Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: available GPS mounts that mount the sat nav above the clocks  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Tiga1050

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
Re: available GPS mounts that mount the sat nav above the clocks
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 08:54:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bulldogfour [+]
I drilled the front hidden Madstad mount, the one that you fit in place of the original Triumph screen mount - but beware, its really hard steel and you need a good drill.  Drill two holes and fit a 1 Ram ball fitted and with a standard 3 Ram extension the satnav goes exactly where I wanted it.

Just to clarify this for me, does this mean you have used two Ram balls, one on the Madstad mount and one on the rear of the GPS bracket?

Offline Turbo100

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 09:16:44 PM »
I used the Triumph  handlebar mount that came with my bike 2 or 3 times, IT IS DANGEROUS, NO QUESTION, IT IS TOO LOW . Use a 6" RAM extention now with a ball end eather end and it positions the satnav perfectly over the clock, no downward  head movement just a slight drop of the eyes
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was !!

Offline Bulldogfour

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 11:26:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiga1050 [+]
Just to clarify this for me, does this mean you have used two Ram balls, one on the Madstad mount and one on the rear of the GPS bracket?

Yes to a Ram ball bolted to the Madstad mount with 2 bolts, and yes to one on the back of the satnav mount with 4 bolts.  The link between takes a ball at each end and is tighter by the nut you can see in one of the photos.  I think most satnav mounts will take a standard 4 bolt ram ball, certainly TomTom ones do.
Bikes previous: NSU Quickly moped; Honda C50; Honda 305 scrambler; Yamaha RD350 (x2); Suzuki 380; Honda NX250; Harley Sportster 1200; Yamaha TDM900; Yamaha 1300 cruiser; Honda CB600F5 Hornet;
FJR1300 (x2); Triumph Explorer.

Bikes now: Triumph Tiger 800XRT - one bike less than optimum!

Offline biscut1975

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 02:44:53 PM »
Am sure that someone else posted the same set up as I have but if its any help, here is what I have:

Link to item - Handlebar mount (not used on the handlebar!) - https://buybits.com/ram-u-bolt-base-for-motorbike-handlebars-ram-b-231z-sku-3568.html

Link to item - 3" Extension arm - https://buybits.com/ram-standard-3inch-double-socket-arm-for-1inch-balls-ram-b-201-sku-3565.html

Link to item - Sat nav Case - any case that has a 1" ball mount on it. Case and extension arm held together with a double 1" ball mount - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UA-1-Inch-Double-Ball-Adapter-Extension-Extender-RAM-Arm-Link-Joiner-Mount-1/122604526104?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If you had a longer extension arm, the case can be positioned wherever you want about or besides the display.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:49:53 PM by biscut1975 »

Offline crispey

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 thrux
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 05:21:28 PM »
well ive been toying with getting an above clocks mount for my sat nav as i found the handlebar mount too close and too much of a head movement to look at it. After looking at the possibilities none actually said how they fixed behind the clocks and I was reluctant to spend another 50 odd quid so I decided to see if I could use my Ram handle bar mount that came with my tom tom, bI could. I had to cut a bit out of the screen mount bracket and shorten the bolts ( best done with the nuts on so you re thread as you take them off)

A bit of padding so the clamp tightens up nicely

Took it out for a test run and it works fine in both landscape and portrait, the screen protects it from the weather too

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC & Explorer
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 04:32:36 PM »
After a bit of fettling in my shed, this was my solution using some custom-made fixings. The nylon top bracket has since been 3D printed (SLS Nylon) in place of the prototype shown in the photos. I'll post an updated photo of that when I can.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline T120R

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 T120R
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 05:31:07 PM »
Very tidy  :002:

Offline troop

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2016 800 XCX
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 12:04:41 PM »
Any ideas on above gauge GPS mounts that will work with a Givi AF6401 windscreen? Thx

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2018, 01:45:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by troop [+]
Any ideas on above gauge GPS mounts that will work with a Givi AF6401 windscreen? Thx

I've got a TomTom Rider and used a similar solution to Crispey's above (post #24), but with the nut end of the U-bolt pointing forward and a long RAM arm rather than the shorter one that comes with the kit. I did have to shorten the U-bolt a bit. That works with an AF6401. I'll get some decent photos at some point.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 03:23:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by troop [+]

I have a 'Mick's mount' on mine with a Givi Air-Flow
No issues at all.

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Recent Topics