Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Alternative Regulator Rectifiers for 800XC  (Read 11428 times)

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
Alternative Regulator Rectifiers for 800XC
« on: September 14, 2017, 08:03:58 PM »
HI All

I know there lots of techy info on upgrade/replacement R/R's, but has anyone tried any?
I'm off to the States soon, and there's lots of cheap SH755's on ebay.com, but the rating is 35A.
Don't want to get to bogged down in the detail, I think the ultimate will be the SH847, but realistically, I have the original on my 2012 XC, so I suspect, as part of my winter upgrade, along with relocated main fuse, and new style starter motor, anythings better for the longer term.
Anyone have an opinion?

Regards

Londonglide

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Alternative Regulator Rectifiers for 800XC
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 10:19:44 PM »
What's wrong with the OEM you have? The R/R is not a typical replacement item unless it's faulty, and then you would want to ask why it failed.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline davamb

• Tiger Master
  • Today will be difficult, but tomorrow- good riding
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 11:58:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]
... I think the ultimate will be the SH847...
Series or shunt device?
Cheers,
Dave

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »
Thanks for the input guys, in response.

*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
What's wrong with the OEM you have? The R/R is not a typical replacement item unless it's faulty, and then you would want to ask why it failed.

Because theirs a reasonable body of evidence, across many makes, that the oem original has a higher failure rate than expected, and due to the way in which it works, places a higher burden on the Stator.
As with the starter and any other "upgrades", its an opportunity to reduce risk of failure, which is always good, I think

*Originally Posted by davamb [+]
Series or shunt device?

I think this query is at the heart of the issue, because its no longer the full question.
More accurately you would need to ask

Oem diode shunt? mossfet shunt/series?  aftermarket regulation? or latest generation diode series type? is possibly more accurate, and then its down the rabbit hole of tech responses.

My take on it is that series R/Rs will reduce heat and drag at the Stator, placing less stress on it, and the latest diode R/R, the SH847 is both a series and diode, but the architecture is new, and the diode aspect is not relevent in the way the oem unit was, as it behaves differently.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 12:53:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]
Thanks for the input guys, in response.

Because theirs a reasonable body of evidence, across many makes, that the oem original has a higher failure rate than expected, and due to the way in which it works, places a higher burden on the Stator.
As with the starter and any other "upgrades", its an opportunity to reduce risk of failure, which is always good, I think

Not on the Tiger there isn't.

Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 01:20:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Not on the Tiger there isn't.

Ok Fair enough.

There seems to be evidence that there are failures of the same original device on other bikes, possibly due to airflow/heat issues, leading me to wonder that it could be replaced with a better option, negating any worries further down the line, especially if sitting in London traffic for long periods.

So a modified query might be.

Has anyone replaced or "updated" there R/R on an 800xc?
If so,  why?, and what was used to replace it.

Now that I don't have a triple bank of carbs to spend loads of time and money on, since going FI, need something else to occupy my time, as it were.
Seems to me there are improved components out there, and every little helps.

Regards
Londonglide

Offline davamb

• Tiger Master
  • Today will be difficult, but tomorrow- good riding
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 12:22:21 AM »
My bruvva runs a 1050 sprint and he also seems pre-occupied with this issue. Reckons there is a fair bit of talk about the unreliability of R/Rs and asked me to look into it. I'd already considered coming up with a synchronous rectifier and polyphase buck converter design for my old Commando, but it's the usual tale of the cobbler's children's shoes and what I've got seems to work quite satisfactorily. Sure, there's efficiency issues, but I've not had any failures. He went through 2 R/Rs on his old Varadero, so there's some background for his concern, but you wonder really how often these beasties fail in normal operation. Bring back field coils and slip rings?
Cheers,
Dave

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 01:22:48 PM »
It's not gonna' happen on the Tiger. Save your money and put it toward new tyres, chain, oil, filter, etc. They'll all wear out long before your R/R does.

Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 03:10:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by davamb [+]
...there's some background for his concern, but you wonder really how often these beasties fail in normal operation.
Bring back field coils and slip rings?
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
It's not gonna' happen on the Tiger.
Save your money...
It does appear to be a maintenance v/s upgrade issue..?
As to types of alternator (and probable issues): I once had a bike (not Tri.) with an excited field/slip ring style alt. and, due to the way it was driven, tended to wear out slip ring brushes prematurely.
Years later I bought a different make bike - but, it also had an excited field, etc. alt. So, I asked the dealer for an extra set of brushes right off. He said I wouldn't need them - but, ordered them for me anyway.
When I sold the bike  - with 122K miles on it - I looked in the little cubby on the fairing and there was the unopened package containing the new brushes...  :002:
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Jay2

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 05:54:31 PM »
Just had to have a new reg/rec on my 13 Roadie.  OEM one is 200 fitted with 12 warranty.  :138:

The dealership were as baffled as me on how or why it had failed.  :003:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch