland to Glenshee/The Lecht etc is exactly what I'd do, it's stunning compared to the East Coast.

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have a top time, you can't go far wrong even if you do venture off the beaten track.
Bad news is time flies, Good news is you're the pilot

Online Nick_2112

• Tiger Master
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 07:02:05 PM »
Check out this guy's video's (The Missenden Flyer) he does the NC767 the route was apparently in MCN, which is basically the NC500 with a bit extra on the start and the end, He also comes from the south.

It's a very interesting view from the 'riders seat' and gives some good ideas as what you will need.

Link;

Offline Leicester Tiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRT
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 08:08:07 PM »
3 of us heading to the NC500 on the 22nd. We have a hostel booked just south of Inverness for the night before the start, then we are camping or winging last minute hostels en-route.
Lots of good info and ideas on the www and YouTube. We're on two tigers and setting off from Leicestershire.
A YouTube video will hopefully follow...
To finish first, one first has to finish...

White 2018MY XRT

Offline deanoreynolds

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Daytona 675R
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 12:23:26 AM »
Thank you all so much for such great responses.
I feel blessed to have found this forum!

In relation to the Missenden Flyer's videos, I have subscribed to him previously so watched his videos. Nice easy watch.

Is it easy to stay on the 'ACTUAL' route for the NC500? Or is it easy to come off it? I don't want to miss anything for the first time.  :002:

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 01:06:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by deanoreynolds [+]
I don't want to miss anything for the first time.  :002:

Sorry but that is the wrong way to start. Needing to "see" or "do" specific things or to "be" at particular places will cause stress and make the ride less enjoyable. As I said earlier just go with the flow. What you see you see and what you miss gives you a reason to go back some other time.

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 07:09:00 AM »
Kiwi is spot on.

Offline Leicester Tiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRT
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 07:19:16 AM »
 :0461:

Done a few things like this in the past. Just roll with it. No two peoples NC500 stories will be the same..
To finish first, one first has to finish...

White 2018MY XRT

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 10:30:36 AM »
NW Coast 250 is where it's at drop down from Scourie on a diagonal towards Bonar Bridge then ride the Cairngorms loop, much better ride.

Recent Topics