Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New brake pads, copper grease on the back?  (Read 5548 times)

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: New brake pads, copper grease on the back?
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2018, 03:12:06 PM »
The inside side is drawn onto the disk via the sliding pin.  Lack of wear suggests you need to clean (petrol or best bet brake cleaner AND a stiffish brush) the caliper - as in remove from fork leg and separate the sliding section from the static portion.  Clean every part, including the sliding pins (2 of them).  Re-lubricate the pins prior to re-assembly.
Stupid is as stupid does.  Look Dad... No hands!!

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2018, 06:45:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
The inside side is drawn onto the disk via the sliding pin.  Lack of wear suggests you need to clean (petrol or best bet brake cleaner AND a stiffish brush) the caliper - as in remove from fork leg and separate the sliding section from the static portion.  Clean every part, including the sliding pins (2 of them).  Re-lubricate the pins prior to re-assembly.

My bike has only one year, and the sliding pins work very smoothly.  Also, I cleaned the calliper thoroughly.  People usually do not check the wear of brake pads at the start of the breaking-in process, so I wonder whether it might be natural?  Maybe the centrifugal force of the brake disc causes the wear of the outer part of the pads more than the inner prior to the pads becoming properly bedded-in?  I changed my approach and decided to go a ride and do some harder braking without overheating the brake disc.  Braking hard without stopping and the riding a bit to cool things down.  It seems that it worked as the pads seem to be now worn on the whole surface, like the one in the picture.

Offline digger06

• Tiger Master
  • digger06
  • Bike: tiger 800 xc
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2018, 03:51:17 AM »
if the pads are wearing like that something is(or was) wrong, bent mounting bolts also suggest this, pads and bolts don't wear /bend when nothings wrong...
was the uneven wear done when you covered em with copperslip?
as for firing the pads, be it on your own head, pads are made to take heat, but naked flames? no matter how blue/white or any colour.
pads use resins in their composite, its possible heat could lead to pad material break up or separation,
I have only ever heated them with detergent as a last resort , no way would I use naked flame, my lifes worth more than that....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:54:07 AM by digger06 »

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2018, 05:36:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by digger06 [+]
if the pads are wearing like that something is(or was) wrong, bent mounting bolts also suggest this, pads and bolts don't wear /bend when nothings wrong...
was the uneven wear done when you covered em with copperslip?
as for firing the pads, be it on your own head, pads are made to take heat, but naked flames? no matter how blue/white or any colour.
pads use resins in their composite, its possible heat could lead to pad material break up or separation,
I have only ever heated them with detergent as a last resort , no way would I use naked flame, my lifes worth more than that....

Yes, burning pads (only sintered ones, that are without resins I believe) can work, but it is a risky business.  I have discarded the contaminated pads, and the pad shown in the picture is the brand new sintered ebc one. Now, they look like bedded-in evenly, but I am still not sure why they (four of them) were initially not contacting the brake disc fully.  The mounting bolts seem fine.

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »
I received an interesting answer that may explain why the outer layer of pad wears out faster:

the outer part of the disc rotates faster against the pad then the inner part so will generate more friction, heat and wear. This is quite normal.

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2018, 08:18:26 AM »
does anyone know if the buttons in the tiger's semi-floating brake disc need to be serviced occasionally?

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2018, 11:13:47 AM »
Yes the bobbins in the front discs need cleaning and freeing up if seized
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2018, 12:25:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
Yes the bobbins in the front discs need cleaning and freeing up if seized

It is difficult to determine if they are seized. in the video beloved, the person moves them around with a finger.  but i don't think you can move them around like that in the Tiger.  I tried, and they do not move.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:27:31 PM by Kris »

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2018, 12:33:51 PM »
The bobbins are on a round centre so putting a bolt through with a washer and nut on, tighten to grip bobbin and turn bolt head WHILST spraying into bobbin sides with brake cleaner will help to free them off.

DO NOT add any grease.
Stupid is as stupid does.  Look Dad... No hands!!

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XRt
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2018, 12:47:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kris [+]
... the person moves them around with a finger.  but i don't think you can move them around like that in the Tiger.  I tried, and they do not move.

:084: I don't know if this may be the answer for a Tiger but (AIUI) some of the newer discs out there use square profile bobbins (with round heads) and may not be revolved like the older round profile disc bobbins like in that youtube clip? The front discs on my XRt are marked Brembo but I don't know what profile the bobbins are but I know I can move the disc slightly by hand. :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch